art buckwald dies

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2007 09:38 am
WASHINGTON - Columnist and author Art Buchwald, who for over four decades chronicled the life and times of Washington with an infectious wit and endeared himself to many with his never-say-die battle with failing kidneys, is dead at 81.

Buchwald's son, Joel, who was with his father, disclosed the satirist's death, saying he had passed away quietly at his home late Wednesday with his family.

Buchwald had refused dialysis treatments for his failing kidneys last year and was expected to die within weeks of moving to a hospice on Feb. 7. But he lived to return home and even write a book about his experiences.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,337 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2007 09:44 am
Oh, how sad. It was so strange. I had just read the latest Reader's Digest yesterday. One of the things that they had was an article about Buchwald and the way that he lived his life at the end. I wondered whether he was still living, and now this.

I think that he is a role model for all of us, in terms of dealing with his impending mortality. He was a great guy, and had a wonderful sense of humor.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2007 09:50 am
Oh, too bad! Sad I didn't read him often, but when I did, I inevitably enjoyed whatever he wrote.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2007 12:31 pm
He was a good man...and funny to a fault. I'll miss his commentary.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2007 12:35 pm
Loved his wit. He was a good guy.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2007 12:40 pm
I remember especially one Buchwald joke which got a lot of attention from people a long time ago.

When I was young, the newspapers were full of news of the Red Guards who were running all over China. They were kind of young super fundamentalist Communists, and they were shutting down various establishements for not being sufficiently Communist, changing street names to boost ideology, banning plays and movies with themes they didn't like, etc.

One of the things they did was to change the name of a famous Peking street to "East Is Red Avenue".

Art Buchwald had a running joke in his columns at the time about how, in response, the Mayor of New York was going to officially change the name of Fifth Avenue to "West Is Red, White and Blue Boulevard". Very Happy
0 Replies