The Iraqis can learn...

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 04:33 pm
...ahh...the Iraqis, our allies over in the Middle East...

....learned from the mistakes they made when they executed Saddam Hussein.

During the execution of his two chief henchmen...not a word of dirision came from the people assembled in the execution chamber.

Almost the only thing they got wrong was that they tore the head off one of the men being executed.

Progress!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 2,722 • Replies: 22
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 05:15 pm
sorry..but did theat really happen? Seriously?
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 05:23 pm
Sure did....guy got decapitated.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 05:52 pm
Man..I'm glad I don't watch ALL the news. Ggotta be the most barbaric stuff in Middle East and Iraq. How can the world go on the way it's going?

Sorry..sometimes I get so discouraged when I hear that crap.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 06:21 pm
Ragman wrote:
Man..I'm glad I don't watch ALL the news. Ggotta be the most barbaric stuff in Middle East and Iraq. How can the world go on the way it's going?

Sorry..sometimes I get so discouraged when I hear that crap.

We all do!
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 06:49 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
Almost the only thing they got wrong was that they tore the head off one of the men being executed.
That's a shame. Good there making progress though.
Frank Apisa wrote:
We all do!
No, not really.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 07:15 pm
I have been wondering, seriously, if that happening would make the experience of being hanged more awful for the victim, or not?

Would such a thing (which I gather happens when the weight of person/length of rope equation isn't worked out properly?) kill you more rapidly before it tore your head off, or would you feel that happening to you?

Before I really thought about it, I gathered that hangpeople were careful about that to avoid upsetting the masses.....but this has made me think about it in more detail than I ever wanrted to.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 09:35 pm
For what it's worth, I've heard the Guillotine is the most humane form of capital punishment. I can only assume that means fraction of time between life and death you're in shock. Worse is if the ropes to short and you have to strangle... but if they're humane they'll hang by your legs to help you out.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 09:38 pm
I can't even imagine how that could happen.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 09:44 pm
I wonder if the guy had an experience similar to the one in AN OCCURRENCE AT OWL CREEK BRIDGE?
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 09:59 pm
Twilight Zone?
Gustav: was that an episode of Twilight Zone..seems to me I recall seeing that a few times.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 10:02 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
I wonder if the guy had an experience similar to the one in AN OCCURRENCE AT OWL CREEK BRIDGE?

Exactly, Ambrose Bierce was a Sunni apologist.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 10:47 pm
It was both the short story by Bierce, a Cannes best short subject award winner as independent film, and a 1964 special episode of Twilight zone
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2007 03:50 am
quote="OCCOM BILL"]
Frank Apisa wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
We all do!
No, not really.[/quote]

I stand corrected, Bill.

What I guess I meant was…all of us who are not so committed to an ideology that we are willing to be subhuman in defense of it.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2007 03:56 am
Frank Apisa wrote:
quote="OCCOM BILL"]
Frank Apisa wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:
We all do!
No, not really.[/quote]

I stand corrected, Bill.

What I guess I meant was…all of us who are not so committed to an ideology that we are willing to be subhuman in defense of it.[/quote]

The quotes in the above are all mixed up.......this is my response to Frank's response to Bill's response to Frank.

Subhuman feels right....but probably isn't accurate.

It's all too human.

Worst of human, perhaps?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2007 04:01 am
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2007 04:02 am
dlowan wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
quote="OCCOM BILL"]
Frank Apisa wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:
We all do!
No, not really.

I stand corrected, Bill.

What I guess I meant was…all of us who are not so committed to an ideology that we are willing to be subhuman in defense of it.[/quote]

The quotes in the above are all mixed up.......this is my response to Frank's response to Bill's response to Frank.

Subhuman feels right....but probably isn't accurate.

It's all too human.

Worst of human, perhaps?[/quote]

I know what you mean. Sad. Very sad!
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2007 04:48 pm
Subhuman? Because I'll shed no tears over the extermination of a mass murderer? Then I guess I qualify.<shrugs>
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2007 05:23 pm
Decapitating the prisoner that you want to hang is not unheard of, but an experienced executioner will take measures to avoid it. If the idea is to break the prisoner's neck rather than just strangle him, then the prisoner has to drop between 4 to 8 feet before the rope snaps taught. In order to calculate the precise length of the drop, an executioner will use a drop table.

If the drop is too short, there won't be sufficient force to break the prisoner's neck, and he'll just dangle there until he suffocates. Too long of a drop, however, and the force might be enough to pop the prisoner's head like a Pez dispenser. The Iraqis may still be unfamiliar with the mechanics of the whole thing, as it seems that folks in the Middle East much prefer the slow strangle method rather than the neck-breaking method of hanging. Presumably, with lots of Saddam's relatives left, there will be ample opportunity for the Iraqi executioners to perfect their technique.

For more information on how you too can hang someone, click here.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2007 07:47 am
Bush on the hanging of saddam.

"looked like kind of a revenge killing"
0 Replies