Ask the A2K cooks!

msolga

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2007 08:48 am
Mame wrote:
Try soaking them in a vinegar/water solution for 30 minutes... if that doesn't work, try a salt/water solution. That usually works.

Thanks, Mame.
That's the first time I've heard of the vinegar/water solution. I'll try it.
So just a little vinegar in the soaking water?
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2007 08:52 am
Yes, not too much. I've not done this, but the head cook at the local restaurant recommends it. He also soaks short ribs in a brine solution and says that works with beans, too.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2007 08:59 am
ossobuco wrote:
I just read a recipe by John Thorne, a total food-cooking connisseur, and I remember that the cannelini took longer than other dried beans. I'll see if I can find it. (I usually do dried pintos, or cranberry beans, and those not in a while.)

OK, here it is, it's in his recipe for Tavche Gravche...

[serves 4 as a main course]
1 pound gigantes or cannelini beans, picked over, washed, and soaked overnight
1/4 c. olive oil
2 or 3 medium onions, chopped
1 to 2 teaspoons hot red powdered chile
1 sprig of mint or basil leaves, torn to bits
1 teasoon salt, black pepper to taste
1 large tomato, cut into thin slices
1/2 cup chopped pickled red peppers (or roasted red peppers)
2 tablespoons dried bread crumbs
minced parsley to garnish
(serve with a bowl of gherkins and bread for dunking)

-- Drain the beans, empty them into a saucepan, and cover them with fresh water. Boil hem rapidly for 10 to 15 minutes, skimming away any scum. Then reduce the heat to a simmer and cook he beans until they are soft but still intact. For gigantes, this will take about an hour or so, depending on their age; for cannellini beans, from two to three times lnger. Turn the beans into a casserole, about ten inches in diameter, reserving their cooking liquid.

-- Preheat oven to 325 F. Heat 1/2 tablespoon of the olive oil in a small skillet. Mix the bread crumbs into the hot oi, stirring them until they have absorbed it. Then, continuing to stir occasionally, saute the bread crums until golden over low heat. Turn into a small bowl.

-- While the bread crumbs toast, heat another tablespoon of the olive oil in a larger skillet. Add the chopped onions and garlic and saute until the onions are wilted and have begun to brown. Add the powdered chile, bits of torn herb, salt, black pepper, and the bean cooking liquid. Stir this up, cook for another minute, then pour it over the beans.

-- Top the casserole with the slices of tomato and scatter around the bits of pickled pepper. Drizzle over the remaining olive oil and sprinkle with the bread crumbs. Bake in the preheated oven for an hour, or a little longer if needed for the tomatoes to lightly brown. Bring the casserole to the table after sprinkling minced parsley over the top. Serve with gherkins and bread.

This John Thorne has a website worth looking into.. I've turned into a fan. He studies at length about the best way to cook this or that.

I'm attracted to this recipe myself as I've long considered baking beans in a savory manner, as opposed to the Boston sweet cooked beans..., just never tried it.

He has other delicious sounding variations on this, but I don't want to give away all his secrets (he charges for his newsletter).

Thanks, osso.

I've done quite a bit of dried bean soaking & cooking during my vego years & usually it's a pretty straight forward business unless the beans are quite old. So I was a bit baffled with the tough skin problem with this last batch, given that I bought them only a few days before. Of course, it's not possible to know how long the shop has stored them .... I'll have another try, using Mame's vinegar method & report back.

Thank you for posting the recipe. Sounds just the thing for a cold winter night! Yum! Very Happy

Will do a search & see if I can find that John Thorne site. Thanks.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2007 09:04 am
Thanks again, Mame.

I'll have another go & report back. I have a many vegetables & bean (Italian) soup in mind!
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2007 09:16 am
BBB
There is a lot of information on A2K's food and beverage Portal.

BBB

http://search.able2know.com/Home___Garden/Food___Drink/index.html
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2007 09:22 am
Re: BBB
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
There is a lot of information on A2K's food and beverage Portal.

BBB

http://search.able2know.com/Home___Garden/Food___Drink/index.html

Thanks BBB!

Now how come I've never used that before? (Probably because I didn't even know it existed! Duh. Sad but true!)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2007 09:28 am
Here's a Thorne book I finished recently...

the publisher description explains who he is (I'd never heard of him, a friend gave me the book).

Pot on the Fire
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2007 03:02 am
Looks very interesting, osso. Now, if I was rich at the moment ........ Very Happy

OK, next enquiry: Halloumi (cheese):

I've never tasted it & I've never cooked with it, myself.

But I've heard so many chefs/cooks rave about it here, for quite a while, that I bought some. (Quite expensive! Surprised )

Seems it's wonderful grilled or fried & in dishes like couscous & salads.

Anyone have any particular favourite dishes which include Halloumi?
I'd love to hear from you.
I could Google for recipes, but I'm always interested in what folk here that I "know" have to say. Very Happy
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2007 03:12 am
So I had this packet of Halloumi in my fridge, waiting, waiting for some direction ....

So yesterday curiousity got the better of me ... & I grilled a few slices. Just to see.

Well! Let me tell you, it's scrumptious!
It's tasty & it browns & crisps up very nicely on the outside (under the grill flame) while retaining it's shape perfectly!

Yum! I'm going to have some with my couscous tonight!

I'm going to buy some more! Very Happy
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 08:24 am
I intend making a fish stock soon & would really rather not do it with fish heads, etc.
So I've been reading up & apparently the Japanese make quite an acceptable version using kombu & bonito flakes.
Has anyone tried this way of doing it? And would it be suitable a "Mediterranean" type fish stew?
If not, any other suggestions?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 04:46 pm
Bonito flakes rock! They (if you aren't familiar with them) are shavings of dried fish. The broth they make is rich and a little salty. I love the stuff.

I think it'd be just fine in mediterranean foods. It's just salt and fish, I think.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 05:00 pm
Well, me, I use a tin of tiny herring steaks in louisiana hot sauce...

<watches people run down the street>
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 05:02 pm
I admit to liking that knorr's cr/p, the fish bouillion cubes. I try to avoid it for the salt.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 16 May, 2007 07:10 am
littlek wrote:
Bonito flakes rock! They (if you aren't familiar with them) are shavings of dried fish. The broth they make is rich and a little salty. I love the stuff.

I think it'd be just fine in mediterranean foods. It's just salt and fish, I think.

Thanks, k!

I bought some, plus the kombu, as recommended by the online advice I found. ("The smell & taste of the sea", I was promised! Very Happy )
Do you just the Bonito flakes?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 16 May, 2007 07:13 am
ossobuco wrote:
I admit to liking that knorr's cr/p, the fish bouillion cubes. I try to avoid it for the salt.

I bought some fish bouillion cubes, too, osso!
Leaving no stone unturned here!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 16 May, 2007 07:15 am
ossobuco wrote:
Well, me, I use a tin of tiny herring steaks in louisiana hot sauce...

<watches people run down the street>

I think that may be a little hard to track down in darkest Oz! :wink:
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 16 May, 2007 05:24 pm
MsOlga, I use bonito flakes and a chopped/flaked seaweed. I think you might want to leave out the seaweed the first time out.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 17 May, 2007 06:50 am
OK, will do, k!
Thanks.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 24 Jun, 2007 11:50 pm
msolga wrote:
Cannellini beans

MsOlga, I thought of you last week when I made some of the most delicious beans I've ever tasted. I usually don't like many bean dishes because they are either too sweet or too spicy, but I hit upon a combination that was outstanding. The Jerk sauce gives it just the right spicy kick and the maple syrup tones down that delayed hotness from the Jerk sauce just a little and adds to the smokey flavor of the bacon.

Unfortunately, it was all hip-pocket inspiration from the frig and no recipe and no measuring. I'm hoping to be able to somewhat duplicate it for next week's meals so I'm writing it down to share with you as well as remember what I did.

1 pkg dry navy beans soaked in a large bowl of water overnight and rinse before adding to pot.

Throw the following into a very large pot in this order:

4 slices of raw bacon, diced
2 large yellow onions, diced
2 yellow peppers, diced
4 stalks celery, diced
6 large carrots, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced

Cover with water about an inch above the layer of veggies and simmer. While simmering, add:

(Measures are estimates)

1/4 cup catsup
1/2 bottle Lawry's Jamaican Jerk sauce
1/4 cup maple syrup

After 15 minutes of simmering, skim off the bacon fat. No salt or other seasoning needed; the bacon, Jerk sauce and catsup have enough for the whole pot.

Add the beans and stir. Add more water if needed to bring level with the beans.

Broil 4 large chicken breasts, seasoned with garlic, pepper and thyme.

When the chicken has browned and cooled enough to touch, dice and add to the pot. After about 3 hours of simmering when the chicken is tender and the beans still have a slight bite to them, remove from heat and enjoy!

Removing the beans from heat that early means you get exactly the right texture when reheated for meals the following days. Makes enough beans to last a week. Serve as is or over rice.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 12:20 am
Sounds pretty good, Ms Butterfly! Thank you!Very Happy

But ....
Living in another, very different country (when it comes to some available ingredients) and assuming these particular ingredients

1/4 cup catsup
1/2 bottle Lawry's Jamaican Jerk sauce

may not be available at all (like the Jamaican Jerk sauce) & the catsup might be different, can you suggest a few substitutes?

It may taste a bit different, but hey, so long as it works, who cares! Very Happy
0 Replies