Swimpy's Landscaping Thread

ehBeth

Reply Sun 17 May, 2009 05:35 pm
@ehBeth,
this is handy for just about any gardener in North America interested in plant/seed exchanges

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/exchind/
Swimpy

Reply Mon 18 May, 2009 12:05 pm
@ehBeth,
Thanks for going to all that trouble, Beth. None of the exchanges are very close to where I am, but I'll keep the links for future reference. I was overwhelmed yesterday when I thought about all the work that this yard needs. In addition, hubby hurt his back pruning the Japanese maple in the back, so he's not available to help me for a while. I need to focus (focus, focus) on replacing the boxwoods and adding about six interesting plants to the hosta beds, three on each side. I can do that (I can.)

I'm going to get the veggie garden planted this afternoon (I will!) as soon as the rain stops. (THAT was not in the forecast!) Then I can focus (focus, focus) on the front.

(I sound like a crazy woman, don't I?)
sozobe

Reply Mon 18 May, 2009 12:34 pm
@Swimpy,
No, you sound like a sane woman who has a challenging yard.

I relate. Oh, do I relate. (I put in enormous amounts of work on my accursed back slope a few weeks ago -- wouldn't know it to look at it now. More enormous amounts required, stat. Sigh.)
Swimpy

Reply Mon 18 May, 2009 01:38 pm
@sozobe,
You can do it, Soz. (Said for my benefit as well.) I really want the yard to come together. We are having a family reunion to celebrate my mother's 100th birthday in June. Not at my house, but still people will be over to visit. I'll just do what I can to make it presentable.

One small triumph! I got the tomatoes, peppers and some kinds of unidentified cabbage type plants in! Taking a small break before planting lettuce and spinach seeds.
Swimpy

Reply Tue 19 May, 2009 06:26 pm
@Swimpy,
I was out for a walk tonight and saw some dwarf hydrangeas planted at the nunnery. Now I have to have them! I'm on a mission.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 19 May, 2009 07:15 pm
@Swimpy,
Smiles...

so, how were they planted that they succeeded this well..
ossobuco

Reply Tue 19 May, 2009 07:15 pm
@ossobuco,
let me guess as a swath...

I'm a big swath fan.

Check out where they are re the sun, and overheads.
Swimpy

Reply Wed 20 May, 2009 10:19 am
@ossobuco,
They were just planted along the road, not in any particular fashion. I just liked their size. Small round and compact. They were the white ones. what excited me the most is that they probably were purchased locally. Now my challenge ( should I choose to accept it) is to find them. I have a good notion that they were gotten from one of the local nurseries, not a garden center.

What would constitute a swath, btw?
0 Replies

adamserisier

Reply Sat 3 Oct, 2015 05:12 am
@Swimpy,
Glad to see you here! There are lots of landscaper in Iowa. I suggest you to prefer some popular local listing websites like, yelp, yellowpages etc. and call them.
Ragman

Reply Sat 3 Oct, 2015 06:01 am
@adamserisier,
The OP most likely will never benefit from your post as not been active here in years. You might want to check the date-stamp of posts in the future. Swimpy has last posted a year ago but the thread was last posted to 6 yrs ago.
0 Replies

Buzzbea

Reply Sun 28 May, 2017 02:19 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe, it may be years too late, but for your super shady back yard have you put in some hellebores? I have found them to be amazing! They are very forgiving in terms of soil and water conditions as well.
0 Replies