Lash

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 06:23 pm
Lilk--

Lovely pics.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 06:24 pm
Lash, enjoy them and the complimentary visual tourist trek through the cape.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 25 May, 2007 07:50 pm
So, this is the first true test of the Cape Cod Flyover.... or is it the Bourne Flyover? Or the Canal Flyover?

Mitt Romney finally pushed through a plan (it'd been shuffled around for some time) to take out the cumbersome rotary on the mainland side of the canal and put in a straight road which leads directly up to the bridge that crosses to the cape side. Now, the rotary was there for a reason. It allowed traffic to merge onto the bridge from three directions as well as letting people off the bridge. But, the trip became ever more difficult as more and more tourists visited during the summer and as more and more residents commuted to mainland jobs.

Memorial Day weekend is the start of the summer season on CC. The wait at the bridge, sitting in hot, mostly stopped traffic) could add 20-40 minutes onto to a trip on or off the cape. Traffic could be backed up for miles. The Globe is reporting (I just checked) that the traffic was moving much more quickly (20 MPH!) and has deemed the Flyover a success. Locals aren't so sure (listen to their worries at this NPR website - NPR). We'll have a better picture later in the summer.

Oh, and it's the Sagamore Flyover.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 27 May, 2007 09:01 am
It was awesome (we just got back yesterday) -- the loss of the rotary was terrific, we didn't hit traffic (had, of course, to do with when we left and when we returned) and it was a LOT safer.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 27 May, 2007 12:27 pm
first hand news! My parents have just returned from Greece and will be heading on-cape today. They were wondering about how the flyover held up.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 28 May, 2007 07:21 am
Oh, it's great and very smooth, no potholes, virgin turf, as it were.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 04:20 pm
I just heard on WBUR that at one point there was a 17 mile (unprecedented) back up trying to get off the cape on Monday.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 05:08 pm
Oof. Good thing we left on Saturday, or we'd still be in line.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 08:23 pm
I do NOT love the gnats! Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2007 06:26 pm
Low tide at Rock Harbor....... a lovely little tidal harbor.

Little treasures

Funny enough, we'd just been talking about hermit crabs out of their shells. I was the only one to have seen one and then, the day after talking about it, I found another
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i175/Gigipix/Cape%20Cod/2007July_rockharborlife04small.jpg

Another odd sight - a tick on a snail, below the high water mark
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i175/Gigipix/Cape%20Cod/2007July_rockharborlife01small.jpg

Yet a third rare find - all in one quick visit - a rather large moon snail
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i175/Gigipix/Cape%20Cod/2007July_rockharborlife07small.jpg

Barnacles at low tide, closed tight
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i175/Gigipix/Cape%20Cod/2007jun_barnicles1small.jpg

And, Rock Harbor itself. The trees you can barely see out in the water are there to guide the boats along the channel
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i175/Gigipix/Cape%20Cod/2007July_rockharbor05small.jpg
0 Replies

mikey

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2007 07:01 pm
mitt's flyover project is a joke and a total failure as well as his health care program and everything else they rammed down our throats as he and shannon tiptoed out the back door at the last minute. any idiot knows that bridge can only handle so much traffic at any given time no matter what you do.

i've been driving to boston every saturday unfortunatley to get bait and it has taken me 8 hours round trip on some days even taking the back roads to get off cape. coming back sometimes you do better taking 24 going over the bourne bridge then along the canal to 6. other times coming home i get off at exit 2 in plymouth, down 3a and loop over to the bridge that way. i tried to go today and beat the saturday turnover rush but gave up after it took me over an hour to get to exit nine the back way. i think they all gave up and left a day early due to the bad weather all week.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 07:20 pm
Here's a strip of cape cod which is a sand dune - a natural breaker. It also naturally breaks on occasion. When there's a cut (due to storms), cars can't drive out to the end like the cars have done in the photo below. There was a cut made near this spot a few years ago.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i175/Gigipix/Cape%20Cod/2007aug_forthillcarssmall.jpg
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2008 03:43 pm
We just found a new great restaurant in Brewster. It's Mexican - yum! So, now I know of two, Burrito Bistro in Hyannis and this new one called El Guapo on underpass road where the bike path crosses it. Wow!
0 Replies

contracowboy

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2010 09:52 pm
Cape Cod is one of the most depressing places on earth. I'd rather be in an episode of Lost.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 8 May, 2010 12:21 pm
Wow, almost 2 years since I last posted here!
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 8 May, 2010 12:24 pm
@littlek,
It's a crying shame that you a such a negligent parent to this thread. Crying or Very sad I think I shall call the Department of Social Thread Services now. Sad
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sat 8 May, 2010 12:48 pm
@littlek,
As a matter of fact, I flew over Cape Cod, and enjoyed the magnificent landscape, less than 48 hours ago...
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 8 May, 2010 12:55 pm
Tsar - gimme another chance!

Francis, were you here?
plainoldme

Reply Sat 8 May, 2010 01:01 pm
I'm going to the Cape next week for a faculty retreat and I am excited! I haven't been to the ocean in several years and need it.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sat 8 May, 2010 02:04 pm
@littlek,
No, lk, I was on the plane that just brought me to Paris, coming from California..

However, the weather was quite clear and I could see the area, that I recognized..

I saw Long Island too..
0 Replies