snood

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2003 07:42 am
Seems like much ado, to me. I find it physically impossible not to look sometimes. Common sense serves to govern the line between appreciating and gawking, for me anyway.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2003 08:06 am
snood wrote:
Seems like much ado, to me.

[mightily resisting the urge to draw some parallels...]

Quick q -- where are all the women? Craven, Monger, Cav, Seal, Setanta, Thomas, jjorge, c.i., roger, BPB, Gautam, bobsmyth, Equus, snood, and a tiny little cameo from Ms. Bunny -- but that's it. (Er, 'cept me, of course.)

(More in a bit.)
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2003 08:26 am
soz, you ain't a woman, you'se a gay man in a woman's body, just like Mrs. cav Very Happy (You're not the only with that moniker, btw)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2003 08:34 am
I got me a pocket full a TTC tokens, bus, trolley or subway . . .

The subways got more intrestin' folks, just ask Neil . . .

If you see him in the subway,
He'll be down at the end of the car.
Watching you move
Until he knows he knows who you are.
When you get off at your station alone,
He'll know that you are.
Know when you see him,
Nothing can free him.
Step aside, open wide,
It's the loner.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2003 08:35 am
(And that is germaine . . . )
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2003 08:47 am
On the weekends, a TTC day pass is a better bargain, and I think at least on Sundays (not sure about Saturdays) it counts as a family pass, so couples and kiddies can all get TTC all day for $6.50.

Lots of interesting folks on the subway, that's for sure. Like the dude whose wooden leg fell off, and he sat there muttering "Goddamn, goddamn" over and over, and Torontonians being the nice people they are, nobody helped him, until my friend and I stepped up to the task. Now, he had a really funny voice too, so we did have to stop snickering before helping out, otherwise it would have been rude.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2003 08:50 am
Smile Cav...

Thomas wrote:
Speaking for myself, one of the benefits of getting older is that you learn how to make people treat you the way you want them to by subtly adjusting your own behavior. There were many instances ten years ago when I felt mistreated by groups of other people. Your mileage may vary, but in my case, I found out that the problem was mostly my own ignorance of social customs, and I now know how I could have avoided the more unpleasant situations without great cost to my individuality.

I really wish dlowan hadn't sworn off this topic, as she could reply to this much better than I could.

The behavior in this case is much, much harder to control for than you seem to think. When I was in Paris, NOBODY thought I was American -- they thought I was probably European, maybe Parisian (not once I opened my mouth, of course) -- and I knew all the tricks. Planned my route in detail ahead of time, no maps, confident, purposeful gait, fashionable but not attention-getting clothes (no white tennies for me.) I still had a lot of problems -- some nice attention (again, not all attention is bad), some oppressive/aggressive attention, especially from men in groups. A few rather dicey situations.

But it's not like I only experienced this in Europe, by a long shot, though there was plenty of it there. (I punched a guy who goosed me in some Eastern European train station -- Prague? He didn't like that much, but walked away.) But by far the greatest number of individual instances of this kind of ogling happened when I relied upon public transportation in Minneapolis, where I grew up. Strange guys staring at me on the bus, getting off after me at my stop, following me (would go to a male friend's house instead of home). The orthodontist thing I already talked about. Going to a "bad" part of town, where my friend lived. My own neighborhood was becoming rather "bad" when I was in high school -- I didn't have the autonomy to move somewhere else at the time.

I learned all of the coping mechanisms I could -- how to walk, when to make eye contact and when not to, where to sit on the bus, how to stand while waiting for the bus, which routes were the worst (I would sometimes add an hour or two to my journey so as to avoid the worst routes), etc. -- but while that helped, it didn't eliminate the problem. I wore baggier, frumpier clothes and was mad about it, but STILL had problems. And got even madder.

The implication that the responsibility lies with the woman -- that if she is ogled, it's her own fault, if she is stalked, it's her own fault -- is a dangerous one, as dlowan went into quite eloquently on the thread that gave rise to this one. (Linked to in the original post.)
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2003 09:16 am
sozobe wrote:
Quick q -- where are all the women? Craven, Monger, Cav, Seal, Setanta, Thomas, jjorge, c.i., roger, BPB, Gautam, bobsmyth, Equus, snood, and a tiny little cameo from Ms. Bunny -- but that's it. (Er, 'cept me, of course.)

That's right dear. And in case you haven't noticed, all of us are oogling you Twisted Evil
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2003 09:23 am
I had a pretty friend who used to live in a not-so-great part of town. She found herself followed by creepy guys rather frequently. She would let them follow her for a bit, pretending she hadn't noticed, then spin around, look them straight in the face and yell "Take one step closer and I'll RIP YOUR ******* EYES OUT!!" Seemed to work every time...
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2003 09:30 am
Funny thing is - no one has said anything abt men being ogled !
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2003 09:36 am
Don't be lookin' at my ass, Man . . .
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2003 09:41 am
Thomas, phhhhhhhtttttttht.

Cav, yeah, I did variations of that, too. "Worked", but could've not. And then it would've been... my fault?

I noticed that too, Gautam. What's your take on that? Do men not get ogled? Do they not notice? Does it not bother them because of the rarity?

This reminds me that while the agressive oglers (purposely making me feel uncomfortable) were the worst, they made me far less patient with "regular" oglers (normal guys who just happened to look.) What I found was if I quickly glared at one of those regular guys, they'd get flustered and stop. They didn't seem to realize that a) I'd notice, at all, or b) I'd care.

Now that I don't have to deal with that crap (no public transportation, live in an area where that is not culturally accepted in general), I notice that I have far more patience for "regular" oglers, if that even happens at all. I'm much less eye-catching now than I used to be (for reasons both physical and sartorial), and toting a tot seems to reduce ogling likelihood, too -- Madonna/ whore, or something. Confused Anyway, when a guy does check me out, now, it is unusual enough that it doesn't contribute to the feeling of oppression and danger, and is easier to react to in and of itself.

That is definitely regional, though, too -- it was just a little while ago that I had to deal with major aggressive oglers in L.A. (San Fernando Valley.)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2003 09:44 am
I'd say women play the "ogling" game with more finesse than men . . . men, for example, do not notice mirrors to the same degree as women . . . i might walk through a department store, and if a woman catches sight of me, and decides to check me out (no ego here, i'm aware she may well decide it's not worth the effort), she would very likely look at a mirror, or a mirroring surface, so as not to be as overt . . . i've been checked out by women beofre, both those who attempt to conceal the activity, and those who want me to know they're lookin' . . .
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2003 09:49 am
Innerestin', Setanta.

Oh and by the way, I just remembered that we did go briefly into men being ogled when I recounted my conversation with E.G. He is most definitely NOT homophobic, but has been in situations where he has been ogled, a lot, and didn't like it. (For example, he had a gay roommate -- no problem -- but when he went with the gay roommate to a gay bar, and was majorly ogled, that bothered him. I realize that he should have expected as much, and he did, he just didn't predict the intensity and how it would make him feel -- he thought he'd be able to shrug it off, or be flattered.)
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2003 09:49 am
Oh men do get ogled !! But they are so busy ogling others that they don't notice !! Laughing

But seriously, I have seen men getting ogled pretty frequently, specially if there a bunch of girls in a party mood in a bar. And when it does happen, it is even more flustering cause girls have this habit of "discussing" (or as I say dissecting) immediately amongst themselves !! Laughing And even more so when they burst out giggling Wink

Most of my women friends look - though discreetly. And you should see the comments from one of my english friends (makes me blush even) when she is watching Tim Hennman play - she loves his legs (which are pretty good in my opinion as well) Wink
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2003 09:55 am
sozobe wrote:
Smile ...The behavior in this case is much, much harder to control for than you seem to think. When I was in Paris, NOBODY thought I was American -- they thought I was probably European, maybe Parisian (not once I opened my mouth, of course) -- and I knew all the tricks. Planned my route in detail ahead of time, no maps, confident, purposeful gait, fashionable but not attention-getting clothes (no white tennies for me.) I still had a lot of problems --

...But it's not like I only experienced this in Europe, by a long shot, though there was plenty of it there. (I punched a guy who goosed me in some Eastern European train station -- Prague? He didn't like that much, but walked away.) But by far the greatest number of individual instances of this kind of ogling happened when I relied upon public transportation in Minneapolis, where I grew up. Strange guys staring at me on the bus, getting off after me at my stop, following me (would go to a male friend's house instead of home)...

...I learned all of the coping mechanisms I could -- how to walk, when to make eye contact and when not to, where to sit on the bus, how to stand while waiting for the bus, which routes were the worst (I would sometimes add an hour or two to my journey so as to avoid the worst routes), etc. -- but while that helped, it didn't eliminate the problem. I wore baggier, frumpier clothes and was mad about it, but STILL had problems. And got even madder.....The implication that the responsibility lies with the woman -- that if she is ogled, it's her own fault, if she is stalked, it's her own fault -- is a dangerous one ...

Soz,

I don't want to put you on the spot ( don't respond if you don't wish to) and I don't disagree with or dispute anything you have said thus far....

...BUT...

I have to say that some women are UNUSUALLY eye-catching, whether it's a striking figure a very pretty face, or beautiful hair or eyes (--or yes, large breasts) Sometimes it can be difficult for even the most refined and
sensitive male to restrain himself from ogling a woman like that.

I'm sure that for such women especially, ogling can be a source of great frustration, and anxiety and can even feel like a 'cross' that they are condemned to bear.
Certainly it is one of the reasons (though not the only one) that some women seek breast reduction surgery.

What is the answer? I don't know.
I do think, however, that men should be brief and discreet and not bold in glancing at women, and any sign of discomfort should be taken as a signal that he must turn his attention elsewhere.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2003 09:56 am
sozobe wrote:
I really wish dlowan hadn't sworn off this topic, as she could reply to this much better than I could.

Actually, you've replied extremely well -- just in case you didn't notice after finishing your post. Smile

sozobe wrote:
The behavior in this case is much, much harder to control for than you seem to think.

For the record, I don't think the behavior is easy to control in your case. That's why I made sure to announce I was speaking for myself: I just know my own case much better than any other.

sozobe wrote:
When I was in Paris, NOBODY thought I was American -- they thought I was probably European, maybe Parisian (not once I opened my mouth, of course) -- and I knew all the tricks.

I'm in no position to disagree in any informed way of course, but I'm skeptical about this point. I heard your story independently from several American women, one of whom is a common friend of ours. Strangely, I never hear it from the German women I'm friends with. I have no idea what the difference is between German and American women. If I spend time in Paris with a woman, she is in male company by definition, so there is no horny male Parisian behavior for me to observe. But I strongly suspect there is an incompatibility with Parisian men that is specific to American women but not to others. I'm not saying it's the Americans' fault, just an incompatibility that's country-specific.

sozobe wrote:
The implication that the responsibility lies with the woman -- that if she is ogled, it's her own fault, if she is stalked, it's her own fault -- is a dangerous one, as dlowan went into quite eloquently on the thread that gave rise to this one. (Linked to in the original post.)

You may want to remember that my original comment was about the photograph you posted, whose title and scenery specifically played at the culture thing. For this scene it makes much more sense than in your case to say "if you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen." or: "If you can't stand the oogling, don't travel to a country with a macho culture -- at least not without male company." Responding to Craven's follow-up I said that for all I know, women's reaction to oogling "could be both", an incomplete knowledge of how to navigate the culture or a legitimate complaint. I elaborated on both explanations a bit, but at no point did I make a general implication like the one in your above quote. If you think this implication is mine, you're arguing against a straw man.

-- Thomas
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2003 10:09 am
I'm just waiting for someone to start an account with the name "Straw Man".... Razz

OK, I guess I misread your statements, as I did think that was the implication. You said, "If you can't stand the oogling, don't travel to a country with a macho culture -- at least not without male company." So a woman decides to travel to a country with a macho culture, alone... then what? She has the right to complain, but she should've known better? Does she carry any responsibility?
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2003 10:17 am
I am a pierced long haired rocker who lives in a predominantly eisenhower era button down collar republican neighborhood, so I am used to being ogled repeatedly, but I'm not so sure it's in a complimentary fashion Very Happy .

It's been my experience however that every woman (just about) harbors a secret desire to see what a wild man long haired bad boy would be like in the sack just once. :wink:

thanks to squinney I am retired from such services, but I used to be a major East Coast provider. Cool
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2003 10:18 am
Oh and I forgot to respond to you, jjorge. I totally see what you're saying, and think you sum it up best in your last lines.
0 Replies