Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 10:11 am
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 894 • Replies: 19
No top replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 10:15 am
I saw that live on tv...good stuff. He was all fired up reading it.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 10:18 am
One thing I believe.... he would send Laura before he went himself....
0 Replies

Zippo

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 10:38 am
If we want to 'win' in Iraq, we have to "seek out and destroy" Iran and Syria first ... Laughing

Quote:
By Patrick J. Buchanan

Midway through his speech, almost as an aside, Bush made a pointed accusation at and issued a direct threat to – Tehran.

To defend the "territorial integrity" of Iraq and stabilize "the region in the face of extremist challenge," Bush interjected, "begins with addressing Iran and Syria."

"These two regimes are allowing terrorists and insurgents to use their territory to move in and out of Iraq. Iran is providing material support for attacks on American troops. We will disrupt the attacks on our forces. We will interrupt the flow of support from Iran and Syria. And we will seek out and destroy the networks providing advanced weaponry and training to our enemies in Iraq."

Now, any networks providing "advanced weaponry and training" to jihadists and insurgents are outside Iraq. Otherwise, they would have been neutralized by air strikes already.

So, where are they? Answer: inside Syria and Iran. And Bush says we are going to "seek out and destroy" these networks.

Which suggests to this writer that, while the "surge" is modest, Bush has in mind a different kind of escalation – widening the war by attacking the source of instability in the region: Tehran...

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/printer-friendly.asp?ARTICLE_ID=53736
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 10:39 am
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:

Was there foam forming at the corners of his mouth?
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 06:21 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:

Was there foam forming at the corners of his mouth?

Pretty much.....you could tell he was legitimately pissed.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 06:36 pm
Olberman isn't "Legitimately" anything other than an entertainer - same coin different side as, for instance, O'Reilly.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 06:46 pm
timberlandko wrote:
Olberman isn't "Legitimately" anything other than an entertainer - same coin different side as, for instance, O'Reilly.

Even an entertainer can make valid points...and Olbermann made a dozen or so in this essay.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 07:11 pm
In essense, Olberman is right. Just a bit shrill making points sometimes.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 07:22 pm
I'll admit he has theatric obnoxiousness. I used to watch him as a sportscaster, early on.

On the other hand, I often agree with him.

I won't parse out this last example, but I probably agree with most of it.

I'm genuinely sorry there is not more hue and cry for more nuanced discourse - it should be much more prevalent on our tvs.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 08:33 pm
ossobuco wrote:
I'm genuinely sorry there is not more hue and cry for more nuanced discourse - it should be much more prevalent on our tvs.
No problem - only 2 things are needed: media-savvy folks capable of nuanced discourse, and an audience large enough and willing enough to pay for that discourse.

Just let us know when you get that together - it'll be a snap from there on out.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 08:43 pm
I agree, Timber.

Also think more circus generates more crowds, near oblivious to nuance from whatever direction.

Not to mention short time periods for discussion.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 08:43 pm
P.J. O'Rourke would be a good start for the conservative line. Standing in one of Sadaam's palaces in Baghdad, he decides, "If a reason for invading Iraq was needed, felony interior decorating would have sufficed."
Undaunted, P.J. holds forth on everything from getting kids to sleep to why Hillary Clinton's election was a good thing ("We Republicans were almost out of people to hate in the Senate").
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 08:49 pm
Audience could build, probably starting in smaller but not too small markets.
Hard to envision right now.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 09:07 pm
ossobuco wrote:
I won't parse out this last example, but I probably agree with most of it.

Interestingly enough, I agree with hardly any of it.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 09:16 pm
dyslexia wrote:
P.J. O'Rourke would be a good start for the conservative line. Standing in one of Sadaam's palaces in Baghdad, he decides, "If a reason for invading Iraq was needed, felony interior decorating would have sufficed."

Hehheh, thats actually kinda funny..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 09:18 pm
I know we disagree, Tico.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 14 Jan, 2007 10:19 pm
Ticomaya wrote:

Interestingly enough, I agree with hardly any of it.

You do have an uncanny aversion to the truth.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 12:36 am
timberlandko wrote:
ossobuco wrote:
No problem - only 2 things are needed: media-savvy folks capable of nuanced discourse, and an audience large enough and willing enough to pay for that discourse.

Just let us know when you get that together - it'll be a snap from there on out.
Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 04:24 pm
timberlandko wrote:

Nah, timber, that's not really a correct correspondence.

On cable tv, Olberman comes as close as anyone else I can think of to duplicating the partisan single-mindedness of an O'Reilly or a Fox channel. In that simple sense, you are probably right. (And if one could imagine an entire network filled with Olbermans, you'd have something of a rough correspondence to Fox).

But the differences are at least as important as the similarity. For one, the differences in interview style. For another, the quality of interviewees. And third, though you might not agree, care for truth and accuracy. On this last, the recent comments from Tucker Carlson and Joe Scarborough re O'Reilly's claims about them (as MSNBC staff) point up how inattentive O'Reilly is to the facts.
0 Replies