Ask the A2K cooks!

farmerman

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2017 05:35 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
yes but what are the heating elements based on?? I dont see any prewts on the label, especially one with an indotherm symbol representing induction
Looks like a lotta technology. How do we wash it? or do wejust keep it lathered up with grease like cast ion cookery?

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2017 05:39 pm
@farmerman,
https://instantpot.com/technology/how-electric-pressure-cookers-work/

Some marketing stuff there but not bad. Heating element is a ceramic disk. It isn't an induction heater at all.

Inner pot is removable for washing, like a crock-pot.

Cycloptichorn
farmerman

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2017 05:48 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
ahh I see, I am smiling at the ESL guy who was told to write up the ad. Its a first attempt and wasn't proof read. How does the temp control sty in its comfort zone, is there a querying thermostat?
I saw a neat moker that hqd a very active thermostat (which is really important for barbecue , because you usually have a narrow band of temp that means all the difference tween moist tasty ribs and a leather belt with dippy sauce)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2017 07:05 pm
@hightor,
They've been the shower/wedding gift of the past few years here.

They're the fondue pot of the 2010's.

I'm expecting a hand-me-over one and will get rid of a few countertop cooking devices.
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2017 10:45 pm
@hightor,
I just bought the Anova sous vide cooker. Probably won't use the wifi, but the unit was a good price. Going to try it tomorrow to cook pork chops. Hoping for good results! Next will be chicken breasts. We're not cooking steak until we get the hang of the thing.

I've been eyeing that Instant Pot ...
hightor

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2017 03:27 am
@mckenzie,
I think you'll really enjoy it. I even used it to make egg nog for a party last week. Chicken legs are pretty amazing as well. I really want to do one of those 24 hour rare chuck roasts — but my wife is beginning to develop "beef fatigue" so I'll wait a few weeks.
mckenzie

Reply Mon 1 Jan, 2018 06:29 pm
@hightor,
The pork chop trial turned out well. Still leery of medium-rare pork (140 F), I set the bath to 155 F, which is between medium-well and well-done. They came out well-done, as expected, but still more tender than either baking or frying.

I wonderd why lower temperatures for cooking chicken and pork, for example, are safe, but after doing some reading this afternoon on the "Serious Eats" website, I understand now that it's the pasturization process that kills the bacteria. Well, then ...
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2018 12:39 am
Hello friends and family, my concern tonight revolves around butter, you know what Im talking about, real butter. Over the last 18 monhs or possibly longer, I've been concerned that butter seems to have water infused into the sticks. A lot like pork tenderloin water infused to keep them tender, as if tenderloin isn't tender enough. When I melt butter (allegedly pure butter) it makes things soggy. I've been living on this earth a looong time. WTF is happening to our 'fresh' ingredients? Is everthing contaminated? If it is we may as well live off Wendys .and that other abomination 'SONIC". We are doomed.
roger

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2018 12:54 am
@glitterbag,
My butter is contaminated with olive oil. The brand is Land O'Lakes.

I know what you mean, though. Brands that used to be gold are just so-so. Service and order processing have declined.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2018 12:54 am
@glitterbag,
Fresh ingredients? Surely you jest!

It's amazing to me how many foods have little taste these days and how many meats, including poultry have become insanely liquidy. When cooking a ridiculous amount of fluid fills the cooking vessel and the item can not be given a nice browning or crust unless I siphon off the useless moisture. Tasting the fluid I find it has a bland watery taste which bares only the most minimal essence of the item being cooked. It likely has to do with the rush to grow every danged thing (produce, meats) lickety split fast and screw taste.

So far my butter hasn't failed, however I had some cheddar cheese which melted oddly and was frighteningly similar in taste to Swiss (if the swiss was lacking salt and fat content).

I use a lot of seasonings.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2018 04:59 am
@glitterbag,
You have to read ingredients and often laugh at the bullshit.
Viz, BUTTER, "water added to enhance spreadability". It also enhances REVENUE now doesnt it??

We get a local brand which does NOT "enhance spreadability " It tells you to 'Put in a butter bell and store at room temperature to enhance spreadability"

The chemical of the food indutry is SODIUM POLYPHOSPHATE OR METAPHOSPHATE. Its a watr retention additive to many meats and especially seafood to"Guarantee Freshness and prevent dessication in transit" Your pork loins are probably "flavor enhaced" with some glaze that usually contains sodium metaphosphate. I alaways wondered why pork loins were becoming so cheap. They used to be quite pricey befoore the water retention chemicals assured another 20% profit

OY.
Ive always told people dont EVER eat a scallop that is sold as "Fresh" unless it is guaranteed to be DRY PACKED orDRY FROZEN.

Otherwise the flavor of the seafood will be on the bitter side and it takes a bunch of follow on steps to purge the "Freshness ingredient"

CHOCOLATE has clay in it
Shredded PARMESAN cheese contains wood chips.
EVERYTHING in the fruits and veggie kingdom is picked unripe and ripened by ethylene gas in the box car (Kinda like our food handling was designed by the Third Reich)
Djever notice how market bread keeps fresh for a week or more??

Bush's baked beans are pretty much done all naturally (or else I have missed something on the label

glitterbag

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2018 10:51 am
@farmerman,
We had one lone butcher shop in Annapolis until a huge Whole Food market opened up in Gambrills. He carried fresh eggs, butter and meats that reminded me of my Grandmother's kitchen. He was a little more expensive than the big markets, but the flavor and texture were miles ahead in quality. I really miss the butcher, sighhhhhhhhh
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2018 08:43 am
Looking for a recipe for apple tarts that uses a puff patry or one of those shallow 8" pans. Today Im going up to our Amish orchard that has many old varieties especially grown for pies n sauces an "Snitzes"
glitterbag

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2018 11:58 pm
@farmerman,
I bought an air fryer recently, the ladies that take care of my hair and nails were raving about them.....but I didn't buy one, and I didn't buy one...because really, how many appliances do you really need in the kitchen.

I broke down and ordered one and finally tried it out tonight. I made simple hamburger patties with just salt, pepper and a little lea & perriens. I formed 3 patties set the temp, and timed it for 14 minutes, pausing half way and flipping the burgers. I was shocked how good they looked and how juicy they were...flavor was good as well,,,next time I might use a tad more seasoning, I also roasted potato wedges, that were tossed in a scant amount of olive oil and of course a little salt and pepper. I used about 5 medium red bliss potatoes and they were finished in about 12 minutes. Great crispy outside and tender white flesh.

I have several compression fractures my back and it's difficult to stand very long in one place in the kitchen, this fryer did an amazing job of retaining freshness, moisture and flavor. I actually love to cook, but the fractures make it difficult..I'm beginning to think this will be wildly beneficial....it's fast, clean up is simple..........and I can sit in a chair if I have to to trim and cut veggies....I haven't tried other veggies yet....bu tomorrow I'm going to vote, then hit the produce counter and try out something else.

I'm so excited. We can start eating better (or at least how we ate before my back fiasco)
izzythepush

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2018 02:16 am
@farmerman,
Not puff pastry, but a very good apple tart recipe. I put a bit of vanilla in the custard and use a sweeter pastry but other than that I follow the recipe.

It's always gone down v well with friends and family.

https://www.bbc.com/food/recipes/appletartmamanblanc_93268
glitterbag

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2018 02:18 am
@izzythepush,
Sounds wonderful,
izzythepush

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2018 02:22 am
@glitterbag,
It is very nice. I really like calvados, a lot.

Raymond Blanc is very well liked over here, he has his own restaurant and is pretty much based in the UK. I think a lot of his recipes are available on youtube or BBC iplayer.
glitterbag

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2018 02:36 am
@izzythepush,
I like simple desserts like creme brûlée, my grandmothers rice or bread pudding, berries with cream, some flavors of pound cake. I just never got fond of very sugary things. But I’m a big fan of butter cookies, shortbread, ginger snaps....ohhhh and lemon wafers.

I know those things are not simple to make, I just like them because they don’t taste overly complicated.

izzythepush

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2018 03:48 am
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

I’m a big fan of butter cookies, shortbread, ginger snaps....ohhhh and lemon wafers.

In that case you might like these.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2451643/brandy-snaps
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2018 06:02 am
@izzythepush,
gonna give er a try , then, if she works out Im gonna be making tarts for Thanksgiving dessert. So far weve got 14 people signed up to eat our food.