Breastfeeding

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 02:38 pm
I didn't want to hijack heatwaves thread so....here are the answers:

Quote:
Wow. Lots of different things to address there.

First, if you can, breastfeeding REALLY isn't a waste of time. If you choose NOT to breastfeed, that is a hassle in and of itself, because your breasts will have the milk no matter what and will be painful and engorged, and that has to be dealt with. And then there are benefits up the wazoo, which I already extolled earlier in this thread.

---Totally get the benefits. I do want to breastfeed but honestly I am terrified of it. For reasons like pain, time, and stopping.

Quote:

For weaning as a process, it varies a great deal, but the impression I have is that it's actually easier in some ways when the baby is smaller -- unpleasant to be sure, but with less extra issues. I don't have any experience with early weaning so don't quote me on that.

---Whew. Well if that's the case, I wonder how long and how painful the process will be? Being a first timer here with everything, will the benefits outweigh?

Quote:

You can still breastfeed while you're working, lots of ways to get around that. Main way is to do both -- it's not all or nothing. Your breasts produce as much milk as is needed, so if you only breastfeed when you're home, that will be fine. Then you can either express breastmilk (not horrible, and very common now in the workplace) while you work, or your baby can have other sustenance while you work.

----So it's possible to start breastfeeding every 2-3 hours and then take it down to say 2-3 times a day? That would be realistic for me. I know the challenges of being a first time mom and on top of that I have the challenges of my job and added on to that I don't need the challenges of being the primary food-supplier. Maybe I can handle it, maybe I can't. Maybe I just don't want to fail.

Quote:

One other thing I'd put in there is actually the same general category as what I was saying to _Heatwave_ -- do you have a plan B? I cannot tell you how many people I have met in real life and have seen on parenting forums who had every intention of going back to work after a certain period of time and just couldn't. Mother-baby bonding is some serious mojo. Not at ALL saying that this will definitely happen to you -- it's far from 100%. Just, I've seen it happen really often, and the people who are happiest are the ones who were able to make some sort of allowance for that ahead of time.

--I fully intend on going back. 1) because my job is important to me. I am one of those "independent working women" and think that without a job I would lose my identity. Of course, my identity is drastically about to change in a few months isn't it? Laughing 2) I like and my husband likes the financial security we have with both of us working. We could make it on his paycheck but it wouldn't be the lifestyle we'd want for ourselves or our child. Of course, having mommy at home full time is also a desirable lifestyle choice. But honestly, working outside the home is the better option for me.

You could be right, however and I haven't made one single plan for it.

Just that if we (my husband and I both would have to be on board 100%) chose for me to stay home that I know we would just make it work. Period.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 844 • Replies: 6
No top replies

JPB

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 02:44 pm
Re: Breastfeeding
Bella Dea wrote:

--I fully intend on going back. 1) because my job is important to me. I am one of those "independent working women" and think that without a job I would lose my identity. Of course, my identity is drastically about to change in a few months isn't it? Laughing 2) I like and my husband likes the financial security we have with both of us working. We could make it on his paycheck but it wouldn't be the lifestyle we'd want for ourselves or our child. Of course, having mommy at home full time is also a desirable lifestyle choice. But honestly, working outside the home is the better option for me.

You could be right, however and I haven't made one single plan for it.

Just that if we (my husband and I both would have to be on board 100%) chose for me to stay home that I know we would just make it work. Period.

I said and did exactly the same thing, Bella. I went back because it made the most sense. I left six months later because that made the most sense. Whatever you decide doesn't have to be permanent. You get to go with the flow and make the best choices as they present themselves.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 02:55 pm
That's cool.

I won't really use myself as an example since I always planned to be a stay-at-home mom, but I was definitely the independent working woman and once the baby arrived I couldn't imagine working outside the home (I did continue with home based consulting and freelance work for a while to help with the transition, though). I started on forums virtually at the same time as sozlet was born, and sometimes it still brings me up short when someone says something about me being maternal, or something -- WHAT? I'm boss lady, high-flying professional woman, ME. Up until 6 years ago, that stay-at-home mom stuff was just totally at odds with who I was.

At any rate, while that's my experience, my comments are are much more based on what I've observed -- other people IRL or whose stories I've read on forums.

On to other stuff:

I know that breastfeeding does hurt for some people so I won't make any blanket statements. But for me it was by far the easiest part of having a baby. Baby's upset? Whip out the boob. We're both tired and cranky? Whip out the boob. Baby's bored? Whip out the boob. Baby's sick? Whip out the boob. It solved so many problems so efficiently, and was such a nice respite. And that's not even going into all of the indirect benefits -- baby being sick far less than she would otherwise, etc. I'm sure you know the stuff about the process releasing euphoria hormones (hormones? something), so even if you're cranky when you start you are feeling so much better and more able to deal with things by the time you finish. And that's not going into the bonding, how the baby that was driving you insane five minutes ago suddenly becomes the sweetest, most beautiful creature on the face of the earth. For me, I can't imagine how much harder that first year or so would've been without breastfeeding.

So I really think that the benefits of breastfeeding as much as you are comfortable with outweigh... pretty much everything. If you're uncomfortable -- because I know that does happen -- that's a different story.

You should be able to take breastfeeding down to 2-3 times a day, yes. Easier if you pump for the intermediate ones (pump breastmilk, store, caretaker serves to baby the next day while you pump, etc.) but I think that you can just keep reducing to whatever works. That's what happened when we did wean, anyway. Went from very often to less often to less often yet -- by the end it was just a nip here and there. I remember she went for a week without and then when she tried again, there was still some milk (if not much). La Leche League is a good resource there.

www.lalecheleague.org

I know this stuff is scary, though. The more you learn, the more managable it seems (at least that's how it worked for me).
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 03:31 pm
Bella--

Not to worry. I breast fed in the early sixties when breast feeding was just coming back into fashion. My biggest problem was my first mother-in-law having hissy fits that she couldn't give her grandsons bottles.

Breast feeding is easy--particularly when the Little Bundle of Joy isn't sleeping through the night yet.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 03:46 pm
Quote:
Maybe I just don't want to fail.

Laughing Get over that. You're gonna fail. As a matter of fact, you're gonna fail alot.

You're gonna fail when you are too tired to play another game of pattie cake.

You'r gonna fail when you forget to pick up pretzels for her class party.

You're gonna fail when you raise your voice to say "NO! You are NOT going to pierce any such such thing and Don't ask why, It's just because I said so!"

You're gonna fail.

Much easier to not worry about that part and just focus on the fact that you are doing your best no matter what you decide.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 03:53 pm
That should be given to expectant mothers everywhere.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 07:22 pm
Print that out and frame it, squinney!
0 Replies