Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 07:21 pm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,695 • Replies: 37
No top replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 10:03 pm
I've said this before, at least a dozen times, and I may as well say it again. Get it through your skulls, folks that there is no war on drugs. There is a concerted (if sneaky) attack on our civil liberties. There is a mechanism for providing well-paying jobs for the relatives of Washington insiders who are furnished with badges and police powers. It seems that we learned nothing from the failed attempt at Prohibition. The 18th Amendment was what made organized crime profitable and led to the Mafia getting a foothold in North America in the 1920s. Today it's the drug trade which is responsible for most of the murders and gang warfare in our inner cities and the serious overcrowding in our prisons. We have made criminals out of people who are merely sick -- addicted to a substance which should be controlled and taxed the same way alcohol and tobacco products are. It would go a long way toward alleviating the crime statistics in this country.

(In the interests of full disclosure, I neither use drugs nor consume alcohol. I do smoke cigarettes.)
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 10:10 pm
Agree with every word... save I drink and have been known to occasionally smoke strong cigarettes. :wink: Tried lots of stuff as a kid and the only thing that ever addicted me was these friggin cigarettes.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 10:19 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Agree with every word... save I drink and have been known to occasionally smoke strong cigarettes. :wink: Tried lots of stuff as a kid and the only thing that ever addicted me was these friggin cigarettes.

I used to drink fairly heavily and if somebody was passing a bone around at a party, I'd gladly take a hit. Found that it wasn't that hard to give it up when I decided that it was interfering with clear thinking. The butts, now, that's a different matter. Probably the most addictive substance available without a prescription.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 10:39 pm
I think you're right. Pot and Booze are nothing more than gateway drugs to the real killer; cigarettes.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2007 08:02 am
OCCOM BILL wrote:
I think you're right. Pot and Booze are nothing more than gateway drugs to the real killer; cigarettes.

There's a reason pot is a gateway drug. When we tell kids that all drugs are bad and they try pot for the first time and it leaves them not wanting more right away then they see no harm. They think we adults lied about every drug and they try it. That is where the harm comes from.

I smoke I'll be honest. I have a dog in the legalization fight. Pot is the only drug that should be legalized. It doesn't create the same types of issues that other drugs do. It doesn't cause you to be physically addicted but it does have a mental component. I have never had a negative effect from pot to include wanting to rob someone so that I could get more. Other drugs have this effect but not pot. This past election here in CO we had to vote for legalization and I voted yes. It didn't pass but that is going to be a not yet. I don't support the legalization of the dangerous drugs like meth, coke, herion, crack and pcp. Those have a negative effect on society and destroy families.
0 Replies

Vinny Z

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2007 10:36 am
Pot or ciggies, your still sucking smoke, which I cannot believe is ever a real good idea.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2007 10:52 am
Baldimo wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:

There's a reason pot is a gateway drug. When we tell kids that all drugs are bad and they try pot for the first time and it leaves them not wanting more right away then they see no harm. They think we adults lied about every drug and they try it. That is where the harm comes from.

I smoke I'll be honest. I have a dog in the legalization fight. Pot is the only drug that should be legalized. It doesn't create the same types of issues that other drugs do. It doesn't cause you to be physically addicted but it does have a mental component. I have never had a negative effect from pot to include wanting to rob someone so that I could get more. Other drugs have this effect but not pot. This past election here in CO we had to vote for legalization and I voted yes. It didn't pass but that is going to be a not yet. I don't support the legalization of the dangerous drugs like meth, coke, herion, crack and pcp. Those have a negative effect on society and destroy families.

Agree ++++1000%

You described exactly my situation above - I didn't move on to trying coke and the other harder drugs (I could see what it did to my friends, no thanks) but I felt betrayed as well when I tried pot and it didn't do anything too bad to me.

Bill,

THe cigs. Jeesh. Took me years to quit, now it's been almost three. You are correct, they are the most insiduous and dangerous drug you can get here in America, and they're legal!

Our system is so screwy...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2007 12:30 pm
Gosh, we seem to have found some common ground. Though I have never smoked any substance, I don't see why pot is not legalized. That said, I don't think legalizing pot would do anything to alleviate the problems with other drugs that this thread opened with. And legalizing something (heroin, pcp, etc) just because it causes problems as an illegal substance is not the way I would want our legal system to start thinking proper. (Hmm, awful lot of people out there driving drunk. Maybe if we just legalize drunk driving...)
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2007 12:47 pm
LEGALIZE POT!
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2007 01:47 pm
CoastalRat wrote:
Gosh, we seem to have found some common ground. Though I have never smoked any substance, I don't see why pot is not legalized. That said, I don't think legalizing pot would do anything to alleviate the problems with other drugs that this thread opened with. And legalizing something (heroin, pcp, etc) just because it causes problems as an illegal substance is not the way I would want our legal system to start thinking proper. (Hmm, awful lot of people out there driving drunk. Maybe if we just legalize drunk driving...)

It could be legalized with restrictions, like only in your own home, no driving except to the corner to get snacks, and having to wait a minimum 24 hours before implimenting any "great" ideas.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2007 01:54 pm
squinney wrote:
CoastalRat wrote:

It could be legalized with restrictions, like only in your own home, no driving except to the corner to get snacks, and having to wait a minimum 24 hours before implimenting any "great" ideas.

I agree. Same rescritctions as drinking.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2007 02:18 pm
at the very least decriminalize simple possesion, a fine for a small amount makes more sense than jail time
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2007 02:38 pm
djjd62 wrote:
at the very least decriminalize simple possesion, a fine for a small amount makes more sense than jail time

CO where I live has fines for anything under on ounce. Over an ounce and you are considered selling.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2007 02:40 pm
100 dollar ticket for anything under an Oz here.

Of course, you could always get your license... and then it's smooooth sailing. Up to 8 oz legal, bagged however; 16 or so plants legalized and 24 immature plants. Nice

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2007 05:11 pm
cyclo
What happens if a fed catches you. Took me 35 years to break my cig addiction. I've been free of it for 20 years and whenever I smell one I still want one.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2007 05:20 pm
Ah.. so good to see left and right come together.. appropriate too. Peace and love man..
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2007 05:55 pm
rabel22 wrote:
cyclo
What happens if a fed catches you. Took me 35 years to break my cig addiction. I've been free of it for 20 years and whenever I smell one I still want one.

My guess is that you go to jail if a Fed catches you. But that's exceedingly rare.

I hate the cigs, and love them.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2007 09:23 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
rabel22 wrote:
cyclo

My guess is that you go to jail if a Fed catches you. But that's exceedingly rare.

I hate the cigs, and love them.

Cycloptichorn

The problem with all the state laws that either legalize or decriminalize pot (either outright or through licensing on doctor's prescription) is that the stuff is still illegal under Federal law. No DEA narc is likely to target a recreational smoker but, technically, they could. In theory you could be brought up on Federal charges for having a nickel bag in your possession. And the downside of getting licensed to possess grass for medicinal purposes is that now your name's on a register. Feds have easy access to that information. If they're ever in the mood to make a clean sweep, you'll be among the first to be brought up on Federal charges; the fact that you broke no state laws will cut no ice whatever.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2007 01:14 am
Anybody notice the poll results at the top of the page? The consensus seems clear every time the subject comes up; so why is there no politician willing to go to bat for the will of the people?
0 Replies