my intro paragraph...

Reply Wed 7 Feb, 2007 11:10 pm
Ok...I need the some help making my intro paragraph better for my 5 page essay... heres it is....

Humans are bind to their environment ever since they are born. They would live, consume, reproduce and return in their environment. In order to survive better in their environment, human would divide along themselves in groups to live in a different area, ensuring the survival of their own race. This results in many cultures and countries today in the world. In The Time Machine, Wells suggested that human beings had created a class relation along themselves - higher class and lower class, possibly between rich and poor - to survive better in their environment. However, that social relation they had created played a destructive role in modifying the environment itself.

Please give me some comments! Thank you!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 795 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Shapeless

Reply Thu 8 Feb, 2007 01:45 am
Hi Englishnewb. You're off to a fine start. Here are just a few, very basic comments:

englishnewb wrote:
Humans are bind to their environment ever since they are born.

You need the past participle of "to bind," which is bound: "Humans are bound to their environment..."

englishnewb wrote:
They would live, consume, reproduce and return in their environment.

Here you are describing habitual actions--i.e. describing what humans generally do over time. When you're describing habitual actions, you should use the simple present tense rather than the conditional tense: rather than say "They would live...," you can say simply that "They live..."

englishnewb wrote:
In order to survive better in their environment, human would divide along themselves in groups to live in a different area, ensuring the survival of their own race.

Since the sentence begins with a plural pronoun ("their"), make sure the subject is also plural: "humans" rather than "human." Also, this is another instance where you should remove the "would" and use the simple present tense.

englishnewb wrote:
This results in many cultures and countries today in the world.

You can remove "in the world" because it is already implied (i.e. there is nowhere else those cultures and countries could be except in this world).
0 Replies

englishnewb

Reply Thu 8 Feb, 2007 11:24 pm
thanks alot!!!!
0 Replies