Ask the A2K cooks!

ehBeth

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2012 05:50 pm
@msolga,
Kylie is fabulous.

~~

found this recipe for sprouted wheat buns that ossob might enjoy

http://savoringtoday.com/2012/03/12/sprouted-wheat-burger-buns/

http://savoringtoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Sprouted-Wheat-Burger-Buns-golden-from-the-oven-1-of-1.jpg
ossobuco

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2012 06:24 pm
@ehBeth,
Uh oh, those are lookin' good!

I've been self modifying the hell out of an ordinary french roll recipe, sort of different every time depending on flours at hand.
Hmm, maybe they have sprouted whole wheat at Kellers..
ehBeth

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2012 06:33 pm
@ossobuco,
There are some interesting recipes there - the comments are useful (I think) as she talks a bit about the effect of altitude on the recipes.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2012 07:07 pm
@ehBeth,
I added it to my blog bookmark list.
(Time to cull that again)
I suppose I'm somehow insensitive to the altitude question - things come out pretty well except once in a while, like when I did some dumb thing fiddling with a Lahey bread recipe by adding some starter/biga that I had thawed by mistake.. now there was a goof. I'm not usually dissatisfied enough to go check the advice I have on how to modify amounts of this and that. Famous last words...
well, I'll see what she says on all that.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2012 08:20 pm
Jaded amateur cook seeking inspiration from experts!:
Smile

OK, I have most of the day to figure out what to cook tonight, but I wouldn't mind experimenting with something a bit different to my usual stand-by efforts. I was thinking: maybe some mildly spicy baked bean-ish dish ... but why not something else? Smile

Here are the ingredients I have on hand. I don't expect any recipe to include all of them, OK? Razz

Black eyed /beans/peas soaked & ready for cooking.
LOTS of silverbeet (Swiss Chard) ready to be picked & cooked.
Tins of Italian tomatoes.
Lots of garlic. (Always! Smile )
Plenty of onions & potatoes, celery, & carrots
Lemons X 3
Some smoked bacon bones, left over from a soup-making effort.
Any number of different fresh herbs growing: parsley, basil, marjoram, rosemary, chives, etc.
Any number of different spices & flavourings ... including chili powder & flakes.
Different pasta varieties, including spaghetti, penne , etc, etc, etc,
Rice - long grain, Jasmine & Aborio.

Have I missed anything?
Probably.
But I don't want to buy any new ingredients if I can help it.

Anyway, if you're interested, I'd be very interested to hear what you'd suggest!

msolga

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2012 08:22 pm
@msolga,
Back later.
I have to go & feed a friend's cat now.
msolga

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2012 08:29 pm
@msolga,
A thought:
I may actually decide to cook this (whatever it turns out to be!) tomorrow. Apart from the black-eyed beans/peas. (which don't have to be included in any suggestions.)
So no rush necessary, OK?
Still have the remains of some lemon/garlic chicken in my fridge, which will most likely be tonight's dinner.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2012 08:35 pm
@msolga,
That's like my usual fare.
No advice, fly with what you feel like.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2012 08:36 pm
@msolga,
my first thought would be some variant of Caldo Gallego

http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,1818,156188-236196,00.html

Quote:
CALDO GALLEGO
1 1/2 - 2 c. dried navy beans, soaked
1 lg. ham hock
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
2 lg. onions, chopped
3-4 potatoes, peeled & chopped
1 (10 oz.) pkg. frozen chopped turnip greens
Salt & pepper to taste

In a large soup kettle, cook beans, ham hock and garlic for 3 hours. When beans are tender, add remaining ingredients. Continue cooking until vegetables are tender. Serve hot. Serves 6 to 8.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/caldo-gallego-recipe/index.html

Ingredients

1 tablespoon Spanish olive oil
1 smoked ham hock, skin scored
1 yellow onion, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 bay leaf
3 teaspoons salt, or to taste, divided
Freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon sweet Spanish paprika
1 1/2 cups dried white beans, such as navy, rinsed and soaked in cold water overnight
1 pound potatoes, peeled and large-diced
1 pound turnip tops, rinsed well and coarsely chopped (substitute spring or savoy cabbage if you cannot find turnip greens)
1/2 pound Spanish chorizo, thinly sliced crosswise

Directions

In a large soup pot or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil and add the ham hock, onions, and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until slits of ham hock have begun to open and vegetables are soft, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic, bay leaf, 1 teaspoon of the salt, pepper, to taste, and paprika and cook for 1 minute longer. Add 9 cups of water, bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 1 hour. Drain the white beans and add them to the pot. Return to a simmer and continue to cook at a simmer until beans are just beginning to get tender, about 1 hour longer. Remove the ham hock and, when cool enough to handle, remove the meat from the hock and shred into bite size pieces. (Discard skin and bones.) Return the meat to the pot along with the remaining salt (or to taste), potatoes, turnip greens, and chorizo and continue to cook until beans have broken down slightly, potatoes and greens are very tender, about 1 hour longer. Remove the bay leaf and serve hot.

Note: you may have to add a bit more water if the soup gets too thick during the lengthy cooking time.

this version looks the most like what I've tried

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2008/10/caldo-gallego-spanish-vegetable-chorizo-soup-recipe.html

Ingredients

yield: 4 to 6

1/4 pound thickly sliced pancetta or slab bacon, cut into 1/4-inch dice
1 14-ounce can white beans, drained and rinsed
1 medium onion, cut into 1/2-inch dice
1 large baking potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
1 large turnip, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
1/4 pound Spanish chorizo, casings removed and sliced 1/4 inch thick
1/2 pound turnip greens (or other dark leafy green, such as kale or spinach), stemmed and coarsely chopped

Procedures

In a large soup pot, cook the pancetta or bacon over medium heat for about ten minutes, stirring occasionally, until the fat is rendered.

In the meantime, peel and dice the potato, turnip, and onion. Add them to the pot along with enough water to cover, and simmer for about 20 minutes until almost soft but not falling apart.

Add the beans, chorizo, and greens and continue simmering until the greens are tender. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve with crusty bread.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

kinda hard to go wrong with this type of recipe

the alternative (for me) would be to sautee the greens with lemon and garlic and serve them with simple boiled potatoes with an EVOO/garlic drizzle, and a mini casserole of the beans cooked with the bacon bone/onions/carrots
msolga

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2012 10:54 pm
@ehBeth,
Thank you, ehBeth, for putting some fresh ideas into my jaded culinary brain! Smile

I had never heard of Caldo Gallego before!
To me, it sounds like the best type of European make do with what's available peasant food.
The sort of food I grew up on.
So good for you! Smile

My version will not exactly follow the recipes you've generously provided. But I know that is not the point.
You use what's available at the time. Adapt.

I would never have imagined cooking a dish with both potatoes & beans at the one time. But here goes!

Many thanks! Smile

0 Replies

alex240101

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2012 07:23 am
Soup pot cooling outside.
My oh my, what to do with all these left over pork neck bones.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2012 11:32 am
I figured out the Puerto Ricans homemade taco seasoning.

1 T Chili Powder
¼ T Garlic Powder
¼ T Onion Powder
¼ T Crushed pepper flakes
¼ T Oregano
½ T Paprika
1 ½ T Cumin
1 T Salt
1 T Pepper

Mix it all together and mix it in with the meat while it’s cooking. He uses top sirloin and cuts it up into small pieces but you can also use hamburger meat.

He made his soft tacos last night, chop up a tomato, avocado, shredded cheese and homemade salsa. Makes great soft tacos.
jcboy

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2012 09:24 am
@jcboy,
I’ll be making this ham and bean soup recipe today with leftover ham from yesterday’s dinner.

•8 cups water
•1 pound Great Northern beans or navy beans
•2 cups cubed ham
•1 ham bone or ham hock, optional
•1/2 cup chopped onion
•1/4 teaspoon pepper or to taste
•1 bay leaf
•1 carrot, chopped
•1 rib celery, chopped or sliced thinly
•1/2 teaspoon salt
•1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
ehBeth

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2012 09:34 am
@jcboy,
looks great

it reads a lot like the good luck soup they have in the Southern U.S. for New Year's Day
jcboy

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2012 09:44 am
@ehBeth,
I like good healthy soups, it will be too much for the three of us so I plan on giving Gilbert some to take home when he stops by tomorrow.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2012 01:40 pm
@jcboy,
I agree x 2 . First - I really like homemade soups/stews/stoops. Second - I find it really difficult to make soup that just has 2 - 4 servings. I always want to make vats of soup.

jcboy

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2012 04:19 pm
@ehBeth,
I do the same thing, this recipe called for only one carrot and one celery stalk, I added more, Antonio loves carrots. The tomato sauce was a nice added touch and I added a lot more ham and of course the hambone, it was quite tasty!

I made a large pot enough to freeze some for another time.
Butrflynet

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2012 09:54 pm
@jcboy,
Congratulations, jcboy, you've become a full fledged bona fide cook. You're no longer just following someone's recipe, you're adapting them and making them your own.

jcboy

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 03:53 pm
@Butrflynet,
Thank you! I’ve been experimenting quite a bit and still taking my classes, although I don’t go back until the second week in January then I’ll be going just twice a week. I’ve really learned quite a bit from taking them and probably don’t need to go but I enjoy it, and usually I do learn something new each time.

The Puerto Rican gave me a 7-cup cuisinart food processor for Christmas. I had a very small 2 cup one before that. I’ll be getting some good use out of it!
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 10:15 am
@Butrflynet,
My new food processor came with a DVD showing all the different things you can make. Even piecrust! Awesome!