THE REASON THAT US WONT OPEN DISCUSSIONS WITH IRAN IS:?

High Seas

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2007 01:48 pm
The first part of Lind's advice was accepted - hoping the second will be also:

Quote:

"First Citizen, if that's your question, I will give you an answer. But remember, last throws save very few gamblers. The overwhelming probability is that this too will fail."

"I understand that's your judgment. I want to hear your proposal anyway," said the First Citizen.

"Very well," I replied. "Take all our troops, and I mean all, out of the vast, secure, star-bastioned fortresses we have built all over Mesopotamia and send them into the Mesopotamian capital, Babylon. Make them move into the city and live there. Each small unit is responsible for maintaining order on the street where it lives. If an elephant shows up, they have to deal with it. If we can successfully de-elephantize Babylon, we would show the rest of Mesopotamia that we can still win. That might at least buy us a graceful exit. Again, I don't think it will work, but if you are determined on a last throw, this would be my advice. Legionaries sitting in fortresses do nothing to help win the war."

"But I thought that famous military theorist you guys all like to quote -- what's his name? Oh yea, Vauban -- said building and holding fortresses was the way to win a war," replied the First Citizen.

Poor Vauban, I thought, so often quoted and so little read. He wrote more about taking fortresses than building and defending them. "First Citizen, this is not quite Vauban's kind of war," I responded. "Mesopotamia is not the Spanish Netherlands, and Vauban didn't face elephants. But getting our troops out of their fortresses and into Babylon is only half my proposal."

"OK, what's the rest of it?," asked First Citizen Bush.

"You have to make an alliance with Persia," I said.

"An alliance with Persia? Are you nuts? Those guys are Zoro-fascists! Just last week three good Americans were killed in Detroit when some Zoros jumped from their burning ziggurat and landed on them. Besides, don't you know they are trying to build flying chariots? Ally with them? Never!" The First Citizen was known for being firm in his likes and dislikes.

"I admit, First Citizen, that this new Zoroastrian practice of setting their ziggurats on fire and then jumping from them is a problem," I replied. "And the Persians may well get chariots to fly regardless of what we do. But the fact of the matter is, we cannot hope to control Mesopotamia without their help. To obtain that help, we must in turn offer them what they want. An alliance with the United States would help solve many of their problems. I think they might go for it."

The First Citizen pondered my advice. "Supposing I wanted to do that. How could I approach them?"

"You might send the Shah a small present," I suggested. "I'm thinking of the people who pushed you into this disastrous war. You know, the neo-claques."

"Why should I send the Shah the neo-claques?", the First Citizen asked.

"Not all of them," I replied. "Just their heads."

http://www.d-n-i.net/lind/lind_12_19_06.htm
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2007 05:27 pm
High Seas,

Perhaps we could get some sane columnist or opinion journalist to quote Lind as a "letter to the White House."

But what was his second point, of which you spoke? Not banning smoking ziggurats, I should think...
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2007 01:55 pm
Kara - totally delighted to see you (btw I used to post here years ago but my old name was no longer available so I had to get this new one; I'm your old friend the pilot trying to encourage you to get your license!) and no, sorry can't answer that question myself.

Lind means we should start an alliance with Iran - if Al Qaeda really is the enemy, nobody wants to get them more than the Iranians, and if Al Qaeda is not the enemy then what did we spend half-a-trillion dollars (and counting) on?! Truly it would be best for him to reply but that's my understanding of his article.

Lots of love to you and your animals and call that airport training school Smile
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2007 02:49 pm
Setanta wrote:
But the real sin of the Persians is the drive to price petroleum in euros.

I seem to recall another country in that area who decided to price their oil in Euros not so long ago. Now let's see, ... who was that again...
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2007 04:05 pm
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2007 04:48 pm
Re: THE REASON THAT US WONT OPEN DISCUSSIONS WITH IRAN IS:?
farmerman wrote:
From where I sit, it appears that the higher up diplomacy reaches, the more it appears that some 9 year old is in charge. Im alittle confused re: the reasons that we wont carry on direct communications with Iran.

farmerman

To make this tough question even more complex, we have the admission from Tony Snow (about two months back, little covered in the media even though he was speaking to them) that discussions with Syria and Iran had in fact been going on. Other such reports aren't too unusual but one usually finds them in more obscure sources than regular news.

That said, clearly this administration not only publicly proclaims at every opportunity that "you do NOT negotiate with (fill in the derogation)" for, I suppose, some perceived domestic political advantage, but also seems to believe it most of the time.

The old crowd (Baker, Scowcroft, etc) have a different view. What seems to set this administration apart is the neoconservative influence which brings two discernable notions into the equation; the zest for absolute domination through superior military strength with aggressive military action and, second, a set of notions regarding Arabs/Muslims. Andrew Bacevich talks about some of that here... http://www.amconmag.com/2007/2007_01_29/cover.html

But I'd like to offer up another notion too. I think that perhaps the most fundamental reason that America is so lousy at comprehending and fighting an insurgency is because they are geared up to think and to act from the conceptual framework of big and expensive military gizmos/systems and the organizational structures to support them (think rumsfeld's statement on Sept 12 regarding an attack on Afghanistan, "They don't have any targets"). This isn't just old Cold War mentality. That's where the dollars are and Washington runs on dollars.

Diplomacy doesn't make any money for anyone, certainly not in the short run. It actually poses a threat to potential earnings from real wars and from the sales to government and the Pentagon for those snazzy weapons systems and logistics backup.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2007 05:25 pm
I recall Snow admitting thatt weve been kept "in the loop"
while multilateral talks with Iran and Syria had been occuring, but I think the admission was that we werent part of them. Could be wrong, maybe someone in the admin had some single synapse that resulted in a moment of thought.
I would say that, if such talks had occured with the US in earshot, we should encourage our leadership to continue on. Maybe something not so disastrous would occur. What have we got to lose now?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2007 05:56 pm
I can't find the specific briefing I'm thinking of. As other such instances pop up, I'll note it here (if I remember).

But they play this PR game much the way Israel does, making loud claims that they do not negotiate with "terrorists", but the claim is false and they clearly do it as they perceive it is needed (eg, soldier recovery). Or there is the example of Sistani who has yet to sit down with an American (perhaps no westerner at all). How would Snow word a sentence involving discussions with Sistani?

But the more relevant point was that I think there is a huge dynamic which pushes us away from negotiations and towards militarism. I quite agree that there seems to be many good reasons for adopting such a policy and many many bad ones for the present course all of which begs the question you asked up front.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2007 06:01 pm
I can't believe this crap is posted in a second place today.

Kara wrote:
By THOMAS L. FRIEDMAN...

The brand of Islam practiced by Country A respects women,
Where did he get this ridiculous idea? Click HERE only if you have the stomach to see an Iranian Woman being respected (warning: VERY graphic violence).
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2007 06:51 pm
THOMAS L. FRIEDMAN should be publically reprimanded for this disgusting, idiotic perversion of the truth.

Here is some TRUTH about how Iran treats Women:
Quote:
The mullahs' agents abducted and brutally murdered president of Iraqi Women Syndicate
Thursday, 18 January 2007
NCRI - The mullahs' agents abducted and brutally murdered president of the Iraqi Women Syndicate (IWS), Ms. Amereh Abdul-Karim Al-Aqabi in Iraq.

Ms. Al-Aqabi was one of the fierce opponents of the Iranian regime's meddling in Iraq. She was also one of the co-sponsors of the historic statement by 5.2 million Iraqis in June 2006 which called for eviction of the mullahs' regime from her country.

Ms. Al-Aqabi was involved in extensive activities to improve the role of Iraqi women in the society. As the president of IWS, she led a major resistance against fundamentalism and increasing restrictions imposed on Iraqi women.

Quote:
Regime's Guardian Council ratifies suppressive Fashion and Clothing Plan
Thursday, 04 January 2007
NCRI - The mullahs' Majlis "revised" the Fashion and Clothing Plan to gain the approval of the Guardian Council, the state-run news agency Fars reported on January 2.

According to the report, "A committee has been formed which is comprised of a representative with full power from the ministries of Culture and Islamic Guidance, Higher Education, Industry and Commerce as well as the state radio and television, the Directorate of State Planning, and three representatives from related industries (fashion designers) and a representative from the Majlis Culture Committee as the inspector.

Quote:
Iran : Gender segregation in public places; a step further in suppression
Thursday, 16 November 2006
NCRI - The mullahs' inhuman regime in line with its suppressive misogynous policies is rapidly imposing further gender segregation in public places such as government offices, universities, schools, hospitals and even parks.

In its latest plan, the Head of Administration and Finance of the Social Welfare Organization, Akbar Abbasi Maleki has sent an official memorandum to the regional directors of this organization nationwide instructing them to expedite "gender segregation in work places in order to preserve Islamic culture."

Quote:
Creation of a new organ to suppress women in Iran
Thursday, 02 November 2006
Stark deterioration of state of prisons

NCRI - The chief of the State Security Forces (SSF) in Greater Tehran, Brig. Gen. Ahmad-Reza Radan, announced the creation of "Women Police Precincts" in Tehran.

Quote:
Iran: Execution of women a direct result of the mullahs' foreign and domestic turmoil
Friday, 15 September 2006
NCRI - Deputy Commander of State Security Forces in Khorassan Province, Brig. Gen. Satar Bozorgmehar announced a new suppressive plan called "National Security" under which 4,518 mal-veiled women had already been arrested, the state-run news agency Mehr reported on September 11.

He added that the plan would be implemented through new patrols called "Anti-Vice Patrols" which are comprised of both stationary and mobile units.

Simultaneously, the government-run media reported that the death sentences for two young women identified as Shahla Jahed and Kobra Rahman-pour were upheld by the mullahs' judiciary. One of the regime's female Majlis deputies, Eshrat Sha'egh, expressed amazement at the media for paying any attention to the upholding of their sentences.

Quote:
Iran : Last month, 64,000 women in Tehran were reprimanded on charges of "mal-veiling"
Monday, 28 August 2006
NCRI - The state-run news agency ISNA reported that on Sunday the commander of State Security Forces' Internal Security Division in Greater Tehran Brig. Gen. Mohammad Alipour announced that in the past month, 64,000 "mal-veiled" women were reprimanded.

Alipour said, "In one month, 63,963 mal-veiled women were either warned or reprimanded, and 1,149 vehicles whose occupants were either mal-veiled or creating noise pollution were confiscated."

Quote:
Iran: Demonstration by thousands of women against mullahs' misogyny
Monday, 12 June 2006
Mrs. Maryam Rajavi calls on Iranian women and youths to support the women in Tehran in their struggle against the mullahs' regime

NCRI - At 5 p.m. this afternoon, thousands of women gathered in 7 Tir (Rezaiiha) Square to protest against the misogynistic polices of the mullahs' regime in Iran. They were brutally attacked by suppressive forces.

Quote:
Iran regime takes further measures to crack down on women
Thursday, 18 May 2006
NCRI - The Iranian regime's Supreme Council on Cultural Revolution has been considering the so-called plan for "fashion and clothing", according to the state-run news agency, ISNA.

In releasing the news, a member of the Majlis (Parliament) Culture Committee said, "Cultural problems are not like economic problems which could be resolved through coupons". She reiterated, "The State Security Forces should first only issue warnings and if that was not enough it should take more serious measures". The announcement signaled more crackdown on women by the Iranian regimes' suppressive agencies.

Quote:
Iran: Mullahs' misogynous policies lead to rise in serial killings of women
Friday, 21 April 2006
NCRI - The discovery of bodies of three young women in Tehran brought to six the total number of women who have been murdered in the capital last week, according to state-run media. The unidentified victims, between the ages of 20 and 30, had been brutally murdered and their bodies dumped in remote outskirts of Tehran.

Mrs. Sarvnaz Chitsaz, Chair of NCRI's Women's Committee, said, "The alarming increase of such horrific crimes in Tehran and other cities of Iran is, before anything else, the result of misogynous actions, policies, and laws of the mullahs' regime, which have set the stage for serial murders of Iranian women and girls. The killers believe they can act with impunity."

Quote:
Iran: Suppression of women on International Women's Day
Thursday, 09 March 2006
NCRI - On International Women's Day, the misogynist ruling regime in Iran has initiated a crackdown on Iranian women in streets and public areas around the country.

In Tehran, women took to the streets in different areas of the city such as University Park, Revolution Square, and Park-e-Lale chanting "Down with the dictator, long live freedom." They gathered while the suppressive State Security Forces (SSF) surrounded the area in a bid to disperse them. At 17:00 local time, the SSF began lobbing teargas into the crowds.

Quote:
Death sentence for a teenage girl in Iran condemned
Sunday, 08 January 2006
The state-run daily Etemad reported that the clerical regime's judiciary has condemned an 18-year-old girl for killing a man who attempted to rape her.

The victim, identified as Nazanin, was attacked when only 17 by three men who attempted to rape her and her niece. In the scuffle that followed, Nazanin acted in self-defense which resulted in the death of one of the attackers. She testified in court: "I only committed homicide while trying to defend myself and my niece. I had no intention of killing that man. At that moment I didn't know what to do because nobody came to help us."

Quote:
Iran: Clerical courts set free women traffickers
Wednesday, 28 December 2005

The state-run daily Iran reported that a man involved in human trafficking of young Iranian girls, each sold in Arab countries for over 50 million rials (US$4,600), received a prison term of three to five months. An appeals court, however, overturned the ruling and released the smuggler and ordered him to pay a fine of just US$275.

Quote:
Iran-Women: Women cannot enter any field, including financial and economic arenas - Khamenei
Saturday, 03 September 2005
Supreme Leader insisted on gender apartheid

NCRI, September 3 - In an appalling and misogynistic comment, mullahs' Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei tried to justify gender apartheid and denying women the right to political and social activity under the medieval theocracy ruling Iran.

In remarks carried by the state-controlled news agency, IRNA, last Sunday, Khamenei said, "Men are suited to enter economic and financial arenas… Women, however, have preoccupations. They must give birth and feed the child, and they are physically, psychologically and emotionally soft. They cannot enter into every field. They cannot tolerate every interaction. These create restrictions for women in financial and economic fields and related activities. Men do not have these restrictions. In this respect, privilege must be given to men because they are strong."

Quote:
Thousands of Tehran residents join women's anti-government demonstration
Sunday, 12 June 2005
Thousands of Tehran residents join women's anti-government demonstration, call for election boycott

Maryam Rajavi calls for urgent action by international bodies to secure release of detained demonstrators

Source
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2007 07:02 pm
Do you still think Friedman was "spot-on" Kara? Shocked
Quote:
New stoning to death in Iran
Thursday, 02 November 2006
NCRI - According to the state-run daily Rooz, "In May 2006, two people identified as Mahboubeh M. and Abbass H. were stoned to death in the northern city of Mashhad."

The daily added, "Mahboubeh and Abbass were treated as if they were dead already. According to Islamic rituals, they were cleaned and wrapped in shrouds by the undertaker. Being a female, Mahboubeh was buried alive up to her shoulders, and Abbass was buried in the ground up to his waist. Then, they were stoned to death gradually by the volunteers who had come for the stoning. Media news reports only said that they were executed."

Rooz added that 9 women identified as Parisa A. (Adel-Abad Prison in the southern city of Shirz), Kobra N. (Tabriz Prison in the northern city of Tabiz), Khireh V., and Iran A. (Sepidar Prison in the southern city of Ahwaz), Malek (a.k.a Shamameh) Ghorbani (Orumeh Prison in the northern city of Orumieh), Hajieh Esmail-Vand (Jolfa Prison in northern Iran), Soqra Molaii ( Varamin Prison in south Tehran), Ashraf Kalhori (Evin Prison in Tehran), Fatemeh (in a prison in Tehran Province) and Zahra Rezaii (Rajaii-Shahr Prison in Karaj, west Tehran) and two men identified as Abdullah Farivar (Sari Prison in northern city of Sari) and Najaf A. (Adel-Abad Prison in the southern city of Shirz) are also awaiting their death sentences by stoning to be carried out.

The Iranian Resistance calls on all international human rights organizations in particular women rights' groups to condemn the gruesome acts by the mullahs' regime and calls on the United Nations to take necessary measures against the regime by referring its human rights dossier to the UN Security Council.

Secretariat of the National Council of Resistance of Iran
November 2, 2006
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2007 07:17 pm
Hey, maybe we could talk to Iran about those executions and how there are possible human rights violations to be avoided while serving God and Justice?

We Americans could hold up our own stellar stance on execution as an example of a more evolved method of ridding society of evildoers.

Joe(Maybe we could sell them on the idea of lethal injection)Nation
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2007 07:36 pm
Joe, your attempt to shift the focus to Capital Punishment is disgusting. Women are being heinously persecuted, in a myriad of ways, and your commentary only serves to dilute this VERY important point. There are plenty of appropriate ways to display your concern for convicted murderers. Obfuscating the horrendous plight of heinously persecuted women isn't one of them. You should be ashamed of yourself. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 1 Feb, 2007 05:40 am
Yeah, and you should stop pretending that Iran is somehow the greatest prep on the planet when it comes to brutalizing women. It isn't. Is it awful? Shoot yes. Should we say something to Iran directly as per these circumstances? Yes. The question on this thread is why we don't?

As I explained to you on the other thread, (hey, let's not set up a series of mirror comments, okay? My fingers get tired of typing way before yours get tried of pointing.) Friedman ought to have limited his comments on Iran's respect for women more. It is, despite all of the cut and paste above, still better to be a woman in Iran than in Saudi Arabia, but that's not saying much. Nowhere in the Muslim world are women treated justly.

"mal-veiled" Pathetic.

Joe(I am also for equal rights for the women of Louisiana)Nation
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 1 Feb, 2007 09:26 am
Your straw man about "pretending that Iran is somehow the greatest perp", not withstanding; I am satisfied with this exchange. You have a gift, Joe, and oppressed women everywhere could greatly benefit by people like you spreading the truth. Friedman has this same gift, and his apathetic display of dishonestly is worthy of censure.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 1 Feb, 2007 11:56 am
As regards the question, "Why so little diplomacy", here are two thoughtful takes on the related issues. These are small excerpts designed not to answer the question above but rather to tempt folks to read.

Quote:
I had set out to explain how exactly our government came to be so hated around the world. As a CIA term of tradecraft, "blowback" does not just mean retaliation for things our government has done to, and in, foreign countries. It refers specifically to retaliation for illegal operations carried out abroad that were kept totally secret from the American public. These operations have included the clandestine overthrow of governments various administrations did not like, the training of foreign militaries in the techniques of state terrorism, the rigging of elections in foreign countries, interference with the economic viability of countries that seemed to threaten the interests of influential American corporations, as well as the torture or assassination of selected foreigners. The fact that these actions were, at least originally, secret meant that when retaliation does come -- as it did so spectacularly on September 11, 2001 -- the American public is incapable of putting the events in context. Not surprisingly, then, Americans tend to support speedy acts of revenge intended to punish the actual, or alleged, perpetrators. These moments of lashing out, of course, only prepare the ground for yet another cycle of blowback.
http://www.tomdispatch.com/index.mhtml?pid=160594

Quote:
http://www.nybooks.com/articles/19879
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Fri 2 Feb, 2007 07:53 pm
Occam Bill,

I've been away for a few days or would have replied right away.

I was not implying (perhaps I did...) that Tom Friedman's column was any kind of an answer-all. He skimmed over major issues in Iran, and we could go into detail, as he did not, about the problems of human rights and women's issues in that country. Iran is a country in flux, and the political problems there are complex and interesting. If we do not threaten their administration, they will find their own way to modernity..or perhaps they will not. Then is the time, not now, to fear what they become.

What he got right was that we must open a dialogue with Iran, that it serves no purpose to pretend that we are holier than them. Our outcrier, who has been informed by his god, is as irrational at times as is their ayatollah. A leader who is informed by a higher power as to how the country and the world is to be run is on a different level of rationality from one who is controlled by laws and an observed justice system. I have as much to fear from our country's religious right as I do from other countries' same kind.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 2 Feb, 2007 09:55 pm
Kara wrote:
He skimmed over major issues in Iran, and we could go into detail, as he did not, about the problems of human rights and women's issues in that country.
Skimmed over? NOT. His misleading dishonesty was appalling. I addressed more of it here.

Kara wrote:
I have as much to fear from our country's religious right as I do from other countries' same kind.
No, you don't. Bush will soon take his place among other past Presidents and Timothy McVeigh's are relatively few and far between.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 2 Feb, 2007 11:27 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Here is some TRUTH about how Iran treats Women:

OK, Bill, a good collection of info on the suppression of dissidents who happen to be women; and of women, in general; in Iran.

Now, to go back to the article of Friedman. Are you intellectually honest enough to stack up the info you have found about Iran against the parallel info about Saudi-Arabia?

There isnt even a comparison. In Iran, women go to school and university. In Iran, they can, or at least throughout the last decade could, go outside on their own. In Iran, though the regime is trying to clamp down on fashion styles, a great many women have been wearing only a headscarf, no further face cover. In Iran, girls and boys flirt on the squares. In Iran, there IS a womans rights movement. It is currently aiming to collect a million signatures. In Iran, there are female activists. Female doctors who become local councillors. (I suggest reading through the last few pages of Insights on Iran.)

I mean - let me make this clear: all of the things you have posted are obviously Very Bad Things. No question about it. They are human rights abuses. Clampdowns of an authoritarian regime. Examples of violent sexism. They deserve condemnation.

But have you even reflected for a minute about the comparison Friedman is making? And about how your examples fit in? I'm talking about this, for example:

Quote:
Thousands of Tehran residents join women's anti-government demonstration

Can you imagine a women's anti-government demonstration in Saudi-Arabia?

Quote:
NCRI - At 5 p.m. this afternoon, thousands of women gathered in 7 Tir (Rezaiiha) Square to protest against the misogynistic polices of the mullahs' regime in Iran.

Can you imagine thousands of women gathering, by themselves, in a public space, to criticize the regime, in Saudi Arabia? Can you imagine it even coming that far?

Quote:
Alipour said, "In one month, 63,963 mal-veiled women were either warned or reprimanded

Do you think there are even 64 thousand women in all of Saudi-Arabia going outside "mal-veiled"? Have you compared what "properly veiled" means in Saudi-Arabia with what it means in Iran?

Quote:
One of the regime's female Majlis deputies, Eshrat Sha'egh, expressed amazement at the media for paying any attention to the upholding of their sentences.

Sounds like a fundamentalist, autrhoritarian-minded, female Majlis deputy. Does Saudi-Arabia have any female parliamentarians?

Quote:
In Tehran, women took to the streets in different areas of the city such as University Park, Revolution Square, and Park-e-Lale chanting "Down with the dictator, long live freedom."

They were forcibly dispersed with teargas. Which is bad. But the fact that they were there in the first place says something, both about the grey area that Iranian authoritarianism has come into and about the position of women.

Can you imagine women being allowed by their husbands to go demonstrate in Saudi Arabia? Can you imagine them demonstrating without being murdered en masse under the Taliban's regime in Afghanistan?

What I am saying, and what Friedman, I believe, was saying more tauntingly, is this. You see a bad thing and become angry, and I praise you for that. You see a bad thing that makes you angry, and decide the object of your anger is the black in the black and white scheme. End of story. But the truth is that even bad things come in sorts and degrees. Brezhnev was a dictator, but he was not the psychotic mass murderer that Stalin was. Gorbachev had his military clamp down violently on Latvian and Georgian independence demonstrators - people died. But he was no Brezhnev. Mussolini was no Hitler; Franco no Mussolini; and Horthy no Franco.

The notion that is continually forwarded by the US right, and in which I see you as partaking, is that Iran is, fundamentally, the same thing as we faced in Afghanistan's Taliban. They're Muslim fundamentalists, so there's just one way in which we can deal with them.

This is ignorant, as there is no comparison. It completely skips over the fact that as a dynamic, pluralistic society, with dissidents and internal competition within the regime, and officeholders and politicians publicly speaking out against their more conservative rivals, and critical newspapers that, when shut down, reappear under another name the next month, Iran is a country that offers much more possibility to exert influence through other ways than blunt threats and violence alone.

By skimming over this threat and potentially moving on to actual military attack, the US are missing an enormous opportunity, and possibly doing more harm than good.

And all of THAT is aside from Krugman's obvious point about hypocrisy, since every single example of repression of, and violence against, women in Iran in the list you bring, for example, is parallelled or outdone in Saudi Arabia - which we consider our ally.

There is simply little rationality in arguing that we cant reasonably talk with the Iranians because they are terror-breeding, women-hating fundamentalists, when we sit cosily around the table with the Saudis, who are respectively just as much, and much more so!

Random historical comparison: when Franco came to power in Spain in the late 30s, his reign was as bloody as that of the Ayatollahs in Iran in 1980. But move on thirty years, and you're left with a regime that you could still find plenty of newspaper clippings about that demonstrated dictatorial repression and violence, but that only a fool would still have militarily attacked. Because despite it, on the one hand, provably being a repressive dictatorship, it was no longer the irrational force of pure evil that can only be brought to turn with bombs.

Again, I admire your sentiments about the very real human rights abuses in Iran, and I'll gladly sign any petition to highlight it (as public attention to a case can itself often already save lives). But your examples refute neither that
*) Iranian is not the exceptional case that the conservatives make it out to be, the one country in the region that we supposedly cant possibly be in dialogue or negotiate with, because it is ruled with such evil fundemantalism - nonsense. Other countries that we dont just talk with but even consider our allies, from the Saudis to Pakistan or, for that matter, Maliki's Shi'ite coalition, are just as bad or far worse; nor that
*) Iran is at the moment a multipolar authoritarian regime rather than a monolithic totalitarian regime; it is half-open enough to be influenced through dialogue, negotiation, pressure, indirect support to dissident civil society, etc - through "soft power".

Or, in my beloved historical comparisons, it would be an enormus mistake to think that today's Iran is Stalin rather than Andropov, Franco 1937 rather than Franco 1967, Saddam rather than Mubarak. A mistake that easily could cost many lives, if the US admin acts from such a black/white, good/evil perspective.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 2 Feb, 2007 11:58 pm
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for appallingly ignorant men to remain in such a state.

Quote:

Australia Threatened by US State Terrorism
Dr. Gidion Polya

After a four-decade career as a scientist, I have almost finished researching and writing a huge book on global avoidable mortality. "State terrorism" has had massive complicity in global avoidable mortality (excess mortality) that now totals 1.3 billion since 1950.

The Shorter Oxford Dictionary defines "terror" as "intense fear" and "terrorism" as the "furtherance of views through coercive intimidation". "Terrorists" "intimidate" by causing "intense fear", typically by killing people. "Terrorists" fall into 3 categories, namely
• (1) state terrorists (nations committing huge crimes against civilians e.g. the UK, US and Israel) ;
• (2) non-state terrorists (e.g. jihadist terrorists and Iraqi and Palestinian insurgents); and
• (3) state-sponsored non-state terrorists (e.g. the US-supported mujaheddin, Al Qaeda and Taliban in Afghanistan; US-support for Al Qaeda until the mid-1990s in the Balkans; US and UK covert terrorism including covert bombings, shootings and torture in Iraq; world-wide US support for particular non-state terrorists; US support for the mass murdering Indonesian military state terrorists who are evidently STILL involved in supporting anti-Christian militias and probably the terrorists involved in the Bali bombings, according to former president Abdurrahman Wahid).

"Jihadist" or "insurgent" "non-state terrorists" have killed about 5,000 Western civilians over the last 20 years (mostly on 9/11, according to the US Administration). However the US "state terrorist" response has so far been disproportionately associated with post-invasion avoidable (excess) mortality and under-5 infant mortality in the Occupied Iraqi and Afghan Territories that now total 2.1 million and 1.7 million, respectively.

Anglo-American-dominated mainstream media utterly IGNORE the huge reality of state terrorism, notably US state terrorism. Australia is under threat from ALL THREE types of terrorism, specifically
• (1) US state terrorism (compounded by slavish Australia Government and Security association with US state terrorism, US media dominance in Australia and passive acceptance of direct US interference in Australian affairs, as in the 2004 election);
• (2) jihadist non-state terrorism; and
• (3) US state terrorism support for non-state terrorists (e.g. former president Abdurrahman Wahid recently expertly suggested that the US-backed Indonesian military may have been involved in the Bali bombing atrocities).

There is an appalling record of US state terrorism over the last half century and of US support for non-state terrorism in Africa (e.g. in civil wars), Asia (e.g. mujaheddin and Al Qaeda in Afghanistan, US Al Qaeda support in the Balkans into the mid-1990s; US covert terrorism in Iraq) and Latin America (e.g. the US School of Americas trained 60,000 Latin American military and police personnel including torturers, dictators, death squads, state terrorists and non-state terrorists; US terrorist squads bombed churches in Ecuador; horrendous death squads, Contra rebels and other terrorism in Latin America).

http://www.envirosagainstwar.org/know/read.php?itemid=4006

0 Replies