Ham & Cholesterol?

Pitter

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 06:25 pm
Is ham high or low in cholesterol? There is a farm nearby where they raise their pigs organically and feed them mostly corn. Would that make any difference regarding cholesterol content?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 9,151 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2007 09:03 pm
http://www.hormel.com/templates/knowledge/knowledge.asp?catitemid=105&id=746&floater=disabled&floateralwaysdisabled=true

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/

Pork is good for fighting cholesterol. Ham is good too but the extremely high salt content makes it not so good for your blood pressure.

The above gives you info from both a producer of pork products and the government's nutrition database.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2007 10:02 pm
Although corn feeding is problematic in various ways.
I'm not inclined to look up batches of links tonight.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2007 10:29 pm
Pork is great for fighting cholesterol? Stopping eating meat is presumably better. (I still eat meat, i'm just rolling my eyes about various porks lining up to fight.)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2007 11:08 pm
There's a chart comparing the fat in pork to that in chicken, beef, etc - including elk here: MEAT. It's perhaps not the most scientific or unbiased, but it's a start. The USDA has a site where you can plug in a food stuff and they will tell you what it is made of (including all types of fats).

Ham's fat contents are midway between chicken and beef, for the most part.

It's a queastion I've been meaning to ask the internet and one I want to explore for my dad's sake.

Oh, and yeah, I had the same sort of reaction as Osso did about that comment. Pork will NOT help fight cholesterol, or whatever (sorry, it's late). It is better for you, cholesterol-wise than beef, and not as good for you as chicken. If you must continue to eat meat while you worry about cholesterol intake, eat chicken, turkey, fish, etc.
0 Replies

Pitter

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2007 08:31 am
Ok thank you for all the leads. One thing they sell a lot of here are Cordoniz eggs which supposedly have no cholesterol. I think that´s Cornish Game Hen in English.
0 Replies