Ask the A2K cooks!

farmerman

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2016 03:21 am
@CalamityJane,
ok will do.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2016 03:25 am
we bought a tart pan In Bluefield (we are not at home we are in the hills of West by god Virginia. ). Mrs F is making these like a sweet doughed pie with the filling made of peaches and the "jam" filling. So it wont really be a pn type of cake. She is gonna adjust the recipe to use the fruit and filling mix as the main fruit tret.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2016 04:05 pm
@farmerman,
where's the photo?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2016 09:45 am
popping this in
want to try these
I've been on a white kidney bean kick lately

and a veggie patty/latke kick as well

these cover both off

Very Happy

http://imcountingufoz.com/blog/recipe-tuna-and-canellini-bean-burgers-2394

Quote:
Prep Time30 min Cook Time25 min Total Time55 min

For the burgers

1 400g tin of cannellini beans in water
1 200g tin of tuna.
1 tbs sunflower oil (or any flavourless oil)
1 courgette (zucchini), grated
1 spring onion (scallion), chopped.
1 egg, beaten.
half a teaspoon of paprika
a good pinch of salt and pepper

For the coating
50g breadcrumbs
1 tbs polenta (optional, but it adds a lovely crunch to the coating)

Instructions

Firstly, drain your cannellini beans and pour into a large bowl. Take a potato masher and roughly mash the beans until you get a rough paste. It doesn't have to be smooth, in fact, the more rustic, the better. Open your tin of tuna, drain, but reserve a little of the oil, and add to the bean mash. If your tuna did not come in oil, add a little oil now - about a tablespoon should do it. Mix around.

At this point, add the grated courgette, the chopped spring onion and the egg. Give it another mix. The egg will bind the mixture together a little, making it easier to shape into a patty shape.

The last things to add are the half teaspoon of paprika, and the salt and pepper. Mix one last time, nice and thoroughly and put to one side.
Next, you need to make your coating. Don't bother buying breadcrumbs, it's a waste of money. Instead, blitz a few slices of bread (day old bread makes the best crumbs) in a food processor or a blender, and tip into a shallow bowl. If you are using dried polenta or semolina, add a tablespoon to the breadcrumbs.

Carefully, take a handful of the tuna bean mix and mould it into a ball, then pat gently to flatten it into a patty shape. Pop it in the breadcrumbs and gently give it all a little shake from side to side. Using a fork, flip the half-coated tuna patty over to cover the other side, remove from the breadcrumbs and place on a foil-covered baking tray, ready for the oven.

Cook the tuna and bean burgers in the oven at 180°C for approximately 20 minutes, or until the coating is golden, flipping over halfway through cooking.

By Stephanie Chapman

calories188 fat5g protein14g carbs23g

http://imcountingufoz.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/tuna-beanburgers-8-455x455.jpg
ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2016 10:54 am
@ehBeth,
Haven't made cannellini beans in quite a while now - don't see them much around here. I'm a dried bean/slow cooker person, like having a pot going, but you are way busier than I am these days; also like cranberry beans, and anasazi beans. Like your (Stephanie Chapman's) recipe, saving it.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2016 03:12 am
@ehBeth,
That bean and tuna thingy sounds good!
ossobucotemp

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2016 02:04 pm
@margo,
I need a bit of solace in these days of political astonishment, plus I'm out of bread. Time to make focaccia. One of them will be with olives and anchovies and garlic, the other bottled sweet red peppers and some spicy brussels sprouts from the freezer, maybe some caramelized onions.

I follow Carol Field's basic focaccia recipe from her 1985 book but using my own "whatever" toppings..

Here's one link to the recipe -
http://kitchengeisha.blogspot.com/2011/04/carol-fields-basic-focaccia.html
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2016 11:59 am
Potato-lentil soup time

http://www.poppytalk.com/2012/04/home-cooked-meal-quick-potato-and.html

(had a random can of lentils that needed to be part of a meal)
ossobucotemp

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2016 12:19 pm
@ehBeth,
Good idea, and I have both plenty of potatoes and, in the freezer, a jar of previously cooked lentils.

On the focaccia, I could kick myself for making the full recipe - I stored the second and third doughs in my freezer, and baked the first (very good), but my freezer is small and a puzzle chamber to start with, given all the stuff I find room for.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2016 04:27 pm
@ossobucotemp,
The potato lentil soup was good. It was slightly sub-continental in flavour.

Today, I've got carrots and lentils cooking in the stock that resulted from making Greek-style chicken and potatoes. I need to pick up some spinach or other tasty leafy green to make that carrot lentil soup work. Already grabbed some naan to have with it.
farmerman

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2016 04:46 pm
@ehBeth,
how bout escarole?
ehBeth

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2016 04:56 pm
@farmerman,
That's a good choice.

of course, that's now led to another soup

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/82078/escarole-and-beans/

I do seem to be on a cannellini roll lately
roger

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2016 06:29 pm
@ehBeth,
Soup? I would have bet that soup was the only thing that couldn't be put on a roll.

Wrong again.
glitterbag

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2016 06:48 pm
@roger,
Roger, you never disappoint me!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2016 06:57 pm
@roger,
https://media.giphy.com/media/C8CCK8jr1w1Y4/giphy.gif
roger

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2016 07:03 pm
@ehBeth,
<snicker>

or, if you're from Bahastan, <sniggah>
farmerman

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2016 05:55 am
@roger,
frying up some easy-over eggs with prosciutto instead of bacon and some thin cut fried potatoes. Its a nice change once and awhile.
ascribbler

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2016 07:00 am
Either way roger is either on a roll or someone's just had him for breakfast.

Stranger than faction : just had prosciutto in a two egg omelette.

Next : burping the alphabet once in a while?
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2016 01:25 pm
I'm sick of my political worries, do you hear me? My plan is to mix all that up with some more sports worries and more food worries... for a better balancing act.

Today I'm sauteing a diced eggplant, a big one, (aka aubergine), to freeze for later use in a ricotta torte or some soup or casserole or to top a pizza along with other items..

I leave the seeds in since I don't mind them in cooked eggplant (never tried raw eggplant) and I leave the skin on - so it's easy. I'm a spice maniac, so I've tossed in powdered hot new mexico red peppers, some powdered cumin, some powdered turmeric, salt, and ground black pepper. That should do it nicely, but who knows, maybe I tossed too much, thus the worry... but I could fix that somehow or other.

Next up, roasted broccoli, also spiced up, see above.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2016 01:38 pm
@farmerman,
Oh, gads, to have some real prosciutto, says a woman who spent a bunch of days in Parma. Nothin' here like the restaurant we kept going to there..

just found my old comment on it, back in 2010 -
@ossobuco,
Another best were two afternoon meals at Le Sorelle Picchi in Parma, Italy. One day we splurged for an appetizer of the local felino salami and culatello di zibello, a melt in your mouth prosciutto, this being Parma after all, and then I had chicche della nonna con gorgonzola (green briquettes with sauce, better than they sound.) (I see by my notes I had a glass of lambrusco, not my favorite wine, but I know some lambrusco is great). Next day, same place, about the same time, and I had tortelli di zucca - pasta envelopes with squash filling - and vitel tonno, veal with tuna sauce. Probably had a white wine that day, but didn't write it down.

Other Parma treasures were the real slices of parmigiano cheese, some olives, and some cioccolatini we picked up during various walks.

Majorly happy, me, having prosciutto and parmigiano at the source... I was practically squealing.

map and reviews --
http://maps.google.com/maps/place?hl=en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=le+sorelle+picchi+Parma&fb=1&gl=us&hq=le+sorelle+picchi&hnear=Parma&cid=16648980453119977459

Hey, that was a good thread, we should bring it back to life!
http://able2know.org/topic/145368-1
0 Replies