Superman of city's subways

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 06:35 pm
Lately the word 'HERO' has been used far too often in the media.
Finally, it can be used on this ordinary man who did an extraordinary thing.
Superman of city's subways
Harlem father leaps to rescue
of student who fell onto tracks
Wesley Autrey gives onlookers a big smile after his lifesaving heroics. 'I had a split-second decision to make,' he said.
Cameron Hollopeter recovers in St. Luke's Hospital yesterday after his brush with death.
Wesley Autrey's daughter Syshe waits for his return.
Diving onto subway tracks, a Harlem father saved the life of a stranger yesterday when he pinned the flailing man between the rails just seconds before a 370-ton train roared over their entwined bodies.
"Please, sir, don't move," Wesley Autrey, 50, said as he shoved his body against Cameron Hollopeter, who had tumbled off the platform after suffering a seizure. "If you move, one of us is going to lose a leg or die."
The men, who were jammed face-to-face in a 2-foot depression between the tracks, were unharmed by the No. 1 train that screamed over them, just inches away.
"It's miraculous," Hollopeter's grandfather Jeff Friedman, 55, said later. "He's sedated, but the doctor said he's going to be okay."
Autrey, a construction worker, was having an otherwise ordinary afternoon when he passed through the turnstiles at W.137th St. and Broadway about 12:45 p.m. He was with his daughters, Shuqui, 6, and Syshe, 4, whom he planned to drop off with their mother at Times Square.
The military veteran first noticed Hollopeter, a 20-year-old film student, when he collapsed to the platform after the seizure. Autrey said he put a pen in the man's mouth to keep him from swallowing his tongue as two women also ran to his aid.
The convulsions subsided and Hollopeter climbed to his feet - but he then staggered and fell off the downtown platform.
"I had a split-second decision to make," Autrey said. "Do I let the train run him over and hear my daughters screaming and see the blood? Or do I jump in?".
Knowing a train was likely to pull into the station at any moment, Autrey tried to pull Hollopeter up. But the fallen man started fighting his rescuer, knocking him dangerously close to the third rail and its deadly 600 volts.
Autrey told the Daily News that after only a few seconds, he saw the lights on the front of the No. 1 train bearing down on him and pushed the man into the trough.
"He was fighting and pushing against me, so I laid on top of him," Autrey said. "The train was probably 2 inches off my back."
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/local/story/485218p-408507c.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 827 • Replies: 12
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 06:36 pm
Yeh, I read about that. Totally amazing.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 06:47 pm
I saw this on the news. I can't imagine having the courage to do such a thing, let alone lying face down on the floor of a NYC subway track.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 07:01 pm
My husband and I were talking about it just a few minutes ago. He says that the man was acting on pure instinct and if he'd had a moment to think about it, he probably would not have done it.

I applaud Mr. Autrey but at the same time, I just can't imagine him doing something like that with his babies watching from the platform. Shocked
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 07:05 pm
OK, I'm dumb about subways; though I rode some as a child and some not all so long ago, I don't know about the electrification - that is in the rails, isn't it? Or what?
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 07:18 pm
What is refered to as the "third rail" is where the power is, and if you touch it you are dead. Apparently he managed to keep himself and the victim within the two rails that are not electrified and thus survived.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 07:22 pm
That's what I was guessing, and makes it even more amazing. And then he did think of his daughters when he yelled to the crowd..
I agree he acted out of instinct, but still brave. He has a physical job, clearly used to action, physically adept. Gads.
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 08:46 pm
Looks like he was trying to lift the heavy man to safety when the train arrived. He decided to stop him from moving and losing his arms or legs. So he lay down on him and told him not to budge. He was the one who was close to the moving train.
Thanks to his decision the other man is in one piece. Autry is a hero.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 08:50 pm
Oh, I surely agree he is a hero.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 08:54 pm
Threee cheers for Mr Autry!!!
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 09:32 pm
Hip hip hooray!
0 Replies

kiwimac

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 11:15 pm
Well done that Man! There are far too few heroes about.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 10:53 am
But now, as usual, the media (at least CNN) is milking it to death with even more interviews and I'd really like to see Mr. Autrey maintain some dignity and not allow himself to become fodder for the press. What he did was beautiful and selfless. Can we leave it at that.
0 Replies