"Bomblike", "Hoax" Give me a Break!

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 3 Feb, 2007 05:10 pm
i would have a lot more respect for these 'artists' if they acted a little more contrite over the results of their actions...
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sat 3 Feb, 2007 05:48 pm
This story is about really fear.

These two guys are really side characters. Let's forget about them and talk about why flashing lights are so feared.

What bothers me is the implication that it is my responsibity to constantly be thinking about what might throw others into a panic. My kids have a remote control thingy that could be interpreted as sinister, but in reality is nothing more than way to make a toy vehicle move. Do I need to insist they not use it in public lest someone might misinterpret it purpose or intent?

Again I make a big distinction between intent and unintended consequence. If my kids thought it was funny to frighten people by making this look like a bomb, I would be furious at them.

But I am not going to live my life worrying about what might invoke peoples fearful imaginations.

There is a lot of fear since 9/11 and it is understandable. Much of this fear is irrational and exagerrated. People greatly overestimate risks and often react in ways that wouldn't be helpful even if their imagined fear were true.

Examples of this are sometime funny (like being unable to use plastic knives on airplains) and some times disturbing, like Muslim musicians being kicked off of airplains because they match stereotypes.

My biggest point is this... The purpose of real terrorism is to cause terror, and terrorism preys on the fact that all of us are irrational. In 2001, 43,000 people died in car accidents, some 400,000 people 90,000 people died of lung cancer. This is compared to less then 3500 people who died from terrorism.

This is not to minimize the deaths from the terrorist attacks, or to say that we shouldn't work to lessen the risk nor should we minimize the work being done by law enforcement officials to protect us.

But the fact that a cartoon character can shut down a city says something about what we have become since 9/11.

I don't think living, and reacting in fear of terrorism is a good thing.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 3 Feb, 2007 06:13 pm
The guy with the dreads...... is that Slappy?
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Mon 5 Feb, 2007 03:01 pm
http://www.prisonplanet.com/images/february2007/050207terror1.jpg
0 Replies

Foley

Reply Sat 10 Feb, 2007 05:08 pm
blueflame1 wrote:
http://www.prisonplanet.com/images/february2007/050207terror1.jpg

I knew it!
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 10 Feb, 2007 06:12 pm
i certainly didn't see this coming --

Head of Cartoon Network resigns following marketing stunt
ATLANTA (AP) -- The head of the Cartoon Network resigned Friday following a marketing stunt that caused a security scare in Boston.

The announcement about Jim Samples resigning was made in an internal memo sent to Cartoon Network staffers.

In a statement to employees, Samples said he regrets the stir that the stunt caused.

"It's my hope that my decision allows us to put this chapter behind us and get back to our mission of delivering unrivaled original animated entertainment for consumers of all ages," Samples said.

Samples said he felt "compelled to step down, effective immediately, in recognition of the gravity of the situation that occurred under my watch."
(more here)
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 12 Feb, 2007 01:26 pm
As a result of all the emergency vehicles elsewhere and road closes, some poor sap that was hit by a car, had to wait over a half hour for help, just lying during the freezing cold weather.
0 Replies