Kicked off the bus. The crime?

Baldimo

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 02:29 pm
Speaking english on the bus can get you kicked off of it.

Imagine sending your kids off to school, but when they get to the bus they are told they can't get on because they speak English.
That's right, English.
It happened to a few children in St. Paul and now the school district is apologizing.
Rachel Armstrong sent her kids to pick up the bus as usual Monday, but after the driver let the kids on, he told them he would not pick them up again. He even said he wouldn't take them home that afternoon.
Armstrong left work early Tuesday, forced to pick up her kids from Phalen Lake Elementary School.
Her twin girls, 10, and her son, 8, were kicked off their regular school bus. They were told by the bus driver the route is for non-English speaking students only.
"I was furious. I was at work and I was just mad." Armstrong said. "I felt like we were being discriminated because we speak English. Just because they speak English, they can't ride the school bus. I mean, this is America, right?"
Administrators at St. Paul Public Schools admit the district made a mistake when it stranded the kids at school Monday.
However, the district points out, that particular bus route serves one of three language academies. The one at Phalen Lake is for Hmong students learning English.
The academies all have separate bus routes to keep its students together.
The district decided to enforce the separate routes beginning Monday, but it did not tell the Armstrong family.
"It is our responsibility to ensure the safety of these kids and we made a mistake. The kids should have gotten home that day," Dayna Kennedy, a public relations representative said.
The district also discovered the Armstrongs no longer live in the Phalen Lake School boundary because they moved last year.
So even though the district apologized, if they want to still go to Phalen, they are going to have to get their own ride.

Source
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,811 • Replies: 37
No top replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 02:37 pm
I just heard about this on the news.
Isn't this discrimination?
What's next, paying for your pizza in pesos? Oops, that's already being done.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 02:39 pm
Another thing, how come the driver can get by with speaking English?
This is rediculous.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 02:41 pm
So, you're wringing your hands over someone who's not supposed to be riding the bus in the first place?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 02:43 pm
Ya'll are buying this sensationalized crap?
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 02:46 pm
Eeek! The school district made a mistake in not informing the family of the change. Now let's all get our knickers in a twist and try to make a mountain out of a molehill because it seems to suit a particular political agenda.

Oops, looks like that's already being done...
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 02:52 pm
I can hardly wait for the English speaking only busses, Yaaaaay.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 02:57 pm
damn strait, i say we kick all the foreigners out

america back to the americans

i'm sure the indians would like their country back
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 03:05 pm
How stupid is this sh*t.

The school district forgets to inform the parents about the bus route changes, the driver overreacts, the parents get understandably pissed, the school district apologizes and that's it.

No need to turn this into some giant story about how english-speakers are discriminated against, because it really has nothing to do with that at all.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 03:09 pm
that's too simple for some people

it's the truth, but it's too simple
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 03:16 pm
We are all reading into a short sensationalized story... the writer was obviously trying to make this episode mean something, and the facts aren't there.

But I have to say I agree with the basic point that I think LoneStarMadam and Baldimo are trying to make.

Assuming that this bus was taking these Hmong kids (there are quite a few Hmong families who came here legally as refugees and I assume this is a program for them) to the same place that these Anglo kids were suppose to go, then they should be allowed to use this bus.

Letting Hmong refugees interact with Anglo kids is what multiculturalism is all about and would be a good experience for both groups of kids. It is hard for kids who are allowed to mingle with other cultures to nurture prejudice later in life. These kids may even learn a bit of the Hmong language.

Of course we are all reading a lot into this story. But I have never supported segregation and were I in this situation I would be very upset if my kids had to miss a great opportunity for cultural enrichment.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 03:17 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
How stupid is this sh*t.

The school district forgets to inform the parents about the bus route changes, the driver overreacts, the parents get understandably pissed, the school district apologizes and that's it.

No need to turn this into some giant story about how english-speakers are discriminated against, because it really has nothing to do with that at all.

Cycloptichorn

Is that so? try "whites only in the front of the bus" & see how well that works. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 03:22 pm
"The academies all have separate bus routes to keep its students together. The district decided to enforce the separate routes beginning Monday, but it did not tell the Armstrong family."

That's a direct quote from the article. There appears to be nothing "discriminatory" about it, other than in the minds of some fevered posters...
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 03:22 pm
Obviously some even can't read what they post themselves .... and others don't seem to read anything but just respond.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 03:26 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Obviously some even can't read what they post themselves .... and others don't seem to read anything but just respond.

& some do nothing but point fingers at people that go off topic. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 03:30 pm
Unfortunately, the thrust of this thread was "off topic" from the story posted...
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 03:53 pm
EQUAL
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 03:56 pm
SPLENDA
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 03:59 pm
blacksmithn wrote:
SPLENDA

Laughing
I just hate laughing at a funny from posters I disagree with, but....
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 08:24 pm
LoneStarMadam wrote:
Another thing, how come the driver can get by with speaking English?
This is rediculous.

Yeah, it's a damn shame that these furriners can't even learn how to spell.
0 Replies