Country of Origin Label For Foods?

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 07:15 pm
Should US foods, be required by law, to be labeled with their country of origin, when they are neither in a prepackaged nor canned state?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,899 • Replies: 17
No top replies

littlek

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 07:22 pm
why not?
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 07:25 pm
Why not? While I 'm for the label, others are of the opinion that such a label will affect trade relations between the US and other countries. People will see the foreign label and become worried about illness and not buy the item.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 07:30 pm
Food is labelled as to country and province of origin here. It doesn't seem to make much difference to most people.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 07:43 pm
We've had several severe outbreaks of food poisoning here in the US from foreign food. Some deaths even resulted. Relative to beef, people are really concerned about Mad Cow disease and would like to know where that beef in the market came from.

I bought some steak today and wondered if it was contaminated or not. I hope not, since I had steak for supper tonight!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 07:52 pm
Well, I guess you've got two choices, maybe three. Move to a country where labelling is already required. Campaign for labelling. Shop at stores that are sensitive to the labelling question. I know that at least one of the shops I went into with l'k last year had labelling re country of origin on fruits and veggies. It costs more to patronize that sort of store, but if you're concerned, you might want to consider it.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 01:11 pm
There were two reported deaths from Salmonella food poisoning after eating fruit from Mexico.

Might be better to stick with canned fruit, if the bacteria are going to be such a threat.
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 01:52 pm
Every food product on sale in the UK must carry by law the country of origin, full and total list of ingredients, nutrient values, sell by date, suitability for vegetarians, gluten free diet and so on.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 01:54 pm
Good idea, but does it increase the price of the food item?
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 02:01 pm
I don't think so. Afterall the manufacturer whether it is kellogs, hienz. or any other knows the ingredients, so they just print the labels accordingly. no big deal
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 02:10 pm
What about the foods, not prepared in factories? Like meats and fruits , etc.
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 02:56 pm
still have to have state/country of origin, sell by dates and local health inspectors from the council do spot checks on all food outlets. supermarkets , cafes , everyhing. very strict rules
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 03:24 pm
olk is referring to a European law: any product sold anywhere must "tell" everything.
Meat (including poultry) has to show country of birth, breeding and where slaughtered. (Additionally, in Germany it is labelled, from which country the feed is coming from.

Of course, GM products have to be labelled, too.

Fruits show origin countries as far as I can think: might be nearly 50 years now.
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 03:30 pm
walter, i think you are right there. the euro food laws were added to similar laws we had in the UK, made 'em stronger. A piece of logic eminating from brussels
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 05:48 pm
fresh foods are identified as to source at the point of sale here. in fact, you can look at your bill from some stores and it will say 'strawberries, california, weight, cost, taxable or not' or 'strawberries, ontario, wt, $, tx' etc.

it's been like that a long time. at least since 1976 (that's when i really started shopping for myself and looking at the labels reasonably seriously)
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 09:25 am
Not so in the Boston area. Store owners are now complaining about the prospect of new laws.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 10:08 am
I suspect that they'll get over it. In the meantime, check out places like Trader Joe's. The people at the food forum I frequent say that their stuff is almost all labelled. They can even identify where they get their cinnamon from.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 10:09 am
They also cost more.
0 Replies