Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2011 02:36 pm
@Setanta,
...or maybe you can...would racism fit the target better ? (not that I agree with him)
Setanta

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2011 02:40 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
I don't see that as having been Max's claim--however, it wouldn't rise to the level of racism unless one alleged that this was behavior unique to white men. It might be seen as an ethnic slur against the Italians, but, once again, the burden of proof is on the person who makes such an allegation.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2011 02:44 pm
The post, a few back, by Panzade provided some context to me -

http://able2know.org/topic/9126-12#post-4705927

I've no idea about Orkin's intent. The comment that Jinx Allen was the model is ambiguous to me, relative to how much the shot was or was not planned, in Orkin's mind or between the two of them beforehand. Piazza della Repubblica is often a busy place and like Orkin, I've turned around and gone back to shoot something I'd already passed through after it registered while I was walking. For me, spontaneously, but I don't know Orkin's mind. Which tells me I need to read up.

It might have been what we now think of as a political move - more likely to me, it was capturing experience. Or, both, nascent political.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2011 02:47 pm
@Setanta,
correct...I did simplify the argument in the worst possible manner...and yes the burden of proof falls upon me...nevertheless I was just arguing for the plausibility of such hypothesis...I won´t bother to take it any further then that Set...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2011 02:52 pm
@ossobuco,
In 1951, I was ten. Orkin was thirty. Setanta was very young.

I was not a feminist, that I thought of, in '51, though my father had already told me I could be anything I wanted to be, and to go for it. I can't guess from here what Orkin thought.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2011 07:49 pm
@ossobuco,
Looks like I got the name of the woman wrong. I've the same views, though,

Consider my last post when you look at Set's instructions on feminism.

As I said, I have no idea what Orkin was thinking.
0 Replies