How can a person know if they're good-looking or not?

ll333

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 05:35 am
How can a person know if they're good-looking or not? What's the difference between "okay-looking" and "good-looking?" For example- one girl I will call A asked her friend, "How's my face like?" and he answered, "It's okay." Then another time A was talking to the daughter of her mother's friend. Her mother's friend boasted, "My friends are jealous of me because I'm both pretty and smart." A asked her, "Am I pretty?" and she answered, "You're okay." Another time a girl told A her figure is "not ugly. Not too pretty. Just close to average." A asked her cousin, "How's my eyes and mouth like?" and she answered, "It's okay."

Why do some people tell A she looks like a doll, really pretty, and so beautiful while others tell her she's not that pretty? (another person told her after seeing her picture online- "You're in the middle. Not beautiful. Not ugly) Her friend told her when she was 17, "You're cute. But not gorgeous." How can A know if she's really good-looking or not- as a fact rather than an opinion?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,306 • Replies: 14
No top replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 05:48 am
there is an old adage which goes....

beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Another is, one mans meat is another mans poison.

another, beauty is only skin deep.

Try not to focus too much on physical appearance. Inteligence (which is not just how much you know), confidence and empathy are far more important traits.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 05:48 am
Well, for starters, beauty really is in the eye of the beholder. Opinions will vary. If you really want to face the jury; you could Face the Jury<-Click there.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 05:49 am
I do not think you will ever know as a fact. It is always someone's opinion on whether another person is pretty, cute, okay etc. Personally, and it may sound old, but I really believe that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 05:51 am
I swear I am always late. I still agree with what they ^ (above) said.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 05:52 am
Another way to get feedback would be to change Avatars often...
Looking good TTH.
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 07:17 am
Have you not figured out, yet, that beauty is always in the eyes of the beholder?

Another thing: If somebody comes up to me and asks me what I thought about their looks, I would be much more inclined to say: It's OK! than if it was me bringing up the subject.

I met a woman, yesterday who I had not seen for many many years.
Quite spontaneously I had to tell her that I thought she looked fabulous.
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 07:18 am
OK, I just realised I was the mpfth person to say it!
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 07:24 am
I can generally tell how attractive a woman finds me by the duration of the time she spends throwing up.

If she vomits for longer than 10 minutes I generally will concede that she finds me unattractive.

However, if the vomiting is short-lived AND she gives me some eye contact without vomiting again.... that's when I realize I have about a 2% chance of getting laid.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 07:25 am
It's also in how YOU feel about yourself. That will bleed over into how you carry yourself, conduct yourself, dress yourself, groom yourself and your attitude towards others.

I know this is a cliche but the way you interact with others , your inside beauty if you will, makes you more or less attractive.

We all know people who have, if we think about it, grown more attractive with time. Conversely we all know people who, if analyzed mechanically have the toolbox to be considered good looking but fail in that because they themselves are ugly people.

Having said all that, I'm a damn good looking Man/Bear. Everybody knows it. :wink:
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 07:26 am
As a general rule, anyone who goes around asking if they are good looking will produce a certain amount of gag factor. That is ugly.

Besides, let's face it, unless you have a ferret living in your face: someone will think you are hot.

And if you have a ferret growing out of your face, beware of Gus knocking on your door.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 07:50 am
Ok so you are all right except that there is a universal standard of beauty. And that is symmetry.

A symmetrical face is always viewed as more attractive then an asymmetrical face.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 08:02 am
There was a guy I knew at work who wasn't happy with the way he looked so he went to a plastic surgeon. He couldn't decide who he wanted to look like.

The plastic surgeon asked "Is their a particular celebrity you would like to resemble?"

The guy thought about it for a bit and said, "I've always found Karl Malden to be a good-looking man as well as Sonny Bono. Might I have a composite face of those two?"

The plastic surgeon, who I know personally, and who does fantastic work, assured this guy that he could perform such magic and, sure enough, the guy is now walking around town and the ladies are on him like flies on ****....

http://happytedium.com/images/scaled/ugly_man.jpg
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 08:04 am
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Another way to get feedback would be to change Avatars often...
Looking good TTH.

Thank you OCCUM BILL
I change my avatar for the same reasons I change my clothes. Otherwise I get bored easily and get tired of seeing the same picture. I still agree with what everyone has said (eye of the beholder). Looks will fade but inner beauty will stay (hopefully). Gus, on the other hand is a total different story. You know I wuv you Gus.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 08:05 am
Good one Gus. Laughing Laughing
0 Replies