non-binding resolution

georgeob1

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 03:33 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Though I have been criticized for 'never having anything good to say about Bush,' I thought his speech last night was not bad. I disagree with the conclusions that he has come to but his speech laid out the thought processes much clearer than past ones and he delivered it competently if a little flat. Even as someone who opposes his policies, I found the arguments presented to be somewhat compelling in that they represent a far greater acceptance of reality than past speeches by the Prez have. This is a hopeful sign that decisions made from here on out may be more reality-based than ones in the past, which seemed to be more ideologically-based and full of words like 'freedom' and 'hope.'

I am willing to give Petraeus (I know that you righties love his Roman-sounding name) a shot at this counter-strategy before I start ramping up my withdrawl rhetoric. But I don't expect any sort of success, as the counter-insurgency doctorine he calls for specifically asks for more troops than they are going to get, and I have zero trust in the Iraqi army when it comes to going after Shiite militias.

Cycloptichorn

Reasonable criticisms. (Though Petrtaeus' name sounds a bit more Greek than Italian - and I am not an admirer of Greece or its politics,.)

In fact the Democrats have ample access to the military leaders in the Defense Department - certainly enough to outline a coherent, self-consistent strategy for the effort. I think that if you applied the same or even similar standards to the "strategic" statements of Joe Beiden, John Kerry, Nancy pelosi or her compatriot in the Senate - Reed, that you applied to Bush's announcements and speeches, you will find many defects, omissions and errors in theirs as well. Moreover the responsible official knows that he/she will be held to account for words spoken and actions taken, if in no other way, by the unfolding events and results. The critics face no such test - few even remember what they say, and in the rare event someone digs it up they can always pull a Kerry and say thingsd like "... well I actually voted for it before I voted against it...".

While I think there were many errors in the Bush strategy, I think that very few of the criticisms were specific enough to be useful, or even touched on what actually was wrong. Moreover none of the recommendations I have yet heard from Democrats seems at all trealistic, even forgetting their often vague nature. "Negotiate with Iran & Syria" from Joe Biden; or " establish a timetable for withdrawl to make the Iraqis take over" from the others; doesn't sound like a strategy to me.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sun 14 Jan, 2007 08:56 am
May I remind all of you of something?

Article 2,Section 2 of the Constitution says...
Quote:
The President shall be Commander in Chief of the Army and Navy of the United States, and of the Militia of the several States, when called into the actual Service of the United States

So,he alone has any say over how or where the military is used.
NOTHING the dems can do will change that,and as much as they oppose the war and even though they have no faith in the military,they have no say in how this war is fought or in how military decisions are made.

If they want to change that,they have two choices.
They can amend the constitution,or they can win the Presidency.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 14 Jan, 2007 09:14 am
mysteryman wrote:
..If they want to change that,they have two choices.
They can amend the constitution,or they can win the Presidency.

The posts on A2K are proof that the idea of taking an election defeat with a bit of grace is not in their vocabulary. When they lose they want to impeach, sue, or kill the winning candidate. Not only are they not a loyal opposition to candidates with whom they disagree, they aren't even loyal to the idea of one man one vote. They wish to continue a failed election by any means that will work.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 14 Jan, 2007 09:35 am
If we withdraw, there will be a blood bath. As opposed to the blood bath there is now.
0 Replies