Survivor - Fiji

Linkat

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 11:09 am
Tico wrote:
Ooops, you're right, I'm wrong -- that wasn't what sent Earl to Exile. Later today, or tomorrow, I'll re-watch the show, on line, and get my facts straight. Very Happy

I do remember when Boo was trying to decide who was going to Exile, the camera panned the group and Earl seemed to be giving Boo a little nod, before Boo actually said his name. There's no doubt that Earl wanted to get the next clue.

If he finds it, would he share? (I wouldn't.)

No he wouldn't. He'd just be quiet about it.

And you are right about the reward vs. immunity, but I think he intentially lost both (now he feels confident that he isn't a target) - he doesn't want to be perceived as a threat and he wanted to go to exile. Keep them thinking about some one else and then wham when it counts - start winning them all.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 11:38 am
Tico wrote:
I do remember when Boo was trying to decide who was going to Exile, the camera panned the group and Earl seemed to be giving Boo a little nod, before Boo actually said his name. There's no doubt that Earl wanted to get the next clue.

That's what I was thinking too. Earl was giving Boo the nod and Boo specifically stated he was sending Earl because he knew Earl wouldn't hold it against him. Yauman, Earl, and Cassandra don't want the immunity idol falling in the wrong hands! It makes sense that they would manipulate people and orchestrate events so that someone in their inner-circle of three would go to Exile Island and get the clue. The three of them have excelled in using their individual talents and skills to keep moving ahead without making it obvious that they're working together.

It's now down to six and I don't think Yauman, Earl, and Cassandra are going anywhere. This next elimination, the three will probably orchestrate so that Boo, Stacey, and Dreamz believe the goal is to get Yauman to spend his idol so it's no longer in play. Five will probably vote for Yauman (making Boo, Stacey, and Dreamz think that Earl and Cassandra are "with" them), Yauman will vote to oust Dreamz (probably) and Yauman will use his immunity idol before the vote is read. Dreamz will go. That will give Yauman, Earl, and Cassandra control of the remaining game because they'll have the numbers: 3 to 2. Unless Boo wins the immunity challenge, I see him as the next one to go.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 11:49 am
One thing that has struck me since the 7th season or so is that while we all know that the winner gets a million, "playing for second" still nets you a good amount of money. (Nick at Nite is showing old "America's Home Videos" now -- remember when their $100,000 grand prize was a huge deal? That's the second-prize amount on Survivor). And the prize amounts seem to continue on down to last place.

Found this:

Quote:
On "Survivor," contestants receive considerably more. The winner gets $1 million, and of course, he or she doesn't have to share with a team. The runner-up gets $100,000, which is why Jeff Probst often tells the runners-up that they made a $900,000 mistake. The person who comes in third receives $85,000, as "Survivor Guatemala" third-place contestant Rafe has confirmed in several interviews since last week's finale.

The first person voted off receives $2,500, although on the all-star edition, Tina reportedly received 10 times that, $25,000, for coming in last place; presumably, the other returning cast members were also given larger prizes (first prize was still a million dollars, though). There were also multiple reports that for coming in eighth on the first season, Jenna received $27,500. And we learned from Richard Hatch's tax woes that, for appearing on the reunion, contestants each receive $10,000.

Wikipedia's (anyone-can-edit, read-with-caution) page on Survivor breaks down the other prizes as follows, and while all of their numbers jibe with the ones we know for sure, the others aren't as heavily confirmed.

Winner, $1,000,000
Runner-up, $100,000
3rd, $85,000
4th, $70,000
5th, $55,000
6th, $45,000
7th, $35,000
8th, $27,500
9th, $20,000
10th, $15,000
11th, $10,000
12th, $7,500
13th, $5,500
14th, $4,500
15th, $3,500
16th, $2,500

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10298817/

So Dreamz (for example) has probably already won at least $45,000. I bet he can really use that, no matter what. It's not crazy money, but it's nothing to sneeze at.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 12:23 pm
I'm thinking I could apply for next year - with my 6 months salary retention and my 6 weeks severence package if I could simply come in about 8th place and have a year off from work. I wouldn't need to have a new job until Aug. 2009 and I would get a vacation out of it.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 01:57 pm
Roberta wrote:
It would be helpful to know ALL the votes. Then everyone would have a better sense of who did what.

Thanks, Tico, for getting me the info. Next time, maybe I'll watch the show to the end. However, I was thinking (and didn't state clearly) that it would be helpful for the people in the game to know the results of all the votes. Then they'd know who was loyal and who wasn't. Who was keeping their word and who wasn't. I've always thought this.

Earl (or as my parents would have called him--Oil) is a very interesting player. He doesn't win anything. Never even comes close. Never presents himself as a threat. Yet I get the impression that he's the person in charge. I think the one person it will be hardest to manipulate will be Yao-man. He is one tough dude.

That raft ride took my breath away. Tres spectucular.
0 Replies

caribou

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 02:18 pm
I think Alex was digging in the sand with his baseball hat in one hand.

Enjoying the show.
Yes, I think the editing was done to make it more dramatic. I know during tribal, I was saying "no, not Yau-man!" over and over.

Cassandra is a little too nice for my taste and smiles just a little too much. But, yes, she knows the players. She's a smart one.

Interesting....
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 06:19 pm
Ooooh!!!

Genius move, dude!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 06:59 pm
Yeah, baby.

Love that Yau-man.

What's that do to Cassandra's place in the alliance, though?

I guess it'll be Yau-man, Earl, and a foil at the final three -- whether Dreamz, Boo, or Cassandra. Has Cassandra made enough enemies?

She was sure squirming.
0 Replies

Tico

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 08:17 pm
Not only is he a smart cookie, but he's got great instincts as well. I'm very impressed.

Cassandra may well squirm. The others will discover who voted which way soon enough. I doubt that Earl or Yau-Man will look kindly on her breaking of the faith ... while Boo remained true to them.

One immunity idol left with one chance to play it. And the question of whether Dreamz will hold to his word. I think the finale will be good.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 09:46 pm
Yau-man is amazing. What a shock! Trading immunity for a truck! Great instincts. This guy gets my vote, which counts for zero.

They've got five people left, and the finale is Sunday. This is unusual. I wonder what the producers have up their sleeve.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 07:00 am
Boo voted Yau-man, too. In fact, that was an eyebrow-raiser for me. Who talked to him, when?

It was 4 votes for Yau-man, but only 3 of them were read. I was going over how Jeff phrased it and Yau-man could probably figure it out, but not necessarily. After it was 2 Stacy and 2 Yau-man, Jeff said that if the next vote was for Yau-man (as opposed to some other, third name), Stacy was going home. What about if the next vote was for STACY?

I'm worried that Cassandra will convince them that she didn't vote for Yau-man -- but her squirming was pretty obvious, Yau-man probably saw it.

I loved how he dragged out the decision and watched what everyone did. I think that's what put him over the edge, seeing all these anxious people (Stacy, Dreamz, Cassandra) look over their shoulders at him as he took longer and longer.

Sunday it will still be 3-2 -- Boo, Dreamz, and Cassandra could try to take out now-immunity-idol-less Yau-man -- but they don't know that Earl has the immunity idol. I think he'd use it to save Yau-man, but we'll see. (Yau-man could also win immunity, himself.)

Roberta, I think they did this last year too (I wasn't watching though). A final three rather than a final two.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 07:45 am
Yeah, Soz. Last year they had a final three. But this will be a final four, assuming that there's one more elimination before the final round.

I'll be interested to see how this is gonna work.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 07:48 am
Oh, I see. I assumed elimination, elimination, final three. But that doesn't really make sense, does it. We'll see on Sunday!
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 09:22 am
sozobe wrote:
Boo voted Yau-man, too. In fact, that was an eyebrow-raiser for me. Who talked to him, when?

It was 4 votes for Yau-man, but only 3 of them were read. I was going over how Jeff phrased it and Yau-man could probably figure it out, but not necessarily. After it was 2 Stacy and 2 Yau-man, Jeff said that if the next vote was for Yau-man (as opposed to some other, third name), Stacy was going home. What about if the next vote was for STACY?

I'm worried that Cassandra will convince them that she didn't vote for Yau-man -- but her squirming was pretty obvious, Yau-man probably saw it.

I loved how he dragged out the decision and watched what everyone did. I think that's what put him over the edge, seeing all these anxious people (Stacy, Dreamz, Cassandra) look over their shoulders at him as he took longer and longer.

Sunday it will still be 3-2 -- Boo, Dreamz, and Cassandra could try to take out now-immunity-idol-less Yau-man -- but they don't know that Earl has the immunity idol. I think he'd use it to save Yau-man, but we'll see. (Yau-man could also win immunity, himself.)

Roberta, I think they did this last year too (I wasn't watching though). A final three rather than a final two.

Stacie's big mouth tipped Yau-Man off when she told Jeff it would probably be a split vote. Both Yau-Man and Earl raised their eyebrows and shot looks on that comment. Also, at one point, Jeff said it would be a million dollar mistake to sit there and allow yourself to be voted out when you have the immunity idol in your pocket. You're right, their squirming and casting glances at him to see if he would actually use the idol had to clinch it for Yau-Man. He had to figure out by then, if he didn't use it, he was making a million dollar mistake.

The previews for the final show posed the question whether Dreamz would honor his deal with Yau-Man, so that makes me think Yau-Man at least gets to the final four.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 09:47 am
sozobe wrote:

I took that the only way it would not be Stacy is if it was so one else's name besides Yao or Stacy so it was unnecessary to say Stacy.

The other thing was the Boo hiding place - he is not as stupid as he appears or pretends to be. There are many sly people in this series - really like how it is being played. Although I doubt Boo heard about Earl finding the idol as I would think the others would split the vote between the two.

I believe Boo was involved in the voting - didn't Stacy go speak with him?

Do you think Earl is holding back on the challenges? Can he really be that bad? I seem to remember when they were group challenges he did really well. This would be the time to step it up - imagine either he or Yau win immunity and then the opposite play the idol (as this would be the last time to play) - guaranteed final four.
0 Replies

MissKitty

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 10:13 am
Roberta wrote:
Yau-man is amazing. What a shock! Trading immunity for a truck! Great instincts. This guy gets my vote, which counts for zero.

They've got five people left, and the finale is Sunday. This is unusual. I wonder what the producers have up their sleeve.

I believe they said in the previews that this would be the most shocking (?) Finale yet....I too wonder!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 10:19 am
Linkat wrote:
I took that the only way it would not be Stacy is if it was so one else's name besides Yao or Stacy so it was unnecessary to say Stacy.

That's the point though, Jeff said Yau-man but he didn't say Stacy.

It'll probably get figured out though anyway.

Quote:
The other thing was the Boo hiding place - he is not as stupid as he appears or pretends to be.

Definitely. He may still slink right into the final two/ three, and could maybe even win, since he hasn't been the one making the decisions. I.e., people blame Earl and Yau for voting them out, but Boo was just going with the majority....

Quote:
I believe Boo was involved in the voting - didn't Stacy go speak with him?

I don't remember, that would make sense though.

Quote:
Do you think Earl is holding back on the challenges? Can he really be that bad? I seem to remember when they were group challenges he did really well. This would be the time to step it up - imagine either he or Yau win immunity and then the opposite play the idol (as this would be the last time to play) - guaranteed final four.

I bet Earl will really step it up next immunity challenge, and Yau will try his damndest too. Between them they have a lot of skills covered, and I bet their plan is for one to earn immunity, and the other to have the turtle-idol.
0 Replies

Tico

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 03:11 pm
Yup, I got it wrong again. Boo did vote for Yau-Man. So those 3 -- Boo, Cassandra & Dreamz will probably stick together against Yau-Man & Earl. Do you think that Dreamz will try to not win immunity, so that he doesn't have to honour his word to Yau?

Hmmm ... the final challenge has always been a balance-on-a-small-platform kinda thing. Of the 5 left, Dreamz probably has the best chance at that, if he makes it to the final challenge. Yau-Man is small and small people usually do good at that challenge but I've noticed that his sense of balance is not great.

It's a little odd to me that Earl seems to be untouchable in the other players' minds. I like it because I think he's played an excellent game, outside of a few arrogant comments in private time, but he's only had one vote against him in Tribal Council (way back) and nobody ever seems to raise his name while plotting.

After a slow start, this version of Survivor has turned into an excellent one. Definitely looking forward to the finale.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 14 May, 2007 06:16 am
I hadn't realized how instrumental Dreamz was in orchestrating the whole shmear. Because of him the entire macho tribe was wiped out. Because of him, Yau-man got eliminated. Because of him, Earl won.

I don't know that I entirely believed that he intended from the start to deceive Yau-man and not give up immunity. But Cassandra said he was very calculated. Who knew?

Yau-man was an amazing player. And a very perceptive person. As much as I liked Earl, I wish he had won.

Earl was low key to the end.

I can't remember an entire jury being that hostile. One or two people maybe. But in this case, the only one who wasn't hostile was Yau-man--the only one who would have been entirely justified in being hostile. What were these people so angry about? Hadn't they ever seen the show? I also hadn't realized how self-righteous and religious Boo was. Was that ever revealed?

All in all, one of the better Survivors.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 14 May, 2007 06:48 am
Yeah, the "mature Christian" stuff was... hmm.

I liked Yau-man a lot, but I always liked Earl. When Dreamz decided not to give up the necklace my first thought was "jerk!" and my second thought was "yay Earl!" Dreamz had instantly made himself the bad guy (people hate that going-back-on-your-word stuff) and Cassandra was just a tag-along. I didn't think it'd be unanimous, but I knew it was good for Earl.

It was kind of mean of him, yes, but a) I think he genuinely expected Dreamz to keep the necklace, and was genuninely urging him to, and b) how long would Yau-man have stayed around without the turtle-idol? And Earl totally orchestrated that, and kept an eye out for Yau during the earlier part of the game.

I didn't see the reunion part, did Ford give Yau his own truck or anything? That would've been cool.

Oh and I don't believe Dreamz for a minute. He's an opportunist. Why was he doing all of that crying and stuff if he was certain about the decision, especially if he contradicted it to the jury? As in, if it was an act, it was an act that he undermined by what he said to the jury the next day. He just saw the million and that blinded him to everything else, and then he spun things in the way that he thought would make him look best. (I also don't believe that he did this all purposely because of how badly he handled questions in the jury and because he set up a false choice between a million and going home. He totally didn't see that nobody would vote for him because he went back on his word. It was a doomed plan.)

He believed what he was saying when he said it. I don't know if drugs were part of his homelessness experience -- probably -- but he acted like a former addict. Someone who doesn't see the big picture, just reacts in the moment and then arranges the circumstances to ease his own conscience, make himself the not-bad guy or even the good guy.

Not that it was SUCH a horrible thing to do, but it was jerky.

By the way, they always seat people in order of being voted out, and it was Yau-man, Dreamz, Cassandra, Earl at the reunion. (I saw like 3 minutes of it.) Does that mean Cassandra got second place? How does that work?
0 Replies