Can't the USA live without (cold) war?

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2007 09:29 am
the Czech prime minister said The U.S.A. had asked to put a high-power radar base in the Czech republic.

In Poland, an anti-missile position is planned.

All of course as part of its global missile defense system and war against terror - those countries really are best situated to watch North Korea and act against Iran and others in the Middle East.

Why are the Russians so stupid as to belief it's something they should be concerned of?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,207 • Replies: 58
No top replies

roger

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2007 10:45 am
No, we don't need the cold war. Anything to be afraid of will do. Right now, it's global warming.

Is Russia supposed to be concerned about these installations?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2007 10:53 am
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/stevetheq/slim.jpg
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2007 10:59 am
roger wrote:

According to the news: yes: Washington's Missile Strategy for Europe Provokes Russia

(What would you think the US would do if Russia starts doing the same in Mexico and Canada?)
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2007 11:27 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
roger wrote:

According to the news: yes: Washington's Missile Strategy for Europe Provokes Russia

(What would you think the US would do if Russia starts doing the same in Mexico and Canada?)

What reason would they have to do so? Not much threatening Russia in this hemisphere. They would be wise to join the US in the war on terror considering the trouble they have in Chechnya.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2007 11:30 am
McGentrix wrote:
What reason would they have to do so?

Reasons as noted in the link. (And similar published/broadcasted/videoed in other media.)
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2007 11:41 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
What reason would they have to do so?

Reasons as noted in the link. (And similar published/broadcasted/videoed in other media.)

I didn't see anything in the article that would give Russia a reason to place any radar sites in Mexico or Canada. Maybe you could point them out?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2007 11:42 am
If Russia wants to protect Mexico from balistic missiles, let them, I say.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2007 12:17 pm
McGentrix wrote:
I didn't see anything in the article that would give Russia a reason to place any radar sites in Mexico or Canada. Maybe you could point them out?

I do neither.

What was exactly the reason for the missile project in Poland and the radar in the Czech Republic?
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2007 12:36 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Walter Hinteler wrote:
roger wrote:

What reason would they have to do so? Not much threatening Russia in this hemisphere. They would be wise to join the US in the war on terror considering the trouble they have in Chechnya.

So if the Russians voiced concerns about Colombian terrorists and FARC training camps, and started stationing missiles in Mexico and Cuba (instead of, say, Panama) - that would be okay with you?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2007 03:13 pm
I believe we are discussing anti-missile systems, here. I may well feel differently if they were mounting offensive missile systems. I could also understand how Russia would have similar objections - but that's a different subject.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2007 03:23 pm
You might be correct, roger.

Another, different point of view might come from other EU-members, who often thought (secretely) before that Poland is just the Trojan horse of the US within Europe.

(That's what a Polish Member of the European Parliament said last weekend on German tv.)
0 Replies

anton

Reply Thu 25 Jan, 2007 03:07 am
McGentrix wrote:

McGentrix your sort of thinking just strengthens my opinion that many Americans live in a dream world where death and destruction are the accepted norm. That seems to be the mindset nurtured by the US president and his cohorts who believed they could spread democracy and peace to the Middle East with their "shock and awe," which involved raining death and destruction on innocent men women and children. I really don't give a damn about the US but I wish they would leave the rest of the Western World out of their paranoia and so called war on terror. When are Americans going to wake up to the fact that they are part of the problem, if they believe they are a target of terrorists they should stop and think and understand it is a very fine line between patriotism and terrorism, what would you do if a foreign power illegally invaded and occupied your country?
Fight your war fired by paranoia and talk up terrorism but for Gods sake do it alone and keep your missiles out of Europe; leave those countries who want to live in peace out of your manic aggression; try to win the respect of the world that your president arrogantly threw away.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 25 Jan, 2007 07:52 am
anton wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

McGentrix your sort of thinking just strengthens my opinion that many Americans live in a dream world where death and destruction are the accepted norm. That seems to be the mindset nurtured by the US president and his cohorts who believed they could spread democracy and peace to the Middle East with their "shock and awe," which involved raining death and destruction on innocent men women and children. I really don't give a damn about the US but I wish they would leave the rest of the Western World out of their paranoia and so called war on terror. When are Americans going to wake up to the fact that they are part of the problem, if they believe they are a target of terrorists they should stop and think and understand it is a very fine line between patriotism and terrorism, what would you do if a foreign power illegally invaded and occupied your country?
Fight your war fired by paranoia and talk up terrorism but for Gods sake do it alone and keep your missiles out of Europe; leave those countries who want to live in peace out of your manic aggression; try to win the respect of the world that your president arrogantly threw away.

I remember when I had my first Foster's too. Good times.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 27 Jan, 2007 11:24 pm
McGentrix wrote:
anton wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

Anton,

McG is programmed to turn away from anything remotely resembling the truth. You can see how effective it has been.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2007 01:16 am
McGentrix wrote:
anton wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

Huh? What sort of an excuse is that for a response, McGentrix? Rolling Eyes

.... I'm curious, though, to hear your response to a question anton asked of you.: What would you do if a foreign power illegally invaded & occupied your country?

Would it be OK if the leadership of the invading country believed it was in their own best interests & also good for the US?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2007 01:44 pm
You mean if I lived in a country that had been in various states of war for 30+ years, had a dictator that ruled by death squads and had raped and pillaged my fellow country men and women and resources, that had no real freedoms of any kind and I was dirt poor like everyone else?

I would probably be one of those guys that greeted the invading army as liberators.

Anton was obvioulsy drunk when he wrote that, thus my reply.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2007 05:33 pm
McGentrix wrote:
You mean if I lived in a country that had been in various states of war for 30+ years, had a dictator that ruled by death squads and had raped and pillaged my fellow country men and women and resources, that had no real freedoms of any kind and I was dirt poor like everyone else?

I would probably be one of those guys that greeted the invading army as liberators.

The flowers were noticebly absent; possibly a hundred thousand have died because of the lies, the duplicity, the perfidy; how many peoples homes have been destroyed; how many were killed by the indiscriminate use of white phosphorous; how many will be affected by the depleted uranium that has been spread across the land.

This last one is particularly egregious given that these people posture they care for the Iraqi people. How is it caring to spread radioactive contamination around and over people you supposedly are trying to help?

Once again, McG ignores the truth, the facts, because his position is indefensible.

Please be patient, folks, McG's waiting for the next set of talking points to come down.
0 Replies

anton

Reply Mon 29 Jan, 2007 02:01 am
McGentrix is in the minority and as one of the tenets of democracy is the will of the majority his opinion is just a damp squib, it's just an opinion.
The true American patriots stood up in the recent US elections and told the Bush regime what they wanted; this was further reinforced in the anti-war demonstrations on the weekend. Today the regime is claiming to have killed 250 plus insurgents, the truth cannot be hidden, how many of those killed are innocent Iraqi civilians?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 29 Jan, 2007 07:11 am
McGentrix wrote:

Anton was obvioulsy drunk when he wrote that, thus my reply.

No, you were asked how you'd respond if someone invaded your country, but never mind ....

Ya know, McGentrix, it makes me weary the way some folk have to reminded again & again & again .... the US did not invade Iraq to bring democracy to the poor, downtrodden people. The excuse at the time was WMDs. Remember?
0 Replies