Why does the god of the Bible consider slavery to be moral??

neologist

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2007 09:41 am
Setanta wrote:
neologist wrote:
But there are some who use parts of the bible to 'prove' a point while ignoring those parts of the bible which controvert their argument.

Which is compelling evidence that scripture routinely and constantly contradicts itself.
Or explains itself.

Good morning, Set.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2007 10:35 am
neologist wrote:
snood wrote:
neologist wrote:
snood wrote:
neologist wrote:
cicerone imposter wrote:
But god "created" satan the same way he created jesus.
Hi, CI. good to hear from you.

You do know that Satan is not the rebel's actual name, don't you? We capitalize the word satan (resister) to indicate the quintessential rebel, but his real name is never stated.

Satan became Satan when he decided to rebel.

We don't have to believe in free will to understand that the bible clearly supports the idea that Satan had a choice just as did Adam and Eve.

So, what was Satan's original name?
Don't know. Never mentioned. I doubt we will ever know, since his name doesn't seem to deserve remembrance.

On what do you base your statement that it is not his actual name?
The Hebrew word satan is used to mean 'rebel' or 'resister'. But when it is used with the definite article ha satan, it refers to God's chief adversary. Similarly, the Greek ho satanas is the custmary expression for the satan, the resister known as Satan.

How does this indicate to you that Satan had another name originally?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2007 10:51 am
snood wrote:
neologist wrote:
snood wrote:
neologist wrote:
snood wrote:
neologist wrote:
cicerone imposter wrote:
But god "created" satan the same way he created jesus.
Hi, CI. good to hear from you.

You do know that Satan is not the rebel's actual name, don't you? We capitalize the word satan (resister) to indicate the quintessential rebel, but his real name is never stated.

Satan became Satan when he decided to rebel.

We don't have to believe in free will to understand that the bible clearly supports the idea that Satan had a choice just as did Adam and Eve.

So, what was Satan's original name?
Don't know. Never mentioned. I doubt we will ever know, since his name doesn't seem to deserve remembrance.

On what do you base your statement that it is not his actual name?
The Hebrew word satan is used to mean 'rebel' or 'resister'. But when it is used with the definite article ha satan, it refers to God's chief adversary. Similarly, the Greek ho satanas is the customary expression for the satan, the resister known as Satan.

How does this indicate to you that Satan had another name originally?
Would you say it was unlikely for God to name one of his creatures Rebel? I would. Added to that is Satan's eventual destruction. There will be a time when he will be no more. All that we will remember is that, one time, a rebel existed, caused much misery, and was done away with.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2007 10:52 am
Oh, and good morning, Snood. I'll be back in a few hours.

Meanwhile, help yourself to the coffee.
Scones are in the cupboard on the left.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2007 11:46 am
Neologist:

Quote:
Would you say it was unlikely for God to name one of his creatures Rebel? I would.

He might have. I don't know the mind of God and neither do you. It would have saved us a few posts if you'd just said you were guessing.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2007 12:09 pm
neologist wrote:
Setanta wrote:
neologist wrote:
But there are some who use parts of the bible to 'prove' a point while ignoring those parts of the bible which controvert their argument.

Which is compelling evidence that scripture routinely and constantly contradicts itself.
Or explains itself.

Good morning, Set.

Good afternoon.

If the texts upon which they make their argument are "controverted" by other passages in the scripture, than by definition, the scripture contradicts itself.

You don't even get a nice try on that one.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2007 12:11 pm
But we all have to give neo credit for the perpetual "nice try" guy.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2007 12:24 pm
Setanta wrote:
neologist wrote:
Setanta wrote:
neologist wrote:

Or explains itself.

Good morning, Set.

Good afternoon.

If the texts upon which they make their argument are "controverted" by other passages in the scripture, than by definition, the scripture contradicts itself.

Controverting one's argument does not necessarily involve controverting the scriptures spuriously used to support that argument.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2007 12:26 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
But we all have to give neo credit for the perpetual "nice try" guy.
But, of course. We are all nice guys, once we remove our armor and check our handguns, grenades, etc.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2007 12:27 pm
neo, I don't own any of those things you listed in your last post. Wink Cool
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2007 12:30 pm
snood wrote:
Neologist:

Quote:
Would you say it was unlikely for God to name one of his creatures Rebel? I would.

He might have. I don't know the mind of God and neither do you. It would have saved us a few posts if you'd just said you were guessing.
It is a leap into reckless conjecture to assert that his name is known to humans.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2007 12:31 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
neo, I don't own any of those things you listed in your last post. Wink Cool
All the more credit to you, CI.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2007 12:44 pm
neologist wrote:
Setanta wrote:
neologist wrote:
Setanta wrote:
neologist wrote:

Or explains itself.

Good morning, Set.

Good afternoon.

Controverting one's argument does not necessarily involve controverting the scriptures spuriously used to support that argument.

No, certainly not. However, Mequite quoted scripture and stated that you can beat the crap out of your slave, and it's OK as long as you don't kill him. The scripture he quoted clearly states as much, so if you claim that what Mequite wrote is controverted by other scripture, that other scripture also controverts the scripture he cited. So unless you can "prove" that the scripture he cited does not mean what it patently says, you are yourself inferentially claiming that scripture contradicts itself.

Good luck "proving" that.
0 Replies

kate4christ03

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2007 12:46 pm
satan means adversary....his original name was Lucifer. he was an angel who fell. Isaiah 14:12-17...he is also called King of Tyre in Ezekiel 28:11-19
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2007 12:54 pm
kate4christ03 wrote:
satan means adversary....his original name was Lucifer. he was an angel who fell. Isaiah 14:12-17...he is also called King of Tyre in Ezekiel 28:11-19

Lucifer is a Latin-origin name. It only appears in Christian texts because Latin was a commonly spoken language when Christians were making up their fairy tales. It could not possibly have even have been alleged to be the name of the putative "Satan" by Hewbrews who lived before the city of Rome was even founded, and if anyone was speaking Latin, it was a tribe a few dozen families in a remote and obscure region on the west coast of Italy.

It just fractures me how Christians make this sh*t up.

[url=http://www.answers.com/topic/lucifer][b]Answers-dot-com[/b][/url] wrote:
Lu·ci·fer n.

1. The archangel cast from heaven for leading the revolt of the angels; Satan.
2. The planet Venus in its appearance as the morning star.
3. lucifer A friction match.
[Middle English, from Old English, morning star, Lucifer, from Latin Lucifer, from lucifer, light-bringer : lux, luc-, light + -fer, -fer.] (emphasis added)
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2007 01:01 pm
neologist wrote:
snood wrote:
Neologist:

Quote:

It is a leap into reckless conjecture to assert that his name is known to humans.

Seems just as much a "leap into conjecture" to assert what you did about Satan's original name.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2007 01:06 pm
Well,the Latin word lucifer is also a title meaning 'shining one', applied to the king of Babylon in Isaiah 14:4,12. In verse 13, referring to the 'mount of the congregation' is a reference to Davidic line of kings leading to the Messiah.

But the bottom line is that Lucifer is also a title.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2007 01:08 pm
snood wrote:
neologist wrote:
snood wrote:
Neologist:

Quote:

Seems just as much a "leap into conjecture" to assert what you did about Satan's original name.
Well, then where in the bible will you find his name?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2007 01:11 pm
Setanta wrote:
kate4christ03 wrote:

Lucifer is a Latin-origin name. It only appears in Christian texts because Latin was a commonly spoken language when Christians were making up their fairy tales. It could not possibly have even have been alleged to be the name of the putative "Satan" by Hewbrews who lived before the city of Rome was even founded, and if anyone was speaking Latin, it was a tribe a few dozen families in a remote and obscure region on the west coast of Italy.

It just fractures me how Christians make this sh*t up.

[url=http://www.answers.com/topic/lucifer][b]Answers-dot-com[/b][/url] wrote:
Lu·ci·fer n.

1. The archangel cast from heaven for leading the revolt of the angels; Satan.
2. The planet Venus in its appearance as the morning star.
3. lucifer A friction match.
[Middle English, from Old English, morning star, Lucifer, from Latin Lucifer, from lucifer, light-bringer : lux, luc-, light + -fer, -fer.] (emphasis added)
Thank you, Set for the reference. Although one should point out that the term archangel is never applied to Satan.
0 Replies

kate4christ03

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2007 01:13 pm
Since the bible is translated in English the term Lucifer was used....the actual hebrew word is Llyh and transliterated heylel. It's no different than saying the germanic derived word God instead of hwhy(original hebrew) transliterated Y@hovah.
0 Replies