"...They lost."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 6,491 • Replies: 47
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2002 06:09 am
I haven't watched TV since 97. Before that I'd only spent 94-97 watching TV.

I'll still see some TV shows but not on TV. I don't like following their schedule.
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2002 06:17 am
I´ll watch a film if it´s good once a month or so,which is exactly how often the Danish channels send one.Otherwise it sits in the corner of the bedroom covered in clothes.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2002 06:40 am
If Law & Order, CSI and 60 Minutes ever goes off the air, I will use my TV as a bookshelf!
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2002 07:53 am
Mine is usually on when I'm home. Just for background noise if anything. I probably only actually "watch" anything for 5 or 6 hours a week. I usually just pop on the History Channel or The Learning Channel. The house is way to quiet with nothing on.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2002 08:26 am
Ditto Phoenix
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2002 09:39 am
I needed another answer for that poll. The TV is on, turned on by someone else. I don't usually watch it and I'm one of the few in the house who know where the off button is, I think.

I do watch a few shows on TV when I remember they are on... I'm addicted to Ground Force though I've seen every episode over the last few years. I'll also push to watch the Jeff Corwin Experience, but usually I'm superceded by teens, and then I become a web-surfing Luddite. I hate TV news and sit-com laughter. ugh ugh
0 Replies

Peace and Love

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2002 10:40 am
We have Direct-TV and it includes some music-only channels. If we're not watching a TV show, we click over to one of the music channels.

So, I answered "when I'm awake and at home".

I watch the morning news while I'm getting ready for work. I like to know the latest news.

This morning, I watched "Deep Blues" before the news came on. It was a documentary about the origins of blues music, and included footage of non-recorded, non-commercial blues players. Old-timers sitting on their front porch, playing the blues. Or playing in Juke-joints. Heard some excellent music.... good way to start the day!!

Very Happy
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2002 10:42 am
Couldn't answer the poll. Don't have one to turn on.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2002 11:05 am
Thank you for that last category . . . i'm not really a Luddite, though, i haven't smashed the tv. I need it for the console video games i play . . .
0 Replies

JerryR

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2002 11:25 am
You can shut it off?!?!?!?!! Laughing

Mine is on all the time,..usually tuned to whatever bad sci-fi is on.
It's actually on now,..and I'm at work,..the puppies like to watch too! Laughing
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2002 12:10 pm
Your puppies watch TV? Smart! I knew a horse that watched TV... really, she did. It was amazing. Her owner said it was better than the radio. I'm a conservative, I guess, my horse has her radio tuned to Classic FM.

It's not that I'm a snob about TV, I just find so much of it very annoying. The laugh tracks are particularly grating and talk shows are awful, though my d. and I watch Martha Stewart every now and then... I don't think we've ever done any of her "tips" but she's so amazing. Who would have thought to do the things she does?

My son, aged 18, adores the History Channel. He watches it whenever he can, and has learned a lot. I owed him some money so I bought him, as requested, the Band of Brothers DVD set last week, which he's been watching over and over. My daughter enjoys Friends... My husband will watch drop anything to watch his baseball team play and he turns on CNN in the morning, mostly to get riled up, I think.

I like BBC America and will watch Premier League and Serie A football, if I've got the time. I watched nearly every World Cup game... luckily that's only once every four years.
0 Replies

Lorna

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2002 02:36 pm
Since I'm back at school now, all I have is the laptop, which plays DVDs...since I'm a movie freak, that's all I need...and my stereo...haven't watched TV in weeks... Surprised

Lorn
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2002 02:41 pm
I have mine on for background noise most of the time, like fishin, its just too darn quiet without it. Actually I will alternate nights between TV noise and Stereo noise for a variety.
When I do have it on its usually TLC, Discovery or Animal Planet, something like that.
Last night I didnt turn it on at all, and tonights noise will be a hockey game most likely so I guess it all depends on my mood.
I must say that if Im home during the weekday for any strange reason, it drives me nuts.
I do like to watch movies, and those are best watched on DVD Smile
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2002 03:51 pm
Often I use the music channels when I want to hear what is new because there are no commercials and they post the name of the CD playing, the artist, and the song title.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2002 04:35 pm
We watch (in no particular order):
* The Weather Channel
* Courage the Cowardly Dog
* WWE Wrestling
* Basketball or baseball, depending upon the season, sprinkled with occasional hockey, tennis and football. Also ESPN Sportscenter, sometimes
* CNN
* The Food Network, particulary Rachael Ray, Sarah Moulton and Tyler Florence - sometimes Emeril Lagasse and the occasional Iron Chef for laughs
* The History Channel
* The Discovery Channel
* The Science Channel
* Friends
* Enterprise
* Who's Line is it Anyway? (either version)
* Some movie channels but not the pay ones - usually some older film but sometimes Pay Per View
* Very rarely, the local news

Plus a little bit of other bits of surfing, though not much. This is over the course of a year, by the way - we definitely don't watch all of this every night.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2002 04:45 pm
About as much NBA as a hoops junkie can stand. And about as much women's tennis as makes it to the television. And too much of those channels you have to pay extra for.

Too much of it in general, actually, but it these days it helps keep me from getting buried in textbooks.

Oh, yeah -- frequently Jon Stewart brings in the news-of-the-world at 11:00...
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2002 05:23 pm
I'm a news-junkie, and an active stock trader. I have multiple satellite receivers, including 2 UltimateTV, and generally have at least 2, sometimes as many as 4, small TVs tuned to various news and financial channels on all at the same time in my office during the Monday-Friday "WorkDay". There are also usually at least 3 computer monitors locked on different auto-updating financial sites, and one used for browsing. Mrs Timber disparagingly refers to my office as "The Starship Bridge". Rolling Eyes
Evenings however, if the big Livingroom TV is on at all, it is usually History Channel or Discovery Channel, or one of that ilk. More rarely, a movie on one of the Premium Channels such as HBO, Sundance, or ShowTime, or even a rented video or DVD, though in nearly 7 years of being a DirecTV subscriber I have never purchased a Pay-Per-View movie or event. I don't believe I've followed a network series in 10 years or more ... I couldn't even tell you what was current broadcast network fare, apart from news and PBS. More frequently, however, the Livingroom A/V suite spends its evenings reproducing music of various genres (and doing so splendidly, I might add). Weekend daytime viewing is pretty much limited to motorsport events, which themselves sometimes call for multiple simultaneous feeds of different races (a NASCAR race on a Big Screen backed up with a hefty SurroundSound system is quite entertaining if you go for that sort of thing). Then of course, there is the All-too-Brief Professional Football Season, Playoffs, and SuperBowl.

Go Packers!

timber
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2002 06:00 pm
timber -- a fellow Cheeshead! Someone with whom I can exult! Are you LOVING the Packers this year? Can you believe it? Is Brett looking just incredible? I've been walking around with an idiot grin since Sunday. Last time I got overconfident, Brett sprained his knee, so I'm trying to be calm about it. But they look GREAT!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
0 Replies

JerryR

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2002 07:51 pm
OK,..My TV is still on,..and the puppies had a great day watching the sci-fi channel!!! Laughing

May I add, that twisted my ankle Saturday morning,..and spent the entire day watching the dvd set of the entire first season of "24",..it was awesome! Very Happy
0 Replies