Do you know what I mean?

fansy

Reply Wed 7 Feb, 2007 09:53 pm
Here are two phrases: To hang on the man in power or to hang on a moneybag. Do you understand what I mean?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 600 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 7 Feb, 2007 10:08 pm
Are you saying someone would use a powerful person for personal gain?

There is an English expression: to ride a man's coattails. This means a person would gain by supporting someone already in power without working for it themselves. Is that what you mean?

Used in a sentence:

Mr. Jones rode the coattails of Governor Smith to become the new health inspector.
0 Replies

fansy

Reply Wed 7 Feb, 2007 11:15 pm
Exactly what is meant by my coinage "hang on "
Yes, in our society (indeed in all societies) there are people who exploit the power or influence of the person in power, or having a lot of money, or of the dead person for personal gains. So, can I say ride the coattail of the man in power, ride the coattail of a moneybag, ride the coattail of a dead man?
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Thu 8 Feb, 2007 01:12 am
You can really only use the coattail expression for a person [living], because a moneybag does not wear a coat, nor does a dead man!
0 Replies

fansy

Reply Thu 8 Feb, 2007 02:24 am
Not even ...
Not even when used in a figurative way?
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 8 Feb, 2007 09:20 am
I think you could use the term even if the person is dead. Many people have continued to use the power of a person even after they are gone.

Sentence and example:

Elvis Presley impersonators still ride his coattail to make a living.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Thu 8 Feb, 2007 10:42 am
Well, that's true, but it only sounds right if you insert the word "still" as if to explicitly say to the reader, "...even though he's dead!"
0 Replies