Atheists, smarter than religious people

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 4 Feb, 2007 08:17 pm
Cyracuz wrote:
Not that I don't think Frank can speak for himself, but Casper and Darth Vader are in a different league that the rest of the creatures mentioned. The big difference is that we know where they come from.

It is very easy to know that Darth Vader is a fictional character, since the man who created the character, says he is. That's pretty definite proof, wouldn't you say?
Only if you assume the All Mighy Darth Vader wasn't speaking through George Lucas. Do you have any evidence to disprove this?
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sun 4 Feb, 2007 08:20 pm
George says he didn't. He says Darth Vader is a product of his imagination. Is that good enough?
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 4 Feb, 2007 08:44 pm
Nope. There is no cause to assume the an all mighty Darth Vader would choose to enlighten George with the "truth". He may work in mysterious ways, you know. Now, you could say that there is increased cause for doubt in the case of Darth Vader; but Frank has been clear that degrees of doubt are laughably irrelevant... and thoroughly criticized Edgar for suggesting they're not. At this juncture; the only difference between Frank and Edgar's positions; is the degree to which each will lend the slightest bit of credence to that which is un-provable, improbable, or depending on your view; flat out ridiculous. Edgar has a slightly lower threshold for that which is ridiculous.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 4 Feb, 2007 09:16 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Nope. There is no cause to assume the an all mighty Darth Vader would choose to enlighten George with the "truth". He may work in mysterious ways, you know. Now, you could say that there is increased cause for doubt in the case of Darth Vader; but Frank has been clear that degrees of doubt are laughably irrelevant... and thoroughly criticized Edgar for suggesting they're not. At this juncture; the only difference between Frank and Edgar's positions; is the degree to which each will lend the slightest bit of credence to that which is un-provable, improbable, or depending on your view; flat out ridiculous. Edgar has a slightly lower threshold for that which is ridiculous.

I ain't sure I understand you; I haven't read anything beyond my last post. My basic position is, religion is a product of the imagination; I don't need evidence to refute it. I would have an open mind if somebody came up with something relevant, but they haven't.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 4 Feb, 2007 09:49 pm
I understand you perfectly, Edgar. I believe Frank has stepped into a trap that will force him to admit he does too. :wink:
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 4 Feb, 2007 09:50 pm
I have given up hope on Frank.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sun 4 Feb, 2007 10:31 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
...... then they try to put it to the innocent bystander to do the proving.

You're not quite the 'innocent bystander' , EB. You asserted that 'Science has shown.......'

When asked how or where science has 'shown' or proved this, you protest. Why?

edgarblythe wrote:
...... They are inventive with words and arguments, just totally devoid of facts to prove there are or may be gods.

You are devoid of the scientific basis that you claim to have, but I have never claimed to have scientific facts that prove God exists.

You can look long and hard and never find anything resembling that from me.

-----------------------------------

If your atheism is scientifically provable, go for it. What scientific evidence do you have that there is no God?

If your atheism is not scientifically derived, then what makes you any different from the theists you deride for having a belief that is not scientifically derived?

You seem to flip flop between claiming your atheism is based on scientific evidence and claiming that you need no evidence.

It would be helpful if you would pick a position and stick with it, but that may be asking a lot, since both of your alternatives are turning out to be a bit uncomfortable for you.

I do appreciate your civil tone and manner, EB. It's a pleasure to talk with you. Hope you are having a great night.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 4 Feb, 2007 11:08 pm
real life is a hopeless case; he wants people to prove theire's no god when he can't even prove there is! He's the one that supports the "god" in question. This guy not only has balls, but has no logic or common sense.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 4 Feb, 2007 11:25 pm
I had to wash my dog (Chow Chow in the bathtub - not recommended) now I'm back.

During the wash-cycle I asked my dog if she was the creator personified, she looked at me quite soulfully, no words were needed and I continued the shampooing.

Clearly this must tip the scale in favor of my dog over a deity that cannot be proven to exist!
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 5 Feb, 2007 08:54 am
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
Bill wrote:

Bill wrote:
Quote:
What evidence do you have for God's existence that is any more compelling than that of Casper? Does the theme of a story grant credibility to it? Are you relying on Ad Populum? Ad antiquitatem ? How can you know either was anything but the conception of a storyteller?

Among the silliest things atheists do when arguing with agnostics on the question of the existence of gods…is to pose questions about flying teapots, spaghetti monsters, pink unicorns, and Casper the Friendly Ghost.

Essentially, they are defining gods as impossible things…and then pretending there is some sort of clever logic at play in asking the agnostic why he does not react to all of those things the same way. It is an absurd argument used by atheists the way Christians sometimes use the "God gave us free will."…a kind of desperation. I feel sorry for the poor atheists when it happens.

No, Bill…I am not acting on ad populum nor ad antiquitatem fallacies. I simply am saying to you that I have enough evidence available to me to determine that Casper the Friendly Ghost is a fictional character…and that I do not have enough evidence available to me to determine if there are gods or no gods.

Quote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
Quote:
Do you believe Vampires do not exist?

No…but I am willing to guess they do not exist…at least not on planet Earth. I would say the evidence points to their being folklore creatures.
So, it is fair to say you are agnostic about the existence of Vampires? Further, since you couldn't possibly know; of what use is your guess one way or another? What kind of an A$$hole would opine about something they couldn't possibly prove? :wink:

It doesn't take an a$$hole to opine about something unproven…in fact, by definition, all opinions are about things unproven. I certainly have never suggested that people should refrain from opining or guessing about unproven things…but I have had several a$$holes suggest I have.

If you have enough evidence to make a guess or offer an opinion…I say do it. If you don't…do not. What is so hard to understand about that?

Quote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
Quote:
Do you believe Genie's do not exist?

No…but since they are defined as folklore or fairytale creatures, I am pretty sure they do not.
So, it is fair to say you are agnostic about the existence of Genies? Further, since you couldn't possibly know; of what use is your guess one way or another? What kind of an A$$hole would opine about something they couldn't possibly prove? :wink:

It doesn't take an a$$hole to opine about something unproven…in fact, by definition, all opinions are about things unproven. I certainly have never suggested that people should refrain from opining or guessing about unproven things…but I have had several a$$holes suggest I have.

If you have enough evidence to make a guess or offer an opinion…I say do it. If you don't…do not. What is so hard to understand about that?

And very often, a guess is not of much use. Is that a criterion for making a guess?

Quote:

Frank Apisa wrote:
Quote:
Do you believe Darth Vader does not exist?

No…I know Darth Vader does not exist. Darth Vader is a fictional character in the Star Wars series.
What evidence do you have to God's existence that is any more compelling than that of Darth Vader? Does the theme of a story grant credibility to it? Are you relying on Ad Populum? Ad antiquitatem ? How can you know either was anything but the conception of a storyteller?

Among the silliest things atheists do when arguing with agnostics on the question of the existence of gods…is to pose questions about flying teapots, spaghetti monsters, pink unicorns, and Darth Vader.

Essentially, they are defining gods as impossible things…and then pretending there is some sort of clever logic at play in asking the agnostic why he does not react to all of those things the same way. It is an absurd argument used by atheists the way Christians sometimes use the "God gave us free will."…a kind of desperation. I feel sorry for the poor atheists when it happens.

No, Bill…I am not acting on ad populum nor ad antiquitatem fallacies. I simply am saying to you that I have enough evidence available to me to determine that Darth Varder is a fictional character…and that I do not have enough evidence available to me to determine if there are gods or no gods.

Quote:

Frank Apisa wrote:
Quote:
And finally, do you believe gods do not exist?

No.
So you are atheist as far as Casper and Darth Vader are concerned, but agnostic about the existence of Vampires, Genies and God. Laughing

I am not atheistic about Casper and Darth Vader. Atheism has to do with denying the existence of gods…not cartoons and fictional characters. I find it amazing that you are attempting to engage me in this conversation, Bill, without knowing something as basic as that.

Quote:
It would appear that your agnosticism depends on your own willingness to lend credibility to stories you've heard.

I am willing to make guesses about some things…and unwilling to make guesses about other things. What the hell is your problem with that.

Some things I have enough evidence upon which to base a guesss…Casper, Darth Varder, Genies, Vampires, flying teapots and all that shyt…and some things…especially the existence of gods…I do not have enough evidence upon which to base a guess.

What the hell is your problem with that?????

Quote:

The exact same amount of evidence exists for the nonexistence of each of the above entities (NONE), correct?

No…absolutely phuking not!

Please provide all the evidence you have that gods do not exist…and I will go through this exercise with you. If not…blow it out you're a$$. Because you are the person claiming "the evidence for the nonexistence of each" is exactly the same…so all I have to do is to present one more piece of evidence that you present to show that gods do not exist…and you will be shown to be wrong.

It is interesting to me that you claim there IS ABSOLUTELY NO EVIDENCE THAT GODS DO NOT EXIST…yet you are willing to claim they do not exist. What kind of abject fool would do something as ignorant as that…and actually brag about it in public?????
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 5 Feb, 2007 08:56 am
Bill wrote:

Quote:
I understand you perfectly, Edgar. I believe Frank has stepped into a trap that will force him to admit he does too.

THIS...from the guy who didn't have the brains to actually set the trap...and had to ask my help in doing so!!!!!!

Oh this is too phuking funny for words. My life is normally filled with joys...but today has started out on a splendid note!!!

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Mon 5 Feb, 2007 09:06 am
Occom Bill wrote:
Quote:
Nope. There is no cause to assume the an all mighty Darth Vader would choose to enlighten George with the "truth". He may work in mysterious ways, you know.

Well, based on that line of "reasoning" there is no cause to assume that you're a real person. You might just be a thought in my head, and you might vanish when I go to sleep.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 5 Feb, 2007 01:50 pm
So then…

…may I assume that we are all now in substantial agreement that atheists not only are NOT necessarily more intelligent than any other group of individuals (religious or otherwise)…but in many cases are quite the opposite…a bunch of thick-headed, obstinate, boorish, dimwitted retards who, if they had any class, would not even consider the question of them being smarter than any one else?

Or have I gotten the substance of our agreement wrong?

By the way...

...and I do not know why this came to mind at this moment...

...but does anyone know why Blatham has not joined us in this discussion?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 5 Feb, 2007 02:12 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:

... does anyone know why Blatham has not joined us in this discussion?

Perhaps he's way too smart to bother playing around with so silly a donnybrook as this.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 5 Feb, 2007 02:31 pm
timberlandko wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:

... does anyone know why Blatham has not joined us in this discussion?

Perhaps he's way too smart to bother playing around with so silly a donnybrook as this.

Interesting that anyone would consider Bernie as "too smart" for anything!

Twisted Evil

(Boy, I hope he looks in!)
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Mon 5 Feb, 2007 06:04 pm
An atheist isn't a thing. There is no group of people called 'atheists', as there is no organization. Atheist is a completely arbitrary designation.

'Atheism' is nothing more than a catchword for people that have come to the only reasonable conclusion about a specific and quite trivial question.
it only stands to reason then, 'atheists'(those that answer that certain question the logical way) are probably more intelligent than people that posit more outlandish and unreasonable answers to that specific, trivial question.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 5 Feb, 2007 06:23 pm
Doktor S wrote:
An atheist isn't a thing. There is no group of people called 'atheists', as there is no organization. Atheist is a completely arbitrary designation.

'Atheism' is nothing more than a catchword for people that have come to the only reasonable conclusion about a specific and quite trivial question.
it only stands to reason then, 'atheists'(those that answer that certain question the logical way) are probably more intelligent than people that posit more outlandish and unreasonable answers to that specific, trivial question.

Funny...but I think atheists who think atheists are reasonable and logical...are in more delusion than most theists.

But that is only my personal opinon.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Mon 5 Feb, 2007 06:25 pm
oh boy, I can't wait for the heavyweighters to come along and tear that little cermon into shreds...

(This is referring to the comment by doktor S. Didn't specify it because I thought my post would be directly under his. But Frank squeezed in between.. )
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 5 Feb, 2007 07:13 pm
Hey Doc,
While I sympathize with your sentiments, your argument would have considerably more merit if you can get past these two points:

1) The rather large capacity for otherwise intelligent people to fool themselves - I for one have not met anyone whom is not very good at this (excluding yours truly of course).

2) The fact that (illogical) faith and (logical) reason regularly abide within the same intellect.

Hey Frank,
What precisely would it take for you to believe there is a god? I am not convinced that if god did make its presence known to you in some fashion, I would be any more likely to say with any reasonable certainty that god exists. How would I ever separate your truth from your illusion in this example?

The above argument tends to show it's impossible to reasonably prove god exists, thus this makes your position of saying there might be a god rather questionable in terms of demonstrable convincing proof. So again I ask, what precisely would it take for you to believe there is a god?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 5 Feb, 2007 07:41 pm
Chumly, Well stated as always.
0 Replies