Survivor - Fiji

Tico

Reply Wed 7 Feb, 2007 06:29 pm
Well, someone had to start it, right? :wink:

I believe that the first episode is tomorrow night. Time to dust off the TV (I don't think I've had it on since before Christmas).
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,791 • Replies: 117
No top replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Wed 7 Feb, 2007 06:36 pm
I don't find it to be exciting, but if it's the only thing on.... I will cave and watch. Lose interest in the middle ...and then come back for the finale. Laughing

MOST of them are from CA. I like the Rita (Texan) and Stacy (Asian). Wonder why. Embarrassed
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 8 Feb, 2007 12:36 pm
Plan on watching tonight. I will leave work on time - first day this week - get the kiddies ready for bed so I will be ready right on time.
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Fri 9 Feb, 2007 12:02 am
I LOVE THE ASIANS!!! That's who I'm rooting for (not sure about the architect).

Rita almost got voted off. I chose her as someone I like, but she lacks a personality (so far).

I don't like Erica (afro girl).

What an interesting twist that the hidden immunity is not on exile island.

Jessica got the boot for those who didn't watch.

Here are all their bios (name help):
http://www.cbs.com/primetime/survivor14/survivors/stacy.shtml
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 9 Feb, 2007 12:57 am
Very decided advantage to one team. Food, shelter, fire, comfort, etc. This seems very unfair to me, not that the words "fair" and "Survivor" should be uttered in the same sentence. It's possible that this one-sidedness won't last, but what do I know?

I like the oldish Asian man--smart and clever. I was impressed with Sylvia. She was asked to get up and make some very tough decisions. No hemming. No hawing. She just did it. Impressive.

I too like the idea of an immunity idol hidden in camp.

One final note. Sea snakes are among the most venomous in the world! Granted, they're generally not aggressive, but wow, that's scary.

I'm gonna check out your link, Joa, and try to remember names this season. Not likely that I will, but I can try.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 9 Feb, 2007 07:41 am
Do you remember at the first of the show when Jeff said "there are TWO exile islands"? I imagine that whoever wins immunity gets the nice camp while the losers go to the bad camp.

I agree re: Sylvia. She seems to be very confident in her abilities.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 16 Feb, 2007 04:41 am
I'm already forgetting names. The orange team seems to have a real problem with puzzles. That's the second week in a row that they started the puzzle first and lost. Weakness had nothing to do with it.

Didn't like that guy killing the snake. You'd have thought he'd at least have eaten it.

So the green team sits around like they're on vacation. With porcelain teacups, no less. Is this Survivor or Vacation in the Tropics? That luxury can't last. Can it?

Not enjoying this season much yet. No real interesting personalities are emerging, except maybe for Sylvia.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 16 Feb, 2007 07:53 am
It always takes 4-5 weeks before the personalities and plots start to emerge. This is stage that the dead weight gets cut and the stage gets set. I don't even think about names until the 5th week, just personality traits.

I think Sylvia is a goner, did you see the faces of her tribe when she said "tommorow morning we are going to pick a leader" - she sealed her own execution with that command. I like the older Asian guy who seems have real survival skills and the guy who was homeless as a child has potential. The accident prone guy is going to do himself in.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 16 Feb, 2007 08:19 am
The strange thing is that accident prone guy is a construction worker. Jeepers how many accidents has he had on the job?

It is definately too early to determine much yet. Although even thought one team seems to have an advantage, I think the ones roughing it will end up stronger. The can't be lazy - once they get fire so they can keep themselves hydrated, they could be just as strong and stronger willed.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 16 Feb, 2007 10:10 am
I finally watched one! First time in a couple of seasons, if not three.

I really liked Erica, and while I couldn't quite follow what happened with the puzzle (captions were a bit delayed and so it was really hard to tell who said what because it was rapid-fire), the pineapples really should have counted for something.

Sylvia's people skills are really bad. She might be one of those who, if they squeak through early, stick around for a long time, though. The orange tribe (Ravu?) seems to be already thinking in terms of who is a threat or not, and Sylvia is patently not a threat on either physical or social terms.

That Boo guy needs to be protected from himself. Geez.

I like the cheerleader guy too from the green/ luxury team, otherwise I like the poor pitiful team. And it looks like maybe finally a team makes fire without a flint!
0 Replies

caribou

Reply Fri 16 Feb, 2007 10:33 am
Erica and the pineapples should have counted a little. Everyone was so grateful for the food...
Erica was an interesting one to me. But her anger over the wining team getting the good camp was scary. And the yelling at the last contest was out of control.
I like the homeless guy, but I think he needs to be careful what he says... Some of his comments could annoy people.
I like the old Asian guy. And I'm impressed that he's still there and no one has thought to target him. The first episode, I thought he might go quickly, but he's doing a great job of being helpful, knowlegdable AND flying under the radar. Now he just needs to make some alliances...
I thought Earl should have eaten the snake too.
Sylvia is smart and strong, but she doesn't realize how she sounds and that's going to do her in.
0 Replies

caribou

Reply Fri 16 Feb, 2007 10:20 pm
So I had missed the first 15 minutes of this week's episode, went to the cbs website and watched it. Survivor website
Got to see Boo hurt himself over and over again (Should his name be Booboo?) and Yau-man looking for the idol in Sylvia's bag.

While I was there, I checked out, under videos, "interviews on the street". Survivors answering questions... Boo's is funny cause he's doing short answers in a monotone and James (Rocky) is just funny, being who he is. Didn't look at everyone's.

Really, I have some control. I'm not that addicted.... Come'on I missed a whole 15 minutes for no good reason!
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sat 17 Feb, 2007 10:09 pm
checking in !!
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2007 05:06 am
What's with Anthony? Just stood there with a pig's nose in his mouth. Didn't even try. This is a contest. Sylvia wasn't very good, but at least she tried.

How did they come up with the pairings? Some seemed a bit unfair.

Does the Smurf guy have a broken rib? Should he be there?

I'm finding the absence of struggle on one side makes the show sort of dull. Let's face it. It's not all that interesting watching people sit around idly drinking and eating.

My hat's off the the young woman who started the fire with her glasses. Smart.

So far, I'm semibored.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2007 09:05 am
Yeah, I'm not totally grabbed, still fun to watch (for poor adult-TV-deprived me anyway).

Yay Michelle! The fire-starting was great. I liked her little benediction or whatever ("Dear sun, please come out to play...")

I can't tell if that big blue guy is just kind of generally out of shape or if he's seriously hurt. The medics didn't seem to think anything was too wrong. He (blue guy) stepped things up a few times.

I wonder if it's the kind of thing that happens more often than we realize but it's edited out when there is more fascinating stuff going on -- lacking fascinating stuff, they included it for drama. ?

Rocky looks SO much like a young Sylvester Stallone!! I'm sure that's what's up with the name and everything but only really noticed it last night.

Yeah, Anthony was just kind of shell-shocked. I'm sure everyone's brain is kind of fried on Ravu -- hardly any food, only just got drinking water.

That challenge was the least motivating for the winning team that I've ever seen. They already have so much!! Yay, more fishing gear, duplicates of what we already have. Woo-woo.
0 Replies

Stormwatch

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2007 09:46 am
It always takes me a few weeks of watching Survivor to get into it and get a good read on the personalities involved. I can already see a couple of favorites and least favorites taking shape.

I'm wondering if they have something planned to shake up the Moto tribe. Like maybe making them switch camps at some point. Who knows.... They do a pretty good job each season coming up with new twists.

I too wonder about "Papa Smurf". He wasn't looking too good last night.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 10:48 pm
So the green team opts to sacrifice one of it's members in order to retain its creature comforts. In the short term, probably not a bad idea. In the long term, could be a mistake (the teams now have the same number of members).

So the green team opts to get rid of one of its stronger members. In the short term, probably not a good idea (they need her now). In the long term probably wise. She could prove to be a threat as an individual player.

What happened to the Smurf guy? Does anybody know what was wrong with him?

How is the little old Asian guy gonna find time alone at the cave entrance to look for the idol?

How many people are gonna end up sleeping in that bed?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2007 12:13 pm
Roberta wrote:
So the green team opts to sacrifice one of it's members in order to retain its creature comforts. In the short term, probably not a bad idea. In the long term, could be a mistake (the teams now have the same number of members).

So the green team opts to get rid of one of its stronger members. In the short term, probably not a good idea (they need her now). In the long term probably wise. She could prove to be a threat as an individual player.

What happened to the Smurf guy? Does anybody know what was wrong with him?

How is the little old Asian guy gonna find time alone at the cave entrance to look for the idol?

How many people are gonna end up sleeping in that bed?

I made that first comment to hubby also. I think they are over confident that is why they felt they could give a up member and still win. There is one guy there on the team that seems to be thinking this out logically - he wanted to give up the tent and then wanted to vote off the weaker member, but he didn't seem to be able to convince others.

As far as the second comment - it could hurt them long term as well - if they start losing because they gave up a stronger member, now they will have less numbers after a merge. Basically she got booted because the other women didn't like her flirting with the men. Dumb reason. And the men just followed.

That old asian guy is quite a surprise. He doesn't do so bad in the challenges considering (at least no worse than the others). No one (other than at the very beginning) has even thought of voting him off. He is just quietly maintaining himself. He will have to wait until everyone is fast asleep and then dig like h*ll.

If the two big women in the group sleep in the bed, then there is room for about 3 of them. If the other tribe had won the bed - all of them would fit as skinney as they all are.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2007 03:01 pm
The snakes encountered on Fiji are the banded sea snakes or kraits. They are the only oviparous sea snake which means that they come ashore to lay they eggs. Other sea snakes give live birth. This accounts for their occurance on land on the Survivor series. The snakes shown are Laticauda colubrina or Laticauda laticaudatus another similar species. This species is dangerously poisonous, but I saw a photo of a Phd student at the University of Florida holding one of these snakes, apparantly unconcerned about being bitten. Here's the website. The picture is on the left.

http://www.divegallery.com/sea_krait1.jpg
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 11:38 pm
This is getting downright tedious.

Rocky is an idiot.

Looka like there'll be a shakeup in the next episode. It's about time.
0 Replies