surgery raises ethical questions re retarded girl

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 11:41 pm
I agree with princesspupule (and noddy).

My personal opinion might be biased a lot as well: a totally diabled SIS, worked more than ten years with diabled persons professionally, ...
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2007 03:00 am
patiodog wrote:
Here's a question.

What about circumcision? I understand that it's a procedure of a vastly different scale, but it, too, is the removal of a body part from someone who cannot offer consent by a doctor (or rabbi -- the moyl doesn't have to be an MD, does he?) at the behest of the parents. Does the slippery slope argument apply here, as well?

Circumcision is a straw man debate, not the topic at hand. Circumcision is more of a cultural thing, along the lines of people who pierce babies in the name of beauty. To me, both make me shudder. I would not do either because I don't believe in inflicting unnecessary pain on babies. But that's a whole 'nother frying pan to jump into/out of. Patiodog, the debate is whether it is morally ethical to keep a child little and lightweight if they are mentally impaired and would at best be inconvenienced by their maturing bodies and the functions of those bodies. When is it ok to decide that a body alteration is more comfortable for another person? Is it better to alter your child so that you can pack them around with you on outings so they have more affection lavished upon them? Is it better to keep them small so older caregivers backs won't suffer lifting them? Does the situation really have to be body alteration to stay with your family or be moved to a carehome equipped w/harnesses or what have you to enable staff to lift the not mobile patients where your natural body might make you a target of molestors, perhaps impregnated by someone even? Imnsho it's a pretty sad world we live in where the family must spin out such dire outcomes in order to justify body altering treatments in order to do what they feel is right for their child. They said their decision wasn't difficult for them to come to. It's all in their blog... http://ashleytreatment.spaces.live.com/blog/
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2007 03:02 am
Same link as mine :wink:
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2007 08:43 am
What worries me most about the article is that they are not able to find caregivers. I wonder why? I wonder if these folks are basically caring for this child solo - and paying for all the extras with their own dollars, to boot.
Honestly, have no clue nor claim to as to what these folks have to face regarding the nitty gritty of the situation. And that is important.

I agree wholeheartedly with Noddy.

I do have problems with the choice. Big problems. Though that this is not a condemnation of the parents at all. Only they know what brought them to that crossroads fully.

But what it comes down to, in my eyes, is - if parents are making choices like this (it had to be something terribly difficult to do, excrusiating to weigh all the negs and positives of this choice!) - then, how can we work and improve these situations so that parents don't feel like they must make decisions like this.

I know I am biased because of my work history. The most I can say about that is: it is an urgent cause. There is no room for sitting on pedestals or making noble judgements.
That is time and energy wasted from actually dealing and working with the nuts n bolts of working to ensure that all have rewarding lives, and that those who have the guts and determination to be caregivers are fully supported in that choice.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2007 10:04 am
Quote:
Circumcision is a straw man debate, not the topic at hand. Circumcision is more of a cultural thing, along the lines of people who pierce babies in the name of beauty. To me, both make me shudder. I would not do either because I don't believe in inflicting unnecessary pain on babies. But that's a whole 'nother frying pan to jump into/out of. Patiodog, the debate is whether it is morally ethical to keep a child little and lightweight if they are mentally impaired and would at best be inconvenienced by their maturing bodies and the functions of those bodies.

Obviously, somebody came to a different ethical conclusion on this one than you did (at least three to four people -- parents, ethicist, perhaps surgeon). You framed your answer in terms of it being a slippery-slope question, so I looked for your (or others') opinions on a matter on a much less steep portion of, for my money, the same slope.

Quote:
I wonder if these folks are basically caring for this child solo - and paying for all the extras with their own dollars, to boot.

I grew up with a girl with no use of her legs at all and very limited use of her arms. Fortunately (or perhaps not, for her), her mind was quite sharp and present.

The difficulty for her family was immense. Everything that was done for the girl -- including medical care -- was borne by the family and what contributions their church could garner for them. They were a poor family even before she was born, it was a poor, rural community with very little medical infrastructure, little job security or flexibility. I thought that what her parents went through to bring her up (I've no idea what happened to them after I got out of HS and moved away) and the way the managed it was superhuman.

Again, I wouldn't make the decision that these parents made regarding the care of their child, but I can understand how they might be utterly desparate to make their situation more manageable. And, ultimately, if there are lapses in the girl's care, it is the girl who suffers first, and if the choice for myself was between being physically altered and rotting with bedsores in dirty sheets, I would choose the former. I am in no way saying those are the only two options for the kid, but they are two potential outcomes. (Sadly, they could both still happen, of course.)

I just don't think enough of my own capabilities in their situation to condemn them for their actions.
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2007 12:22 pm
patiodog wrote:
Quote:
Circumcision is a straw man debate, not the topic at hand. Circumcision is more of a cultural thing, along the lines of people who pierce babies in the name of beauty. To me, both make me shudder. I would not do either because I don't believe in inflicting unnecessary pain on babies. But that's a whole 'nother frying pan to jump into/out of. Patiodog, the debate is whether it is morally ethical to keep a child little and lightweight if they are mentally impaired and would at best be inconvenienced by their maturing bodies and the functions of those bodies.

Obviously, somebody came to a different ethical conclusion on this one than you did (at least three to four people -- parents, ethicist, perhaps surgeon). You framed your answer in terms of it being a slippery-slope question, so I looked for your (or others') opinions on a matter on a much less steep portion of, for my money, the same slope.

The reason circumcision is done to improve a body's function? I thought it was originally done to set a people apart from the heathens...

Isn't a slippery slope where you rationalize an action or a behavior as harmless in one situation, then using that case to justify increasingly unsound behaviors as rational? The Ashley treatment is used first here, for Ashley, then for other children severely handicapped in similar ways, then perhaps it becomes ok to use it for severely handicapped people in other situations, then less handicapped people faced with going into carehome facilities to make them easier to handle, and that would be a slippery slope.
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2007 01:04 pm
flushd wrote:

But what it comes down to, in my eyes, is - if parents are making choices like this (it had to be something terribly difficult to do, excrusiating to weigh all the negs and positives of this choice!) - then, how can we work and improve these situations so that parents don't feel like they must make decisions like this.

From their blog:
Quote:
Unlike what most people thought, the decision to pursue the "Ashley Treatment" was not a difficult one.

Quote:
Ashley's Mom came upon the idea of accelerating her already precocious puberty to minimize her adult height and weight.

Quote:
It was obvious to us that we could significantly elevate Ashley's adult quality of life by pursuing the following three goals:

1- Limiting final height using high-dose estrogen therapy.

2- Avoiding menstruation and cramps by removing the uterus (hysterectomy).

3- Limiting growth of the breasts by removing the early breast buds.

The surgeon also performed an appendectomy during the surgery, since there is a chance of 5% of developing appendicitis in the general population, and this additional procedure presented no additional risk. If Ashley's appendix acts up, she would not be able to communicate the resulting pain. An inflamed appendix could rupture before we would know what was going on, causing significant complication.

Ashley was dealt a challenging life and the least that we could do as her loving parents and caregivers is to be diligent about maximizing her quality of life. The decision to move forward with the "Ashley Treatment" was not a difficult one for us as most seem to think. It was obvious that a reduction in Ashley's height (and therefore weight), elimination of the menstrual cycle, and avoidance of large breasts would bring significant benefits to her health and comfort.

Quote:
To put our decision process in perspective, it is not uncommon for parents with children who have cancer or birth defects to pursue significantly more intrusive treatment (chemo or radiation therapy) or more involved surgery (limb amputations or face reconstruction), than what the "Ashley Treatment" entails. We strongly believe that the benefits that we're seeking for Ashley are not any less worthy than these other unfortunate situations entail.

I simply question their rationalization of the procedures they wanted to handle their daughter. I am a parent of a child who had cancer. I have walked down that road and let me tell you that it is uncommon to pursue intrusive treatment except in cases where death is the alternative. They are trying to justify their ideas, declaring them akin to palliative therapy, which might prolong a child with cancer's quality of life without bringing about cure. But death isn't lurking on their horizon, only natural body maturation which complicates their hard-enough situation. Her life isn't in jeopardy without these extreme body alterations. And perhaps, in her case, such extremes do improve her quality of life, but trying to get worldwide acceptance for such an extreme solution marches us one step closer toward a place where body mutilation of people without voices is an acceptable practice.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2007 01:40 pm
princesspupule wrote:
patiodog wrote:
Quote:

The reason circumcision is done to improve a body's function? I thought it was originally done to set a people apart from the heathens...

Isn't a slippery slope where you rationalize an action or a behavior as harmless in one situation, then using that case to justify increasingly unsound behaviors as rational? The Ashley treatment is used first here, for Ashley, then for other children severely handicapped in similar ways, then perhaps it becomes ok to use it for severely handicapped people in other situations, then less handicapped people faced with going into carehome facilities to make them easier to handle, and that would be a slippery slope.

The most common justificationsI've heard for circumcision among non-Jews in the U.S. are hygiene and, basically, habit (as in, "well, that's what his dad's looked like"). I saw it as a much more benign (but also much more petty) spot on the same slope -- "Let's take the hood off of Junior's dingle so we don't have to clean underneath it."

Anyway, not a big deal, just trying to find an analogy that's less loaded. It's how I've seen ethicists work in leading discussions. (Yes, I've been there. They avoid topics like this one because they're, well, hard.)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2007 01:52 pm
There are reports now that male circumcision cuts aids risk greatly, so besides general hygiene there may be a disease deterrence factor.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8473838/

I still don't know what I think about the topic issue. Working on it.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2007 01:56 pm
Let's expose all handicapped children at birth. There's a dead end guaranteed to be without a slippery slope.

Or we could continue to treat each child--each "case" if you will--with loving, individual consideration.

Legislative bodies are not licensed to practice medicine.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2007 02:16 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
Let's expose all handicapped children at birth. There's a dead end guaranteed to be without a slippery slope.

Or we could continue to treat each child--each "case" if you will--with loving, individual consideration.

Legislative bodies are not licensed to practice medicine.

Well, Bill Frist was, at some point.

Scary.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2007 03:53 pm
All the charities for the disabled or developmentally disabled seem to be about children. But who cares about them when they're 30 years old and still pissing their pants? I'm not offering an opinion on the topic of the thread. It's way too complicated for me.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2007 04:04 pm
princesspupule wrote:
And perhaps, in her case, such extremes do improve her quality of life, but trying to get worldwide acceptance for such an extreme solution marches us one step closer toward a place where body mutilation of people without voices is an acceptable practice.

The part I have emphasized-- "trying to get worldwide acceptance"-- is that really what the parents are doing? I haven't gotten the impression they are doing anything more than trying to make their position clear in an attempt to lessen the firestorm this is likely to generate (a doomed attempt, likely).

If I were them, I'd be dreading that this would turn into a Terri Schiavo-like circus, and I'd be trying to head that kind of controversy off as best I could. I think that's the point of their blog, not to push for world-wide acceptance, just to get everybody to hopefully just back off.
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2007 04:13 pm
patiodog wrote:
The most common justificationsI've heard for circumcision among non-Jews in the U.S. are hygiene and, basically, habit (as in, "well, that's what his dad's looked like"). I saw it as a much more benign (but also much more petty) spot on the same slope -- "Let's take the hood off of Junior's dingle so we don't have to clean underneath it."

Anyway, not a big deal, just trying to find an analogy that's less loaded. It's how I've seen ethicists work in leading discussions. (Yes, I've been there. They avoid topics like this one because they're, well, hard.)

Ok, I see your logic. Suppose we apply the scenario to the Ashley treatment, and if she had been born a boy, perhaps her mother would've suggested circumcision as part of the treatment procedure for a male pillow angel. Can you imagine this suggestion to ethicists, "Let's take the hood off Ashley(it's a boy's name too; recall, Ashley Wilkes)'s dingle so we don't have to clean underneath it. Besides, it will lighten his weight by several grams making him easier for grandma to lift since she is one of his caregivers..."
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2007 04:13 pm
Wilso wrote:
All the charities for the disabled or developmentally disabled seem to be about children. But who cares about them when they're 30 years old and still pissing their pants?

The very same that do for the younger ones - at least here.

A problem arose a couple of years ago with the question, what to do when they are seniors, get pensions.
(Solved: senior homes for disabled)
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2007 04:16 pm
Cyphercat--

Excellent point.

From what I've read, the greatest joy in this Ashley's limited life is to be held and walked and rocked.

She is not a "normal" child and any attempt to insist that she be deprived so that future children may not be endangered is daft.

Democracy means honoring individual differences.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2007 04:28 pm
My SIS is most heavily disabled, blind, can barely speak, moves only in a wheelchair, ... ... but is pleased to be driven to work every day, go on holidays to Spain and Greece twice per year and wants to be looked at as a 51 year old woman and not a child.

I've made the same experiences with all those disabled, who lived in the house/groups I led - but different with their parents (and my in-laws as well, besides the twin sister of the disabled).
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2007 04:34 pm
cyphercat wrote:
princesspupule wrote:
And perhaps, in her case, such extremes do improve her quality of life, but trying to get worldwide acceptance for such an extreme solution marches us one step closer toward a place where body mutilation of people without voices is an acceptable practice.

The part I have emphasized-- "trying to get worldwide acceptance"-- is that really what the parents are doing? I haven't gotten the impression they are doing anything more than trying to make their position clear in an attempt to lessen the firestorm this is likely to generate (a doomed attempt, likely).

If I were them, I'd be dreading that this would turn into a Terri Schiavo-like circus, and I'd be trying to head that kind of controversy off as best I could. I think that's the point of their blog, not to push for world-wide acceptance, just to get everybody to hopefully just back off.

Then why name the treatment after their daughter? Why suggest other families w/similarly handicapped children follow a procedure conceived by another mother rather than the handicapped child's own doctors? Why discuss it on a blog at all?
Quote:
we decided to share our thoughts and experience for two purposes: first, to help families who might bring similar benefits to their bedridden "Pillow Angels"; second, to address some misconceptions about the treatment and our motives for undertaking it.
I'm sure from their blog that they have the best of intentions, but the road to hell has been said to be paved w/good intentions.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2007 05:07 pm
cyphercat wrote:
I haven't gotten the impression they are doing anything more than trying to make their position clear in an attempt to lessen the firestorm this is likely to generate (a doomed attempt, likely).

princesspupule wrote:
Then why name the treatment after their daughter?

That doesn't suggest anything to me, other than a convenient way to refer to the treatment.

Quote:
Why suggest other families w/similarly handicapped children follow a procedure conceived by another mother rather than the handicapped child's own doctors?

I suppose you could call that "pushing for world-wide acceptance," but is the quote you've pasted your example of them doing this ("we decided to share our thoughts and experience [. . .] to help families who might bring similar benefits to their bedridden 'Pillow Angels'")? I hardly think the idea of sharing what happens with this treatment is a bad idea. Providing information for others is not coercion, or seeking world-wide acceptance.

Quote:
Why discuss it on a blog at all?

As I said before, to explain their side of the story. It is obvious why they would want to make sure their views are available to those wanting to question why they're doing this-- this very thread is an example of why they would want to do so.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2007 05:31 pm
I can understand the argument that not intervening would be ethically more pure. I don't happen to know the girl's survival chances at all. It seems to me that her chance for comfort k her life is a great deal better with the intervention, and that would matter to me if I was one of the parents.

I'll also agree that at least in the US we need much greater support systems..
0 Replies