TV or not TV. That is the question.

Matrix500

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2002 07:41 pm
Hi, Piffka...

That's what the breeder told us she does from the time the puppies from any litter she has are very young. (BTW, she only has a max. of 2 litters a year from two different dogs, and raises them inside her home.) The key is to expose the puppies gradually to as many varying sounds as possible at as many different volume levels as possible. It really helps teach them to be calm during stressful times. The puppy's also been exposed to sounds like the hairdryer, power tools, coffee grinder, metal pans being dropped on a kitchen floor, etc. When he's first heard these sounds, he's startled, but then if I take him to where they came from and show him what happened, he's just curious and not afraid of the noise anymore. This is all quite a contrast to our last dog who ran barking for the door every time the doorbell rang in the Domino's Pizza ad on TV. He, of course, didn't have the benefit of being socialized properly before we rescued him.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2002 07:48 pm
I own a $50 black&white TV, I bought 10 years ago at Walgreens. When the timing is right, I can get 3 channels maximium.

I rarely look at TV, except on Sunday nights. I spend lots of time reading magazines, papers and books .

Idea
0 Replies

couzz

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2003 11:40 am
Mostly use TV for music channels---great music selection and no commercials.

Shows:

Latenight: "Late Show with David Letterman"
Game shows "Lingo", "Jeopardy"
Politics: "McLaughlin Group"
General: "Masterpiece Theater", "Midsomer Murders"
Guilty pleasures: "Survivor". "The Mole"
Sports: Yankees
Cartoon: "SpongeBob SquarePants"
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2003 11:58 am
There once was a lady of rhyme,
Who watched her TV all the time.
But that was BC
(pre computer, Ah,me)
And now no TV is just fine. Razz
0 Replies

couzz

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2003 12:13 pm
Letty:

I agree with you. My TV viewing has been cut by half now that I am hooked on you know what....
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2003 07:22 pm
fishin' wrote:
Mine is usually on when I'm home. Just for background noise if anything. I probably only actually "watch" anything for 5 or 6 hours a week. I usually just pop on the History Channel or The Learning Channel. The house is way to quiet with nothing on.

Similar here.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2003 07:24 pm
I've watched very little since they started assaulting us with lifestyle programs a few years ago. Add social trash like Big Brother and Temptation island and free to air is finished here. Thank god for satellite.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2003 06:23 am
The only shows I watch are:

American Dreams
ER
The Practice
Third Watch
0 Replies