• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,998 • Replies: 31
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2007 06:58 pm
Weep.

Are the rebels hungry? Ignorant re the gorillas importance? Knowledgable and doing this in spite?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2007 07:05 pm
I predict that only humans and viruses will survive the 21st Century.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2007 07:07 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
I predict that only humans and viruses will survive the 21st Century.

nope, cockroaches and viruses will be about it
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2007 07:09 pm
<sigh> I wish I hadn't read that. Bastids. Was there nothing else to eat?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2007 07:24 pm
Would anyone here rather see a few of the billions being wasted in Iraq directed instead toward this region of the world?

There must be oil there somewhere.

Couldn't someone convince Bush that those rebels are members of Al-Qaeda? No, I guess that would be a bad plan. Bush would originally go after the rebels, but then he would decide to kill the gorillas instead.

He would say something about freedom on the march.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2007 07:25 pm
If you were as hungry as that you wouldnt hesitate.

It is only from your safe, warm, energy guzzling house where you never really have to think about where your next feed is coming from that you can make judgemental statements.

Why dont you eat a little less you fat bastard!
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2007 07:29 pm
Quote:
There must be oil there somewhere.

and what result would discovering and developing oil in this region have?

Habitat destruction? exploitation of indigenouse population?

Turn your friggen lights off when you dont need them and stop driving your car.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2007 07:30 pm
ok, sorry I showed some concern.

Kill the focking gorillas.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2007 07:33 pm
dadpad wrote:
and what result would discovering and developing oil in this region have?

Next time I will type slower, dadpad, and perhaps you will catch the gist of my statement.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2007 07:34 pm
Well, I don't know how that tilts, dadpad.

I have some family of x-family that have suffered immensely in Africa. I don't know that sheer hunger was the thing here. Do you?
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2007 07:44 pm
I got the gist Gus.

Did you see the articals about the decimation of hippo populations in the same region?

The purpous of making raw and confrontational statements is to get people to look beyond the warm and fuzzy feelings one gets from "caring" and examining the REAL reason things like this happen.

Be carefull what you wish for You might just get it.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2007 08:04 pm
I guess I thought you were drunk, hostile, and confrontational. I was scared for a moment.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2007 08:48 pm
I dont get the yelling.

I also dont think that your take, Dadpad, comes any close to "the REAL reason things like this happen" than what the others were sighing. Do you really think its out of hunger that the rebels killed the gorillas?

Perhaps you should re-read one of those stories about the hippos that you mention. Its not hunger that drives the rebels to slaughter the hippos, in any case.

Here, I started a thread about it a while ago (0 responses):

Rangers take on rebels to end slaughter of Congo's hippos
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2007 08:53 pm
I missed that, nimh. Will look.

I don't think anyone ever clicked on my Lagos thread either, but I'll have to go scrounge to find it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2007 09:00 pm
Well, I see my Lagos thread (or posts) are only in my mind. Back if I can find the original link.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2007 09:00 pm
Oh yeah, post a link if you find it back. I read a lengthy article about Lagos in The New Yorker coupla months ago, and was floored. By the sheer brutality of size and scope of problems - and the degree to which it appears to be a 'model' of future development that we'll see a hell of a lot more of.

On which count (sorry to the others for the digression), a related recent OneWorld article: Slum Hordes? World at Urban Crossroads, Warns Report ("Over half the 1.1 billion people projected to join the world's population over the next quarter century could live in under-served urban slums, warns a report released today by an environmental and social policy think tank.")
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2007 09:07 pm
That was it, it was by George Packer. I easily found some links to links, but the plain NY article did floor me, photos and text.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2007 09:15 pm
annndddd, I think it was Lagos, that I saw some concept fly by do/good architects or landarchs re Lagos or similar place, and I might or might not have saved the link. Let me just say, despite the cataclysmic lack of understanding, they were at least paying attention. Not that I understand either. (I know that this is peripheral to your interests, nimh, but some good stuff comes up on archnewsnow.com).
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2007 09:25 pm
nimh wrote:
I also dont think that your take, Dadpad, comes any close to "the REAL reason things like this happen" than what the others were sighing. Do you really think its out of hunger that the rebels killed the gorillas?

Perhaps you should re-read one of those stories about the hippos that you mention. Its not hunger that drives the rebels to slaughter the hippos, in any case.

Here, I'll pull a specific bit out of the article/thread about the hippos to clarify what I mean.

Quote:
In a frenzied slaughter earlier this month, Congolese rebels shot several hundred hippos on the south-western shore of Lake Edward in Virunga national park, halving an already decimated population. Less than two decades ago, conservationists counted 22,875 hippos in the park, most of them in and around the lake. But an aerial count last week showed that what was once the world's most important hippo stock had been reduced to 315 animals. [..]

Shortly before midday a fortnight ago, four motorised pirogues approached Vitshumbi, a fishing village on the southwestern shore of the lake. Each carried about 20 Mai Mai men armed with AK-47s. They told the worried villagers that they had not come to attack them but rather the hippos, which are valued for their meat and the ivory found in their long canine teeth. As the pirogues chugged from one pod of animals to the next the water boiled red.

"Ah Papa, it was terrible," said Fernand Kawembe, the head of police in Vitshumbi. "They were shooting all day."

The dead hippos were dragged to the shallows, hacked into large chunks and loaded into a second of fleet of pirogues. By nightfall, 74 hippos had been killed, according to Mr Kawembe. There was so much hippo meat, described by locals as a cross between pork and beef, for sale in the lakeside villages that the price had sunk to under 10p a kilogram, less than a 10th of the cost of goat meat.

This - and so much else that comes with it - is about the psychology of power and abuse.

It's about what happens if you arm kids, themselves twisted by trauma and abuse, with machineguns. In a country that's in a perpetual state of anarchy, where all ties and communities have been ruptured by violence.

Hunger, not so much.
0 Replies