roger

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 04:22 pm
leering
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 04:26 pm
Never heard of that before, Craven. Looked it up, seems pretty good.

http://members.lycos.co.uk/maddoggers/hobbies.html

"Leering" is probably better than "ogling", yup. Has an extra layer of menace/ unwanted attention to it.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 04:34 pm
Main Entry: chau·vin·ism
Pronunciation: 'shO-v&-"ni-z&m
Function: noun
Etymology: French chauvinisme, from Nicolas Chauvin, character noted for his excessive patriotism and devotion to Napoleon in Théodore and Hippolyte Cogniard's play La Cocarde tricolore (1831)
Date: 1851
1 : excessive or blind patriotism -- compare JINGOISM
2 : undue partiality or attachment to a group or place to which one belongs or has belonged
3 : an attitude of superiority toward members of the opposite sex; also : behavior expressive of such an attitude
- chau·vin·ist /-v&-nist/ noun or adjective
- chau·vin·is·tic /"shO-v&-'nis-tik/ adjective
- chau·vin·is·ti·cal·ly /-ti-k(&-)lE/ adverb

Slappy is only one out of three...not fair to tag him, methinks....Smile Oops, his posting here may bring it to a 2 out of 3...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 04:39 pm
In case there's any question, I luuuuv Slappy, I think he's wonderful, I think he's smart, I think he's compassionate, (though I also think he'd rather give Gary Coleman a Swedish massage than admit it), I just thought that was the obvious reponse to "Stop being so damn sensitive." Shall append a winky next time. Wink
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 04:44 pm
I blanked on the little guys last name (brain cells are keeling over faster every day, I tell ya), checked Google to make sure I had it right, found this, thought you might appreciate it:

http://www.robotfrank.com/garycoleman.html
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 04:52 pm
Webster isn't bitter....whazzup with Gary?
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 05:05 pm
I finally managed to read this whole thread, and have enjoyed all of your thoughts.

The worst ogling I ever experienced was in Morocco. I was only there briefly, and got a taste of what it would be like to be considered beautiful in the US, I think. At first it was fun - crowds of men watching me, whistles, even a few marriage proposals! (My friends loved that! They were both gorgeous brunettes and were completely ignored there.) All this because I had blond hair and looked American?, I guess. But it was tiresome very quickly. I never felt that I was in danger - but it could have tipped that way very easily.

I specifically remember the first time I noticed a guy watching my breasts and the way it made me feel. I was in college. I never ran down those stairs again.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 01:48 am
Wow, lots of catching up to do! For starters, I had missed the question Craven was asking me half a thread ago:

Craven de Kere wrote:
Does having large breasts make the woman responsible somehow? I pose this question to Thomas as another facet to consider.

Well, I guess I have firmly established a bad, chauvinist reputation by now anyway, so I can just say it like it is. Yes it makes them responsible, but not in the context of oogling, and in the opposite way than you expect. As you have so aptly observed in one of your own threads a couple of weeks ago, breasts are crucial in teaching babies how to nod in agreement and shake their heads in disagreement. If a mother's breasts are too small, she impedes the whole learning process and thereby spoils her child for life -- it will never be able to communicate whether it wants something or not. So yes, I think women should definitely take charge of their breast size, get that silicon, and fill 'em up if necessary. Everything else would be grossly irresponsible to the child.

Razz

In the context of oogling, breast size makes no difference responsibilitywise of course, and you know it.

-- Thomas
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 08:39 am
Man, giving Gary Coleman a Swedish massage...OH YESSS!

Oh, aren't we talking about ogling? I have a message for you women: I'm a person. Not some piece of meat. I have feelings. Remember that next time you walk up and grab my ass while I'm walking down the street. I'm really getting sick of being groped, whistled at, and being yelled at as you drive by in your VW cabrios.

Thanks. And Soz, you're right. I is wicked smaht and stuff. Peanut butter is good.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 05:38 pm
Thomas; you've really got to watch that "straight face" stuff; remember on a2k there is no such thing as "body language" to temper your comments!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 07:29 pm
That's what all those smiley faces are for, but I usually resist using them. Therefore I am misapprehended fairly often, oh well.
0 Replies

Paola

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2003 09:31 am
I haven't been able to read this entire discussion because it is far too long! I read the first two pages and then what Ossobuco writes on pg 20, I would just like to add that, aside from having heard from many years back that 'tis a posed photo, Italian men have come a loooooong way from all that leering. This is a country where women, young and not so young, loll practically naked on the beach, boobs flapping all over the place and postage stamp sized bottoms, men have seen it all, everybody goes to those beach resorts here, and while occasional appreciative looks are in order I think they are beyond all that leering. Everyone is very casual about it all. Times have changed. But I'm off to Sicily in a few days and will let you all know what it's like there.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2003 12:08 pm
Buon viaggio, Paola!
0 Replies

Paola

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2003 01:48 pm
Thanks! xxx!
0 Replies

CerealKiller

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2003 01:31 am
Didn't some state try to pass a 9 second rule. You can look a person up and down for 9 seconds and after that it would be considered harrassment. Not surprised it never flew.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2003 07:49 am
stare at her 4 9 seconds, her clothing would b on fire!
far 2 long!

would the gorilla rule b better; never make eye contact; everything is done surreptitiously?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2003 07:59 am
You don't "look her up and down. . . ." for any length of time. You start at the feet and work up. Leering after eye contact is made is just not polite.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2003 08:23 am
gorillas r'nt good @ etiquette! Shocked
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2003 11:56 am
This happened a while back and I planned to post in here but forgot, then something I just wrote on the "5 Gay Men..." thread jogged my memory...

A couple of weeks ago I went to the bookstore, and the... clerk?... person behind the counter was this tall, very well-built guy wearing a very tight t-shirt. It was just cotton, and I think he was straight -- those kinds of t-shirts are pretty common these days. (It wasn't like, mesh.) But it REALLY showed off his bod, and his bod was something to see. So I was kind of checking him out, and then he gave me this "I'm not just a piece of meat" look and I was like whoa! Embarrassed That was part one of having a bit more understanding, part two was my immediate reaction (thought, not spoken) -- "Well, if you're going to obviously spend so much time on making your body look good and then wear clothes to show off your efforts, what do you expect?"

Shocked

So I think that's an important part of this whole puzzle, fashion and clothes and why people wear what they wear and how women have (in recent history) had clothes that are more sexualizing but how that is shifting to encompass men and men's clothes more and more.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2003 12:06 pm
Sozobe wrote:
So I think that's an important part of this whole puzzle,

It is! It's also a nice piece of the "Experience and true understanding" puzzle, isn't it? (Not sure if that was the title of the thread) The intellectual arguments of the matter haven't changed at all, but your understanding of it must have changed quite a lot as a result of experiencing it yourself.
0 Replies