the+'adjective'

bn

Reply Wed 24 Jan, 2007 10:51 am
I learned in school that an"adjective" can combine with a definite article to make a common noun phrase.. for example, "the rich(=rich people)" , "the good" , "the accused" etc.

now I am just wondering if "the founded" is a correct expression. if it is a correct expression, what does it mean?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,448 • Replies: 13
No top replies

McTag

Reply Wed 24 Jan, 2007 11:46 am
It's not a normal expression, and it doesn't mean anything to me.

But you're right about the use of adjectives like that.

for example "the bereaved", "the ignorant", "the deaf" and so on.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 24 Jan, 2007 12:06 pm
"The founder" would be the very first person to start something.

For example;
McTag is the founder of the Deviate Haggis Molesting Society of Scotland.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Wed 24 Jan, 2007 12:34 pm
Re: the+'adjective'
bn wrote:
I learned in school that an"adjective" can combine with a definite article to make a common noun phrase.

now I am just wondering if "the founded" is a correct expression.

"Founded" is not used as an adjective in English, so "the founded" is not a common noun phrase.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 24 Jan, 2007 03:20 pm
dadpad wrote:
"The founder" would be the very first person to start something.

For example;
McTag is the founder of the Deviate Haggis Molesting Society of Scotland.

How did you know about that? Shocked

Anyway, we're trying to help a student here, not molest haggises.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Wed 24 Jan, 2007 07:37 pm
"The founded" is proper usgae and does mean something in English.

It is a noun phrase that mean "the things that were founded"
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 25 Jan, 2007 01:33 am
stuh505 wrote:
"The founded" is proper usgae and does mean something in English.

It is a noun phrase that mean "the things that were founded"

Yes of course, but in the context of a student learning EFL, that usage is so unusual that in my opinion it should be discounted. Wouldn't you agree?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 25 Jan, 2007 09:25 am
Re: the+'adjective'
bn wrote:
I learned in school that an"adjective" can combine with a definite article to make a common noun phrase.. for example, "the rich(=rich people)" , "the good" , "the accused" etc.

now I am just wondering if "the founded" is a correct expression. if it is a correct expression, what does it mean?

As McTag has pointed out, "the founded" is technically correct, but it would be very, very unusual.

And, to be hyper-technical, "founded" is not an adjective, it's a past participle.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 27 Jan, 2007 11:03 pm
To me, this word is so unusual that it's non-existent. But that's not so uncommon for a whole raft of adjectives that lie in wait for some special meaning to arise so that they can spring to life and become usual.

I just googled it and found that the number of hits illustrate that it is in use for some, in certain circumstances.

Results 1 - 10 of about 46,400 English pages for "the founded".

Joe, there's one I found in a bill from NH;

"This bill requires founded reports of child abuse and neglect to be listed in the central registry and establishes a procedure for individuals to petition to have their names removed from the registry."

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/legislation/2002/sb0409.html

Also founded constructions, founded framework, founded documents. All Greek to me. Confused
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2007 01:31 am
These are not even noun phrases (see original question)

But they are bloody obscure. I wish people would stop doing that.

Hey in the quote supplied from the NH document: "removed from the registry"

To me, a registry is a buiding or an office. Do they mean "removed from the register"?
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2007 01:34 am
McTag wrote:
To me, a registry is a buiding or an office. Do they mean "removed from the register"?

Yes, "registry" is sometimes used in that sense, as a synonym for "the register."
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2007 01:59 am
Yes, but should it be? It's a mistake, no?
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2007 02:20 am
No, I think in this context registry would be referring to the book or list of registered people. I don't think that "the founded" is obscure at all.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2007 10:40 am
stuh505 wrote:
No, I think in this context registry would be referring to the book or list of registered people. I don't think that "the founded" is obscure at all.

It was obscure in my language circle, Stuh; I think I mentioned nonexistent, but obviously it's not all that uncommon. It's still not something that I'm comfortable with, meaning only that it's not yet set in my passive vocabulary, meaning again that I wouldn't know how to use it in an active sense.

McTag, the Cambridge International Dictionary of English doesn't list 'registry' in the sense that doesn't exist in your vocabulary but the Cambridge Dictionary of American English does. CdE makes use of 'registry' in the book sense too.

We colonials had to have a little majesty so we added majesterial endings to some words. We didn't want to be listed in a mere register.
0 Replies