The Democrats Just Took Over

Gala

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2007 07:11 pm
Bush is doing a fantastic job. And he couldn't have done it without the quiet strength of his lovely wife Laura.

She responded to a question in a radio interview from her Texas ranch about the war this way (paraphrasing here) "Aa don't know why people git so upsayt 'bout things in laaf when all y'all have ta do is come out ta a garden or look et nayture and it's so peayceful."

Well, don't you know, some ingrate listener wrote in and said "I lost my son in the Iraq war, I believe my being upset is warranted."

I believe there ought to be no term limits on this Presidency.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2007 07:37 pm
I understand that Our Glorious Leader and his wife are planning a move to Stepford.

Rumor or fact?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2007 08:29 pm
McGentrix wrote:
nimh wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
and the moon is made of cheese and swans live in you pool right?

Ah yes, what better retort to someone actually bringing the latest official numbers from the Congressional Budget Office.

Classic Bush-conservative reaction when their claims are fact-checked against the actual official numbers: put your fingers in your ears and go "la-la-la, I cant hear you!!"

No, the retort of someone who notices someone posting numbers with no source.

McGentrix, he already posted the link where he got the numbers about outlays and revenues from in his previous post, when he was answering LSM:

kelticwizard wrote:
I will post the deficit numbers from the Congressional Budget Office. Take a look at the first chart, Revenues, Outlays, Deficits, Surpluses, and Debt Held by the Public, 1962 to 2005 (Billions of dollars)
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2007 09:44 pm
Gala wrote:
Bush is doing a fantastic job. And he couldn't have done it without the quiet strength of his lovely wife Laura.

She responded to a question in a radio interview from her Texas ranch about the war this way (paraphrasing here) "Aa don't know why people git so upsayt 'bout things in laaf when all y'all have ta do is come out ta a garden or look et nayture and it's so peayceful."

Well, don't you know, some ingrate listener wrote in and said "I lost my son in the Iraq war, I believe my being upset is warranted."

I believe there ought to be no term limits on this Presidency.[/quote

hear hear He's more popular than Jesus, and no one's going to burn his albums.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2007 11:56 pm
McGentrix wrote:
No, the retort of someone who notices someone posting numbers with no source.

nimh wrote:
McGentrix, he already posted the link where he got the numbers about outlays and revenues from in his previous post, when he was answering LSM:

kelticwizard wrote:
I will post the deficit numbers from the Congressional Budget Office. Take a look at the first chart, Revenues, Outlays, Deficits, Surpluses, and Debt Held by the Public, 1962 to 2005 (Billions of dollars)

And for employment figures, I used the Current Population Survey found at the Bureau of Labor Statistics website.
www.bls.gov
http://www.bls.gov/cps/home.htm

They show the following for Bush Sr vs Clinton: For Bush Sr's four years, he created 2.2 million full time jobs total. For Clinton's 8 years, he created over 16 million full time jobs total-that's over 2 million full time jobs per year. The 18 million job figure I gave for Clinton previously included part time jobs-16 million is the correct figure for full time jobs, seasonally adjusted. Figures are for thousands of jobs.

Using the BLS' own tables, here are the figures for Bush Sr and Clinton's terms. Reagan's last full month was December 1988 and Bush Sr's last full month was Dec 1992. Subtract Reagan's last month, (95,922,000) from Bush Sr's last month, (98,134,000) and you get 2.2 million jobs total.

Subtract Bush Sr's last month, (98,134,000), from from Clinton's last full month, (114,289,000), and you get over 16 million full time jobs. Over 8 years that is over 2 million per year. So one of Clinton's years was worth all four of Bush Sr's years in the area of job creation.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v645/kelticwizard100/December1988-2000.jpg

Documentation enough? I gave official figures, and gave the website which has them.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 02:09 am
McGentrix wrote:

[Article quoted by McGentrix]
GDP Revisions Ominous

* The annual GDP growth rate from 1998-2001 revised down to 2.7 % vs 3.1%
* 2001 overall growth revised down to 0.3 % vs 1.2 %

Suffice to say this report is one more nail in the coffin of the new paradigm economy of the 1990's. Like so many of the corporate revisions we have witnessed -- with more to come in the future -- the 1990's "New Era Economy" has turned out to be more fiction than reality.
You can find more here Nimh.

This editorial is a hack job by an apologist for Bush. Please note that the author strains to include 2001 in the "paradigm economy of the 90's"-when 2001 was clearly not part of the 90's. The purpose of this is to create the impression that the lousy numbers of the Bush years are confused with the good performance of the Clinton years.

A) "* 2001 overall growth revised down to 0.3 % vs 1.2 %"

So what-that happened during Bush's term, not Clinton's. How is this constitute a critique of "the paradigm economy of the 90's"?

B) "* The annual GDP growth rate from 1998-2001 revised down to 2.7 % vs 3.1%".

Here is the GDP increase for the years in question.

1998: 4.2% (Clinton)
1999: 4.5% (Clinton)
2000: 3.7% (Clinton)
2001: 0.8% (Bush)

See what this author is doing here? For Clinton's last three years GDP growth averaged 4.1 percent, which is excellent. The average since 1950 is 3.3 percent. However, in Bush's first year, 2001, there was almost no growth at all. So McGentrix's author is trying to include Bush's first year, and using terminology to give the impression that it was Clinton's last year, so the growth rate is reduced-just as any number is reduced when it is divided by 4 insted of 3.

As it stands, growth even including Bush first dud year is still 3.3 percent, not 2.7 percent. So either the numbers were revised again by the Bureau of Economic Analysis, (which operates under a Bush appointee), or McGentrix's author can't do simple arithmetic.

Either way, the fact remains that growth in Clinton's last year was 3.7 percent, which is above average. And even if you fall for McGentrix's author's scheme and include Bush's first year in Clinton's economy, growth was still at the average since 1950-3.3 percent.

It should be pointed out that growth in Bush's term is 2.7 percent per year-well below the average.

There is little doubt that Bill Clinton's performance has the conservatives in a permanent tizzy. According to their economic beliefs, his actions should have resulted in disaster, yet in fact they yielded success after success. This gives them two choices: adjust their beliefs or pretend that Clinton's successes never really happened. As McGentrix and this author prove, they have opted for the latter.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 04:31 pm
Good posts, Keltic. Facts, facts, facts. Always the only antidote against opinion and rhetorics.
0 Replies