The 76th Rain Forest site - "Everything is Connected"

danon5

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 07:56 pm
Great story Stradee. Nice pics too. The story brought to mind a Swedish Grey duck I had when living in Washington state. A dog broke one of its wings - so we took it to the local vet, who would not work on it. Back home I tried splinting the wing. That didn't work so I went to the big library in Seattle and looked up duck stuff. I found a lot of interesting things and decided on one operation called pinioning to remove the wing. It took about a hour - but, went well. We took care of the duck and finally let it out in the back yard. After a few more days I was in the house looking out back at the duck when all of a sudden the duck - thinking it still had both wings - started flapping. Well, that just sent the poor baby in a spin. Shocked Very Happy After that the duck lived a long and fruitful life.

Long song ehBeth..... But, it was fun singing along.

Late, but, clicked.
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Sun 14 Jan, 2007 06:41 am
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 14 Jan, 2007 06:56 am
Looks like winter is finally on its way here.

In fact - we've got a winter storm watch! Let's start it late - but with a bang.

Up early - I think the sound of the snow falling woke me up - or more, the sound of muffled road sounds.

Clicking, and guarding my baguette from an anxious little male dog. The female's gone back to bed upstairs with her boyfriend.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 14 Jan, 2007 07:18 am
aktbird57 - You and your 300 friends have supported 2,680,017.0 square feet!

Marine Wetlands habitat supported: 145,926.5 square feet.
You have supported: (0.0)
Your 300 friends have supported: (145,926.5)

American Prairie habitat supported: 59,085.0 square feet.
You have supported: (14,163.4)
Your 300 friends have supported: (44,921.6)

Rainforest habitat supported: 2,475,005.5 square feet.
You have supported: (177,136.1)
Your 300 friends have supported: (2,297,869.4)

1 Aktbird57 .. 1601 61.517 acres
2 1294 37.933 acres
0 Replies

ul

Reply Sun 14 Jan, 2007 12:20 pm
Danon,
I have read about this some time ago in my newspapers too.
This is an older article
about Lula's plans.

Winter weather in the west of the US is part of the news here.

I saw a butterfly today...
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Sun 14 Jan, 2007 03:09 pm
Dan, it is my honor to present you with the Rainforest Threads very first "Wildlife Rescue Award" ~ Best Surgery Category!! Very Happy

ul, sounds like a lovely evening! Smile

Hurray ehBeth! Winter! Very Happy

Californina is freezing. Produce will be featured at the Smithsonean where shcool children will learn how product was planted and harvested before the era of frost fans.
Snow, rain, all the normal seasonal weather for the northern portion of the state sitting dormant somewhere. Feetsies not thawed since Christmas! brrr

Sunshine though! Very Happy
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Sun 14 Jan, 2007 04:40 pm
DeSilva's 'deforestation' policy chapter and verse from the gwb 'fire prevention policy' - log everything and guess what? No more forests, no more forest fires. DeSilva couldn't manage keeping poachers from sending container ships ladened with illegal teak to America, and greenpeace was prosecuted by Ashcroft when the Esperanza attempted halting the ships from docking at American ports. The Esperanza was not allowed to dock, the illegal Brazilian cargo ships were. Greenpeace found the ships and the illegal cargo, the u.s. coast guard was to busy arresting the crew of the Esperanza for 'terrorism' to investigate the Brazilian cargo. What happened to the illegal teak shipments? Nobody knows.

There will probably be monotoring, Dan. The prior 150 poachers are now employess of the Brazilan government.
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Sun 14 Jan, 2007 04:40 pm
DeSilva's 'deforestation' policy chapter and verse from the gwb 'fire prevention policy' - log everything and guess what? No more forests, no more forest fires. DeSilva couldn't manage keeping poachers from sending container ships ladened with illegal teak to America, and greenpeace was prosecuted by Ashcroft when the Esperanza attempted halting the ships from docking at American ports. The Esperanza was not allowed to dock, the illegal Brazilian cargo ships were. Greenpeace found the ships and the illegal cargo, the u.s. coast guard was to busy arresting the crew of the Esperanza for 'terrorism' to investigate the Brazilian cargo. What happened to the illegal teak shipments? Nobody knows.

There will probably be monotoring, Dan. The prior 150 poachers are now employess of the Brazilan government.
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Sun 14 Jan, 2007 08:35 pm
It was worth it, Stradee - to see that duck spinning like a top..... Very Happy

I actually couldn't believe the vet wouldn't treat the duck - but, that is what happened.

back later = 10:15 pm
Those poachers - Stradee, in USA are called congressmen and/or Senators. Whichever occurs first. They are all suspect.
0 Replies

ul

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 09:32 am
ehBeth, thanks for looking up the digits.
Now all of us have clicked.

Danon,
I like your duck story.

"..spinning like a top".. brought back memories:
I once found baby rabitts, bottle fed them, and then they trained their leaps( to escape a fox) on the polished hard wood floor- spinning like a top.
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 01:05 pm
Dan, you can bet there are deals made each day with other "democracies" = loyalty payments. I shutter contemplating just how many animals and wildlands were/are sold for a pittance. Sad

Reading all the neat stories you guys tell though, hope abounds! Very Happy
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 04:27 pm
ul, I'm happy you liked the story.... It was very satisfying to see the duck regain it's health. Very Happy
Thanks for the link - that was about a year and a half ago. It's only getting worse. Crying or Very sad

Stradee, you are living at the best place - it is an animal heaven there or sounds like it. I only get an occasional deer and that at about 200 feet from the house. Our outside burgler alarm - ahem, dog - keeps them all at a distance. Very Happy

Now we have freezing temps here. The monster cold wave sweeping the USA hit here today. It will get down into the 20's for the next few nights.

all clicked
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 06:02 pm
snow snow snow

we've got snow

and they promise 8 more days of snow over the next 14 days

hoooooooooooraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay !!!

~~~~~~~~

aktbird57 - You and your 300 friends have supported 2,680,859.9 square feet!

Marine Wetlands habitat supported: 146,090.4 square feet.
You have supported: (0.0)
Your 300 friends have supported: (146,090.4)

American Prairie habitat supported: 59,085.0 square feet.
You have supported: (14,163.4)
Your 300 friends have supported: (44,921.6)

Rainforest habitat supported: 2,475,684.5 square feet.
You have supported: (177,159.5)
Your 300 friends have supported: (2,298,525.0)

~~~~~~~~~~

1 Aktbird57 .. 1601 61.542 acres

2 1294 37.933 acres
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 06:23 pm
Clad in thermals from head to foot, can't pick up a blanket or kitten without getting zapped {there's a sight to see when kittens run across the carpeting and bump into each other - 3-D shock} and there's no humidity. Although i did see a flock of seagulls today, but have no clue why the critters are flying 2000 ft. above sea level and landing in the store parking lot.

Dan, there are quite a few critters in the neighborhood. Deer, possums, racoons, a zillion finches, varies species of wild birds, and probably more of the larger predator animals afoot Bear alerts are generally posted during the Spring - and Mz Puma hasn't been sighted since last summer. The coyotes arn't yelping quite as much lately, not certain if the cold weather has affected their hunting, or if they relocated to higher ground. Mostly though, the deer hang out at the house, garden, munch pellets, and during the last rainstorm, the females and babies rested near the porch underneath the eaves sheltered from the rain.

Ya know, just realized something. I do have a sanctuary for animals - just not quite what i envisioned. The universe works in mysterious ways. Very Happy
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 06:33 pm
ehBeth, yaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy! Very Happy
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 06:47 pm
Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy !!! back atcha :wink:
0 Replies

ul

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2007 08:03 am
ehBeth wrote:

we've got snow

and they promise 8 more days of snow over the next 14 days

Seems you will have enough. Are you going to share? :wink:
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2007 10:49 am
Good afternoon, ul - and, good morning everyone.... Very Happy

We are freezing - but, have no snow. With all the rain just ahead of the freeze line, we do have a lot of clear ice conditions. We are staying inside where its warm and toasty.

clicked.
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2007 12:03 pm
Stay warm wildclickers!!

Today venturing outdoors for gardening, dressed in arctic gear. brrr

ul, praying to the weather gods for ya! Very Happy

Read an article today regarding bird deaths in Australia. Very sad. They've ruled out Avian flu, and are still investigating what may have caused hundreds of birds to perish. Also, there was an incident of the same type of bird deaths near Austin. Dan, news?
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2007 06:20 pm
I don't know why the birds died in such a small area. It sounds like someone didn't like all the crap from the birds and poisoned them. As if that would stop it. Shocked
0 Replies