Find me one English word for a Chinese expression

fansy

Reply Fri 2 Feb, 2007 07:56 pm
"Renao" in Chinese means literally, an atmosphere, a milieu that gives one an impression that it is hot, noisy, chaotic, exciting, fun, lively, crowded, etc. And people like to join the crowd to watch, to enjoy, etc.
So, do you have one English word for "renao", which can express all or most of the impressions associated with the adjectival words enumerated in the above?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,057 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 2 Feb, 2007 09:08 pm
I don't think we have one word for the all the things you are describing. The only thing that might be close is the term "rave". "Rave" might be considered slang, but it is used to describe a party (usually illegal) that has all elements you mention.

Used in a sentence: We went to a rave late Saturday night and danced until the police shut it down.

Rave also means to praise something:
The new show on Broadway opened to rave reviews.

or

He raved about her singing.
0 Replies

fansy

Reply Fri 2 Feb, 2007 10:52 pm
Is Fanfare the word?
I myself actually have "fanfare" in mind. What do you think?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 3 Feb, 2007 12:07 am
"Orgy" is what you're wanting.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 3 Feb, 2007 12:45 am
Rave is closer than fanfare, fansy. That might be the best we can do for you.
0 Replies

fansy

Reply Sat 3 Feb, 2007 03:17 am
This word must collocate with a verb such as watch
But we need to have this word such as "fanfare" collocate with "watch". Can we say "watch the rave" or "watch the orgy"? But probably "kan renao" (watch ...) is a Chinese concept which cannot be "fully" translated into English.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 3 Feb, 2007 06:55 am
"Fanfare" is a purposeful, organized whoop-de-doo to call attention to something.

What you describe is much more chaotic and exists for itself rather than to promote something else.
0 Replies

fansy

Reply Sat 3 Feb, 2007 05:33 pm
Here is the text, see if you can see what word I'm looking 4
SEE BEYOND THE FANFARE -PREFACE TO WATCHING FANFARE IN AMERICA
by Li Zhaoxing

In the recesses of my mind, I hesitate somewhat to write prefaces for the works done by others. Not long ago, I heard one master say to the effect that if a man has lived to an age when he is asked to write prefaces for others, this must be a sign of slackening of his imaginative power, acumen of observation and ability to express.

However, this time, I agreed readily to write a preface for Ding Xiaowen's Watching Fanfare in America and I am sure I'll have something to write about. You want to know why? He and I share something in common: I also like to watch fanfare, and indeed, he and I together watched some fanfares in America.

Ding Xiaowen, a graduate from China Foreign Affairs University affiliated to the Foreign Ministry of China, is a young diplomat, introvert, hard-working, and eager to learn. In his Haian hometown of Jiangsu province and in my hometown as well, there is a saying which goes: "While a layman enjoys watching fanfare, the professional is keen on finding out the tricks of the trade." Thumbing through the book, I realize that for most of the time, I just watch the fun that is going on whereas Ding, while watching, is curious to learn about what is above, under and behind the excitement. Here lies the difference between him and me. He can, of so many things that people take for granted, single out those that are interesting, and that gives you much food for thought. This is a proof of the point I am making.

Take "name cards" for example. Whoever has not seen a name card? It
was rumored that the name card of a manager of a factory of township industry was extraordinary: the title of the bearer began with the CPC Central Committee, through the State Council, the Province, the County, all the way down to the Village, and finally ended with his honorable name. Another comrade had a parenthetical note inserted in his name card, right after his title of "Deputy Director," which read "Director in long-term absence." Another "Vice Director-General" had also an NB tag, which said, "Entitled to D-G Privileges." … Ding did not stay in the U. S. for long, and it was unlikely that he had seen many name cards. However, he noted and sketched the features of name cards of the Americans, that is, they are simple and clear, giving prominence to institutional or corporate image. This is something worthy of digest.

Now let's talk about shopping. America is a shoppers' paradise, it's a pleasant thing to shop in here, being waited upon as if you were a lord. When you come to shop, the assistant invariably welcomes you with a sweet smile, kind and considerate. If you don't want to buy anything, she will still greet you with a smile, sometimes even give you a dainty souvenir. Having shopped around in several malls, Ding has discovered the tricks of the trade: customers will eventually pay for the smiles and the petty gifts as well, for there is no free lunch in this world, nor any free gifts.

The U.S. is a developed country, boasting of many sophisticated gadgets. Some goods from China are valued by the Americans, which is a good thing. We Chinese have every reason to be proud of our long history and the latest achievements that have been made since the inception of reform and opening up. However, there have always been some Chinese who are eager to cite the foreigners, the Americans in particular, to show that they are superior to others. This is not necessary indeed. Foreigners' remarks, however pleasant to the ears, must better be double checked before citations are made. The American GIs went to the Gulf War, each having a copy of Suntze's Art of War at hand; Lei Feng's portraits were found on the walls of classrooms and offices at the United States Military Academy at West Point. These observations had been discussed with gusto by many Chinese. Ding took the trouble of finding out that it was not true. I suggest readers read the section about "Is What the Americans Say Really that Important?" and you will find something different to reflect upon.

The world is a raucous circus, full of fun and excitement; and there are many places in the U.S. where you can enjoy the fun. It's not a bad thing to be curious about what is going on somewhere; and it's still better if you can see beyond what meets the eye. What matters to us is that after having watched the fanfare, we settle down and do our own jobs well.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 3 Feb, 2007 07:23 pm
I suppose if you are criticized for using "fanfare" with the meaning in your first post, it is good you can document your usage. I have never heard the word used that way before, and don't expect to again.

I'll get back if I come up with a word that carries the meanings you are looking for, but fanfare just isn't it.
0 Replies

fansy

Reply Sat 3 Feb, 2007 08:26 pm
A Chinese term that is untranslatable
I thank you all for your recommendations. i guest here is a Chinese word which can be applied to many situations or contexts, but it is hard to find one word in English which can be used for all occasions as the Chinese "equivalent" does. i must find one appropriate English word for each sense of that Chinese word used. but i will have a hard time finding them.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 3 Feb, 2007 08:38 pm
Fansy--

The life of a translator is not a happy one.

This isn't one word--but I think it is within shouting distance of what you mean.

Quote:
[Singing]
Come on along and listen to
The lullaby of Broadway.
The hip hooray and bally hoo,
The lullaby of Broadway.
The rumble of the subway train,
The rattle of the taxis.
The daffy-dills who entertain
At Angelo's and Maxie's.

When a Broadway baby says "Good night,"
It's early in the morning.
Manhattan babies don't sleep tight until the dawn:
Good night, baby,
Good night, milkman's on his way.
Sleep tight, baby,
Sleep tight, let's call it a day,
Listen to the lullaby of old Broadway.

Ensemble:
The lullaby of Broadway.
The hidee hi and boopa doo,
The lullaby of Broadway.
The band begins to go to town,
And ev'ryone goes crazy.
You rock-a-bye your baby 'round
'Til ev'rything gets hazy.

Hush-a-bye, "I'll buy you this and that,"
You hear a daddy sayin'.
And baby goes home to her flat
To sleep all day:
Good night, baby,
Sleep tight, baby,
Sleep tight, let's call it a day!
Listen to the lullaby of old Broadway.

The lullaby of Broadway.
The hip hooray and bally hoo,
The lullaby of Broadway.
The rumble of the subway train,
The rattle of the taxis.
The daffy-dills who entertain
Until the dawn:
Good night, baby,

0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 3 Feb, 2007 10:22 pm
I think I would go with "commotion"

Quote:
Definitions of commotion:

noun: the act of making a noisy disturbance
noun: confused movement
Example: "A commotion of people fought for the exits"
noun: a disorderly outburst or tumult

Or maybe "festivities"

Quote:
Definitions of festivity:

noun: any joyous diversion
0 Replies

fansy

Reply Wed 7 Feb, 2007 09:45 pm
America in the Eye of a Chinese Diplomat", and in the text pe se, various expressions can be employed to approximate the idea in a particular sentence.

See if you think it is alright to translate in a free way?
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 12:12 am
bacchanalia

A riotous, boisterous, or drunken festivity; a revel. ??
0 Replies