ehBeth

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2010 06:59 pm
@littlek,
aka taboulleh

definitely my first thought when I'm jonesing for parsley

http://arabicfood.blogspot.com/2006/08/lebanese-food-parsley-salad-or.html
ehBeth

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2010 07:02 pm
the much-missed Prince of Egypt used to make some incredible falafel that were probably close to an even mix of chick peas and parsley - they were bright green when you cut into them
msolga

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2010 07:05 pm
@Thomas,
Quote:
I have an obsessive, almost addiction-like appetite for parseley. Sometimes, having bought a bunch at the grocery store, I will just rinse it with water and eat it as it is. Now I'm looking for a somewhat more refined variant of this: Can you suggest any dishes where parseley is the star and not just a spice? Salads? Soups? Maybe even full entrees?

I share your parsley addiction, Thomas.
I happily let it self-seed all over my garden ... amongst the flowers, anywhere! One can never have too much! Smile
It's a good addiction, too. Very good for you!

As to suggestions, I'm probably too late. (You've probably eaten the lot by now!)
But I heartily endorse k's suggestion of tabouli, also substituting parsley for basil in a "pesto". Something I regularly do when basil's out of season.
Also (speaking as an addict) you can never go wrong with lots of chopped parsley, thrown onto just about any soup at the last minute. Same for salads.
I also use it a lot in pasta "sauces". The taste marries very well with garlic & chili flakes.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2010 07:06 pm
@ehBeth,
Yes, falafel, too!
I forgot that one.
Excellent use of parsley, Beth!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2010 07:07 pm
@ehBeth,
oh, yeaaaaah, delicious.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2010 07:14 pm
sandwiches that have parsley in the ingredient list

http://www.amazingsandwiches.com/tag/parsley/

fun site - I'm adding it to my FB likes
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2010 07:19 pm
Just curious, all ...

When you refer to parsley in your recipes here, are you talking about the crinkly ("English") variety or the flat leaf ("continental" or "Italian") variety? Or both?

They are quite different.

My (much) preferred variety is flat leaf.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2010 07:21 pm
@ossobuco,
Then there's gremolata, usually found in osso buco dishes, but ... the combo could be used elsewhere - um, thinking, the parsley and the garlic (much more of each) put into a focaccia, with some thin lemon slices on top right out of the oven. Which reminds me of home made rolled biscuits (the kind that has layers formed by cold butter) - I can see parsley and garlic in them.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Osso-Buco-with-Tomatoes-Olives-and-Gremolata-107747

the gremolata part -
3 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 large garlic clove, minced
1 teaspoon finely grated fresh fresh lemon zest

Or, riffing off of dys' potatoes, gremolata (more, of course) in a potato + zucchini cold salad? maybe with some lemon picholine olives..

ehBeth

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2010 07:22 pm
@msolga,
flat flat flat

though hamburgboy grew some nice hypercurly parsley that was quite nice in omelettes with chives
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2010 07:23 pm
@msolga,
I always prefer the flat leaf, but often use crinkly type. With my recently less green thumb, I find the crinkly easier to grow here, and always on the inexpensive side at the store.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2010 07:25 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:
Which reminds me of home made rolled biscuits (the kind that has layers formed by cold butter) - I can see parsley and garlic in them.

speaking of "seeing" - one of the big Taunton hits a few years back was people rolling herbs such as parsley between layers of their pasta doughs and also into their biscuit ( as in thin cracker ) dough - some beautiful results
ehBeth

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2010 07:27 pm
@msolga,
look at the gorgeous colour of this spread

http://www.amazingsandwiches.com/2010/06/27/fava-bean-crostini-appetizer/

mmmmmmmmmm

so many wonderful bean/parsley mixtures in the world of middle eastern/mediterranean cooking
msolga

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2010 07:30 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
look at the gorgeous colour of this spread

I just did, Beth.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Smile

Now I must check out more bean/parsley recipes!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2010 07:56 pm
@ehBeth,
I'll check that, still look at the site once in a while. That is another thing I still haven't done - make my own crackers, which is really dumb of me, given the expense for crackers and the relative ease of baking them, plus I've a bunch of saved recipes. I think I put savory (which I used to grow in the old herb garden) into rolled biscuits, back in the day.

I got waylaid into food blog chasing as a near hobby, so never really got into Taunton.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2010 08:00 pm
@ehBeth,
Lovely - and sounds good. I just about never see favas here, and don't grow them - alas. I suppose they are at Whole Foods in season. I have a can of them, sitting on the shelf for untold months now. Not the same thing, I presume. (I've only had the real thing once.)
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2010 08:01 pm
Littlek: taboulleh looks like a delicious idea. I'll definitely check it out.

Ossobucco: I had never thought about parsley pesto. But now that you're suggesting it, it makes a lot of sense indeed.

ehBeth: Felafel---of course!

MsOlga! It's good to know I'm not alone in my addiction. I knew there was a reason you're my favorite Australian. (Of course, that's what I tell dlowan, too.) Maybe we can start a Parsleyholics-Anonymous chapter somewhere?
Thomas

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2010 08:02 pm
@ehBeth,
Oooooh!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2010 08:11 pm
@Thomas,
Quote:
MsOlga! It's good to know I'm not alone in my addiction. I knew there was a reason you're my favorite Australian. (Of course, that's what I tell dlowan, too.) Maybe we can start a Parsleyholics-Anonymous chapter somewhere?

Smile

So what did you end up doing with that bunch of parsley which inspired your post, Thomas?

Before we form this chapter of parsley addicts I need to know if you're a curly or flat leaf parsley guy. (Vitally important!)

And I hope the purpose of this new organization is not to rid of of our addiction, but to indulge it.

To greater & greater heights!

More & more parsley recipes! Yes!!!! Very Happy
Thomas

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2010 08:33 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

Smile

So what did you end up doing with that bunch of parsley which inspired your post, Thomas?

I had killed and munched it just before I wrote. Then I thought: "There has to be a more stylish way to do this. Why don't I ask the A2K cooks?"
msolga

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2010 08:36 pm
@Thomas,
Ha.

But now you've got a bunch of great new ideas for your next parsley episode!