Celebrating July Fourth

jackie

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 02:34 pm
4TH OF JULY
Have you ever wondered what happened to the 56 men who signed the Declaration of Independence? Five signers were captured by the British as traitors, and tortured
before they died. Twelve had their homes ransacked and burned. Two lost their sons serving in the Revolutionary Army; another had two sons captured.
Nine of the 56 fought and died from wounds or hardships of the Revolutionary War. They signed and they pledged their lives, their fortunes, and their sacred honor.
What kind of men were they? Twenty-four were lawyers and jurists. Eleven were merchants, nine were farmers and large plantation owners; men of means, well
educated, but they signed the Declaration of Independence knowing full well that the penalty would be death if they were captured. Carter Braxton of Virginia, a wealthy planter and trader, saw his Ships swept from the seas by the British Navy. He sold his
home and properties to pay his debts, and died in rags.
Thomas McKeam was so hounded by the British that he was forced to move his family almost constantly. He served in the Congress without pay, and his family was
kept in hiding. His possessions were taken from him, and poverty was his reward.
Vandals or soldiers looted the properties of Dillery, Hall, Clymer, Walton, Gwinnett, Heyward, Ruttledge, and Middleton. At the battle of Yorktown, Thomas
Nelson, Jr., noted that the British General, Cornwallis, had taken over the Nelson home for his headquarters. He quietly urged General George Washington to open fire. The home was destroyed, and Nelson died bankrupt. Francis Lewis had his home and properties destroyed. The enemy jailed his wife, and he died within a few months.
John Hart was driven from his wife's bedside as she was dying. Their 13 children fled for their lives. His fields and his gristmill were laid to waste. For more than a year he lived in forests and caves, returning home to find his wife dead and his children vanished.

Some of us take these liberties so much for granted, but we shouldn't. I will take a few minutes while enjoying my 4th of July holiday and silently thank these patriots. It's not much to ask for the sacrifice they gave for my freedom.

(And in this treacherous times of 'wars and rumors of wars' I will continue to hope these freedoms will not be compromised more than they have been up to now. But the outlook is hazy.)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,298 • Replies: 8
No top replies

NickFun

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 02:43 pm
We all need to have the same attitude that these brave men had. Our freedom is being compromised more now than ever! The so-called "Patriot Act" allows government to intrude into our lives and destoy our privacy in the name of "freedom". I suggest a massive revolt! Who's with me? LET'S GO!!!
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 05:44 pm
Very inspiring jackie ~ thank you for posting. I would like to share this passage with someone ~ are they your own words? If the words are from an excerpt, I would love to read the entire thing.

In my lifetime, I've never 'celebrated' Independence Day. I will this year.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 05:56 pm
Just as an "FYI", Snopes has a bit of a write up on this:

http://www.snopes.com/glurge/declare.htm
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 06:04 pm
Thanks, fishin!

Been meaning to tell you that I LOVE your new avatar! Very Happy
0 Replies

jackie

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 08:41 pm
Yes, thanks fishin'
A friend sent it to me, and I loved it, but she did not say where she read it. I was very touched.
Hi Rae- is your avatar a photo of you and your pet?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 11:06 pm
fishin' Thanks for the link. The glaring change from that period to today is so gross with the change in ethics and service to their country. They sacrificed all over 200 years ago. Today, they seek to enrich themselves and their friends. I wonder if this country will survive for the next 100 years? c.i.
0 Replies

MisterEThoughts

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 10:08 pm
tooo bad i worked on 4th of july mann danggg
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 10:59 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
I wonder if this country will survive for the next 100 years? c.i.

Man, I sure hope so! I have NO desire whatsoever to live through the end of this society. (Not that I'm planning to live another 100 years, but you know what I mean.)
0 Replies