Look Ma, I'm eating my oatmeal!

Reply Tue 9 Jan, 2007 08:38 pm
I love oatmeal and I have it for breakfast several days a week.

Recently a friend tsked my Quaker oats as inferior blahblahblahing about "steel cut" or "Scottish" (maybe that was "Irish") oatmeal. I don't really remember.

I've since noticed a considerable price difference. Is there really any taste difference to justify the price?

What, to the best of your descriptive abilities, would that difference be?

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 4,959 • Replies: 60
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 9 Jan, 2007 08:41 pm
Irish.

McCann's.

Texture and taste.

If you really love oatmeal, you'll notice and likely appreciate the difference.

Me, not so much on the appreciation side, though I've usually got some steel-cut oatmeal in the house for baking (I really do like the texture).

Quaker Oats, well, it is oatmeal.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 9 Jan, 2007 08:49 pm
http://www.internaturalfoods.com/McCanns/Mc_Can.gif

this is THE one
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 9 Jan, 2007 08:52 pm
That's a cool ass can, Beth. I assume, judging from the shape, that it is a reproduction?
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 9 Jan, 2007 08:53 pm
I've tried both and I prefer Quaker, mostly for the different flavors.
Irish Oatmeal is too bland for me.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 9 Jan, 2007 08:57 pm
Here ya go Gus.

http://www.mccanns.ie/pages/products.html

Quote:
Old fashioned steel-cut oats in the classic old-style tin. Also available in a 12oz box. The oat groat is cut to enhance the flavour of the Irish Oat. The distinctive hearty, chewy texture of steel cuts makes them a favourite.

http://www.mccanns.ie/pages/products1.html

Quote:
Why Steel-cut Oats?

Steel-Cut Oats are whole grain groats (the inner portion of the oat kernel) which have been cut into two or three pieces using steel discs. Golden in colour and resembling mini rice particles, they are as nature intended - nothing added and nothing taken out.

How are they different from Rolled Oats?

Rolled oats are flake oats that have been steamed, rolled, re-steamed and toasted. Due to all of this additional processing they have lost some of their natural taste, goodness and texture.

What makes McCann's Steel-cut Oats so special?

Grains are essential to a healthy lifestyle and form the foundation of the food pyramid. Steel-Cut oats are inherently full of nutritional value and are high in B-Vitamins, calcium, protein and fiber while low in salt and unsaturated fat. One cup of Steel-Cut oatmeal contains more fiber than a bran muffin and twice as much fibre as Cream of Wheat. The quality of Irish Oats and the distinctive crunchy texture make McCann's Steel-Cuts a gourmet delight.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 9 Jan, 2007 09:00 pm
Ok, I'm sold. I've been wondering about this, now I'll have to find out for myself.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 9 Jan, 2007 09:03 pm
Interesting!

I suppose I'll have to break down and try the "good" oatmeal just so I can judge for myself.

I'm wondering what it is about the taste and texture - is one chewier, grittier, mushier, nuttier..... what?

And what does "steel cut" even mean? (As opposed to what? Plastic cut? Aluminum cut?) Is it a harvesting method or a processig method? How does this affect the taste?

I imagine that any crop is affected by the climate and that can have a huge effect on the flavor. But again... what effect?

I've never tried the different flavors of Quaker oats but just throw in whatever is hanging around .... raisins, crasins, apples, almonds, maple syrup ... whatever ... to change it up.

What flavor do you like CJane? Is that instant or cook it up?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 9 Jan, 2007 09:04 pm
I had no idea about the nutritional difference. Interesting. Might try it... looks pricey though. (I agree that the packaging is way cool.)
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 9 Jan, 2007 09:05 pm
Oooops...

Thank you, eBeth -- you answered most of my questions before I even had a chance to ask them!
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 9 Jan, 2007 09:07 pm
boomerang wrote:
What flavor do you like CJane? Is that instant or cook it up?

Mine is instant (don't have much time in the morning) and I love brown sugar with Maple syrup. Apple cinnamon is good too.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 9 Jan, 2007 09:13 pm
Half a cup of oatmeal (Quaker Oats, the regular stuff, not the "quick oats") with a cup of water for 2 or 2.5 minutes in the microwave, 30 seconds or so to stand, a bit of brown sugar or honey, raisins, a bit of cinammon and nutmeg.

Beats the hell out of the instant packaged stuff, has less sugar in it than the packaged instant stuff, and doesn't really take any longer -- and cheaper, to boot.

And the microwave is more energy efficient than heating a kettle on the stove. Win-win-win.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 9 Jan, 2007 09:19 pm
I make plain oatmeal, then add a generous supply of wheat germ to the top, then a layer of honey, and stir it all together until it has a nice golden- brown color.

Damned good.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 9 Jan, 2007 09:27 pm
patiodog wrote:
And the microwave is more energy efficient than heating a kettle on the stove. Win-win-win.

I don't even have a kettle. Quaker regular and Quaker instant tastes
the same to me.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 9 Jan, 2007 10:30 pm
I buy the "old fashioned" Quaker oats. You cook them for 5 minutes or so on the stove. You can cook them in the microwave but they always boil over and make a big mess so it really isn't worth it.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 9 Jan, 2007 11:42 pm
golden syrup is the only additive suitable for oatmeal.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 06:46 am
What is golden syrup?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 07:18 am
boomerang wrote:
I buy the "old fashioned" Quaker oats. You cook them for 5 minutes or so on the stove. You can cook them in the microwave but they always boil over and make a big mess so it really isn't worth it.

Hmmmm, mine don't. Does your micro have one of them spinning-plate things?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 07:26 am
Wow, thanks eBeth, you've sold me too!

I've been meaning to try the Irish Oats, as I'm trying to go more "whole food"

A while back someone made me a boil of non-instant, non-Quaker oats, might have been Irish Oatmeal, and the only sweetner was just a teeny bit of REAL maple syrup.

It was really great, and definately better than instant.

Being less processed, it'll stay with you longer, I hope.

boomerang, let's do it! Cost be damned if it tastes so much better, and is better for you.

BTW, the only reason I started eating instant years back was that I didn't know you could make regular in a microwave. I guess I thought it would mutate or sumpfin.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 08:12 am
Okay, I'm in.

There's an upscale grocery near Mo's music school and I'll bet they sell it. I'll sneak over there tonight to pick some up and report back tomorrow.

Yes, my microwave has a spinny plate thing. I don't know why it always boils over. I tried making it in a huge bowl to prevent it but it still boiled over so now I just make it on the stove top. Are you using "old fashioned" or "quick" oats, patiodog?
0 Replies