STEP-MARRIAGE

whoopi2

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2007 03:57 pm
hello all. i am in love with someone i've known for over 25 years. our relationship is 'rather' long distance but we are very much connected emotionally. the problem i have is that now that we are seriously talking about marriage and after getting all caught up in the whole 'getting engaged and married' thing, i am now having second and third thoughts about it.
we are both in our late 40's and have been married before and 2 children each. i should start off by saying that i had no intention of starting a new relationship with him or anyone else when we began corresponding but we did have feelings for eachother many years ago so i guess those old flames started again but i have been single and celibate for over 6 yrs and have been comfortable without any desire to change that status. anyway... i have one teen daughter and a daughter in college. he has 2 teen sons.
i have been trying to relocate for a year now and he would be relocating to be with me too. the problem is that while i have raised both my girls as a single mom, i have ABSOLUTELY NO DESIRE to raise anymore children. i feel it would be unfair to continue in a relationship with him knowing full well that i do not want to be a step-mom.
i have tried making my concerns known to him but he always dismisses them as jitters and tells me how nice and well behaved his boys are. his youngest wants to live with him when he relocates because he has been in a different state than him all his life.
i have other issues about this too like... my intention has always been to relocate with my youngest daughter and rent a 3 bdrm home for me and my girls. when the relationship progressed i included him in those plans but i stopped short of realizing he also has a ready made family. he says he'd like to buy a house within a yr or two... i had not considered that before he mentioned it. what happens if something happens to one of us? my kids vs. his kids? it is all too complicated and i am at a point where i want out. all my kids have is me where his kids have both parents. i feel like the short stick somehow... too many variables to consider - social security, etc.. HELP! can anyone work with me thru this? Embarrassed
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 406 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2007 04:29 pm
When you marry a person with children, the kids are part of the package. If you are not interested in being a good stepmother to his children, then, IMO, you have no business even considering marrying him. If you do, you will end up with two miserable adults, and unhappy children.

Do yourselves both a favor. End it.

BTW, Welcome to A2K!
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2007 05:12 pm
Well said, phoenix.

In the immortal words of Barney Fife-- Nip it! Nip it in the bud!

Better a few weeks of misery for you than a lifetime of misery for his kids.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2007 07:20 pm
Whoopi--

Welcome to A2K.

Parenting teenagers isn't easy, but even if these kids are 13 & 14 years old you are only talking about five years.

What worries me is not so much the teenagers, but the teenagers' father's deafness. You keep saying, "I don't want to be a step mother." He keeps brushing you off and ignoring your reservations.

Do you really want to marry a guy who discounts your opinions and desires this way? Selfishness in a long distance relationship can be overlooked, but face-to-face selfishness would doom a marriage.
0 Replies