U.S. Forces Raid Iranian Consulate in Iraq, Detain 5

Reply Thu 11 Jan, 2007 06:46 pm
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601103&sid=a90DLQrWr.YY&refer=us

Quote:
U.S. Forces Raid Iranian Consulate in Iraq, Detain 5 (Update2)

By Marc Wolfensberger and Robin Stringer

Jan. 11 (Bloomberg) -- U.S. forces in Iraq raided Iran's consulate in the northern city of Arbil and detained five staff members, a state-run Iranian news service said.

The U.S. soldiers disarmed guards and broke open the consulate's gate before seizing documents and computers during the operation, which took place today at about 5 a.m. local time, the Islamic Republic News Agency said. There was no immediate information on whether any of those detained are diplomats.

The raid follows a warning yesterday to Iran and Syria from President George W. Bush in his address to the American people on a new strategy for Iraq. Bush accused Iran and Syria of aiding the movement of ``terrorists and insurgents'' in and out of Iraq and said the U.S. will ``seek out and destroy the networks providing advanced weaponry and training to our enemies.''

Coalition forces arrested six people during ``routine security operations'' in the Arbil area, the U.S. military said in an e-mailed statement. The military didn't confirm that the consulate was raided and didn't say whether any of those detained were Iranians.

The operation was ``part of an ongoing effort by coalition forces targeting individuals involved in activities aimed at the killing of Iraqi citizens and coalition forces,'' the military said.

Iranian Protests

The Iranian Embassy in Baghdad sent a letter of protest to the Foreign Ministry, calling for the Iraqi government to secure the release of the detainees, IRNA said.

U.S. forces detained two Iranian diplomats in Baghdad in December. The men, suspected of weapons smuggling, were later released to Iranian officials in the capital.

Deputy White House Press Secretary Scott Stanzel said on Dec. 26 those detainees had diplomatic status, and an investigation would be completed before ``characterizing their activities.''

Bush's approach to Iran and Syria ignores a key recommendation of the bipartisan Iraq Study Group -- diplomatic engagement with Iran and Syria to help end the conflict. He announced plans yesterday to send 21,500 more U.S. soldiers and Marines to Iraq.

Aren't consulates considered as if they were "soil"? By invading the Iranian consulate, are we in effect invading Iran?

Is this the real reason for the escalation, to provoke a response from Iran so we can go pound their nuclear plans into sand?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 881 • Replies: 14
No top replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 08:06 am
Or to gather evidence that Iran is helping to fund the Shia insurgency.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 08:21 am
Re: U.S. Forces Raid Iranian Consulate in Iraq, Detain 5
Butrflynet wrote:
Aren't consulates considered as if they were "soil"? By invading the Iranian consulate, are we in effect invading Iran?

No. Consolates don't have "diplomatic" status.

wikipedia:
Quote:
Immunities and privileges for consuls and accredited staff of consulates under the relevant international conventions are generally limited to actions undertaken in their official capacity and, with respect to the consulate itself, to those required for official duties.

Vienna Convention on Consular Relations
Quote:
Article 31
Inviolability of the consular premises
1.Consular premises shall be inviolable to the extent provided in this article.
2.The authorities of the receiving State shall not enter that part of the consular premises which is
used exclusively for the purpose of the work of the consular post except with the consent of the head of
the consular post or of his designee or of the head of the diplomatic mission of the sending State. The
consent of the head of the consular post may, however, be assumed in case of fire or other disaster
requiring prompt protective action.
3.Subject to the provisions of paragraph 2 of this article, the receiving State is under a special
duty to take all appropriate steps to protect the consular premises against any intrusion or damage and to
prevent any disturbance of the peace of the consular post or impairment of its dignity.
4.The consular premises, their furnishings, the property of the consular post and its means of
transport shall be immune from any form of requisition for purposes of national defence or public utility.
If expropriation is necessary for such purposes, all possible steps shall be taken to avoid impeding the
performance of consular functions, and prompt, adequate and effective compensation shall be paid to the
sending State.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 08:28 am
McGentrix wrote:
Or to gather evidence that Iran is helping to fund the Shia insurgency.

The Shiites are the government so they can't really be called an insurgency since insurgencies are generally a militant rebellious group in opposition of the government. There are some Shiite militias which may be (probably are) funded by the Iranians.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 11:42 pm
Quote:
2.The authorities of the receiving State shall not enter that part of the consular premises which is
used exclusively for the purpose of the work of the consular post except with the consent of the head of
the consular post or of his designee or of the head of the diplomatic mission of the sending State.

I assume they searched, therefore entered, the part of of consulate used for the work of the consulate. As opposed, I suppose, to the consulate bar where the consuls meet foreign representatives while throwing down a few.

It would seem to violate the Vienna Convention, at least as I read the quoted part.

Then there is the small matter of the fact the US is not the government of Iraq officially. Even if the "receiving country", (Iraq), can enter, does it have the right to deputize the forces of another country to enter?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 07:18 am
Walter, you state at first that consulates don't have diplomatic status.

Then you post the conventions that appears to say

1) The are "inviolable" (yes it is qualified, but the word inviolable is pretty strong.

2) The authorities (I think in this case it means the Iraqis) shall not enter the important parts of the consulate without consent.

3) The State (meaning Iraq?) should take "all appropriate steps" to protect the consulate (I think that means from us).

4) The furnishing are immune from any form of requisition.

It seems to me that international law provides quite a bit of protection for consulates. It also seems that we violated the spirit of this law.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 09:20 am
I am surprised that the US raided a consulate in a Kurdish city. For one I didn't know the Kurds and Iran had any ties. For another I thought the Kurds were our friends. Apparently they are not happy about it nor did they give any permission for the US to raid the consulate.

Quote:
The consulate raid, meanwhile, seems to have alienated some of America's best friends. Members of the Kurdistan Regional Government maintain that the Americans did not contact them about this operation beforehand, and Kurdish leaders protested the raid. Iraqi Foreign Minister Hoshyar Zebari, who is of Kurdish heritage, said on the Al-Arabiyah satellite television channel, "What happened ... was very annoying because there has been an Iranian liaison office there for years and it provides services to the citizens."

The U.S. definitely failed to coordinate the raid with Kurdish security forces. When American troops went to the airport, the Kurdish peshmerga who were guarding it, alarmed at the approach of unauthorized foreign troops, came very close to firing on them. Whether or not the raid was intended to provoke Iran, it almost turned into yet another Bush gambit with unforeseen, disastrous consequences. The fallout from a big firefight between U.S. soldiers and the Kurdistan paramilitary could have been serious, since Kurds are among the few strongly pro-American populations left in Iraq.

source
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 12:29 pm
The U.S. is saying that the building was not a consulate. The Iraqi Foreign minister, the Kurds and Iran are saying they had received official sanction from the Iraqis and the workers were in the process of converting the building into a embassy consulate.

So, I guess we're in no-man's land and inventing new laws for that rousting and detention of workers.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 09:01 pm
Didn't we see a firestorm erupt this summer over something similar re: Israel, Lebanon and 2 Israelis?

Is Iran going to react?
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 09:22 pm
Didn't those rules say something about permission? I'm sure we tortured that out of them, along with a few dozen innocent bystanders, on our way to eat some babies, all for the sole purpose of destroying mankind as we know it...
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 09:26 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Didn't those rules say something about permission? I'm sure we tortured that out of them, along with a few dozen innocent bystanders, on our way to eat some babies, all for the sole purpose of destroying mankind as we know it...

O'Bill did you kidnap Gus?
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 09:27 pm
No, I'm infected with the ratzenhofer virus...
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 09:31 pm
Perhaps it was transmitted through a butrfly?

I think I'm seeing things....his avatar is all over the place.
I may need to ttalk to BPB about the long term effects of drug use.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 09:32 pm
Wierd.
The cheesehead is back.

I need some sleep.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 09:32 pm
It's an ugly thing... it comes and goes.
0 Replies