Swimpy's Landscaping Thread

ossobuco

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2007 02:30 am
In the meantime, we haven't heard from Green Witch, no slouch herself.
I will always listen to her because of her smart choices. Well, I'll always listen to her period. Perhaps more than I'd listen to myself.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2007 02:43 am
Osso, I need to take it from here. I am bummed out (hey man so people stil say that?) that I let it get this far. I had qualms, but until he gave me a plan, I really didn't know what he was thinking. The more I look at that plan and listen to your comments, the more questions I have.

For example, the patio is going where there is an existing tree that will stay. How does he propose to do all the cutting an filling needed to install the patio and retaining walls without damaging that tree? We had talked about using a porous paving surface, which would allow storm water to penetrate between the flagstones into a sand sink of sorts. How's he going to do that without damaging the tree.

Not to mention all of the grading that has to take place around other existing plantings. He hasn't thought this through at all.

Anyway, don't you worry. I will get this straightened out eventually. It's time for me to go to bed. Thanks again for your insight.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2007 02:53 am
It's late, I'm done. Flip!
Too much noise from me.
Meantime, you listening to yourself, I'm all for.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 04:45 pm
I spoke to my former boss at the engineering firm. He suggested that I ask the landscaper to let them review the plan. He said that would be an inexpensive way to ensure that the site is properly graded. I feel a little better now.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 04:46 pm
Yay former boss!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 04:50 pm
Good!
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 06:33 pm
This has been so frustrating. I am putting this project on indefinite hold. He just gave me his price. It's at least $8K more than I told him I wanted to spend. He also did not give me satisfactory answers to my questions about the grading and protecting my existing plants. That's it. I've had it.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 06:48 pm
Aw, sorry 'bout that.

Good for you about not just going along with it though.

You'll get your gorgeous yard.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 07:12 pm
Swimpy wrote:
This has been so frustrating. I am putting this project on indefinite hold. He just gave me his price. It's at least $8K more than I told him I wanted to spend. He also did not give me satisfactory answers to my questions about the grading and protecting my existing plants. That's it. I've had it.

Thats fair enough. You gave him a go and are not comfortable. You have done the right thing.

Given that he has produced a quote that is 8 grand more than you asked for do you really need to pay for the plan?
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 09:03 pm
Good question. He didn't ask for any money. He didn't expend much effor on the plan he gave me. I expect he will pare down the plan and try me again. There's a chance we can still do business, I suppose.

Thing is, he knew what my budget was all along.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2008 06:25 pm
OK, it's a year later. Today I had a tree service cut down all the arbor vitae in the yard and trim up the red maple. The backyard looks so much brighter and open. I fee like I can breathe again. I've been removing the dead shrubs from the back bank myself. It hasn't been too bad. I feel like if I can clear away the bad stuff maybe a vision will come to me of where to go next.

I have before and after pictures. Will post as soon as possible.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2008 06:52 pm
Before :

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e383/swimpy12/Landscape/DSC00629.jpg

After:

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e383/swimpy12/Landscape/DSC00631.jpg
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2008 06:54 pm
Before:

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e383/swimpy12/Landscape/DSC00624.jpg

After:

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e383/swimpy12/Landscape/DSC00634.jpg
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2008 06:57 pm
Before:

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e383/swimpy12/Landscape/DSC00625.jpg

After:

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e383/swimpy12/Landscape/DSC00632.jpg
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2008 06:58 pm
Those last two were take from opposite directions.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2008 07:03 pm
Got it. And, good...
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2008 07:09 pm
More space! And now what? Weren't you going to make a raised bed and add some fencing between you and your neighbors?
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2008 07:59 pm
Oh, I love before and after pictures. It looks so much better now,
Swimpy, it really does. I just hope you have good relations with your
neighbors Wink
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 06:54 am
Yup, littlek. The raised bed (huegelbette) is just behind me in the backyard photo. The fence is next, but I have to save some money first.

CJ, good fences make good neighbors :wink:
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 07:42 am
Whoa, big difference!

The trees do seem to have been overpowering for their location.
0 Replies