TV or not TV. That is the question.

ehBeth

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2002 07:59 pm
Sometimes the t.v. is not turned on between visits from Setanta. I occasionally have an Andy Griffith night and snuggle with the dogs and watch Barney and Andy and Opie and Aunt Bea and Howard and Helen Crump and ...

When I go to my parents I love to watch the food channel on their bigger t.v. The dogs seem to really like Animal Planet on the big t.v. Bailey was once spotted searching behind it for the chimpanzee that had been vocalizing on-screen.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2002 08:08 pm
The answer is http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=929
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2002 08:29 pm
I always wondered about leaving the tv on for the animals but, Im not sure what they'd prefer to watch, and then, gosh..what if they argued about it
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2002 08:37 pm
From personal experience, quinn, doggies like Animal Planet (but mostly when it's about small, domesticated animals not wild nasty things like crocs and snakes and the like). My dog also likes those commercials which feature animals and, in fact, any show that has animals in a dominant role. Wonder if anyone has done a study of why this might be?

Personally, the tv is on almost always when I'm home. Indeed, there are times (when there is a fascinating breaking news-type show) that I've had 3 different tv's on at the same time -- on three different levels so I can go from one level to another without missing a word. The tv is on even now, though I couldn't really tell you what it's all about. I rarely just sit and watch tv (it puts me to sleep), but enjoy the background noise and am a devoted news junkie.
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2002 07:18 pm
Love Sunday football, so the tv's on all day for the games.

Movies are my thing also, and music. Direct TV provides a bunch of movie and music channels ~ if it wasn'f for work and trips to the grocery store, I wouldn't leave the house ever!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2002 08:12 pm
Geez, I'm just getting back to this thread. The aforementioned horse, who had a TV for company, seemed to prefer talk shows and sitcoms. We think she liked hearing that (ugh) neighing laughter on the laugh tracks.

Band of Brothers has played almost continually here since its purchase. Even I, who cannot stand violent TV, have watched parts. V. good.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2002 08:15 pm
We don't have cable. We have a tv and a vcr that we can't hook up right. The tv gets channel 4 - that's all. I never turn it on.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Mon 18 Nov, 2002 08:42 pm
I must say, I expected... um... less.

K... what's the difference between one channel and two-hundred?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 18 Nov, 2002 08:50 pm
SealPoet wrote:
K... what's the difference between one channel and two-hundred?

I find the main difference to be that after a futile browsing of a couple hundred channels looking for something worth watching, the hour has changed and there's a whole new lineup for further futile browsing

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

timber
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Mon 18 Nov, 2002 09:51 pm
Nothing SP, what I really dislike is over 200 channels and nothing to watch.
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Mon 18 Nov, 2002 09:52 pm
So...the more we have, the more we have to complain about. Story of life, I think.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Tue 19 Nov, 2002 06:45 pm
The talking lamp. the glass teat.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 19 Nov, 2002 06:53 pm
SP - good Q about one channel or 200..... I dunno, I don't understand the whole mega-channel thing. I'd be happy if I could get the comendy channel, a local news station, the discovery channel and if my vcr worked. But, I'd have to pay money for it and it's just not a priority.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 19 Nov, 2002 09:25 pm
I have an intense love/hate relationship with my television set. As for viewing habits, we keep it on mostly from habit when we're home and we keep it playing when we're at work, hoping the sound will discourage possible house burglers, though I don't expect it will work that way - When I walk up to an obviously empty home the sound of a t.v. or radio doesn't ever fool me.
When I was a small child I needed my radio shows because I had little else in my life, except books and drawing. As t.v. came along it took over for the series shows. I loved so many of these shows growing up and in my time as a young adult I still watch reruns of the best ones when I get a chance. But something has happened. The people in charge of programming have forgot that the shows need to be entertaining or informative. The last show I truly loved was Sienfeld.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2002 04:01 pm
Seinfield was funny, especially Elaine, I thought. There were times when I just cringed and could not watch it... the sticky messes that they got into. As a child I watched TV with my annoying -- now wonderful -- younger brother. He could not stop yelling at the TV. "No! No!" He'd cry. "Look behind you. Don't open that door... No. No!!!" It was embarassing, ridiculous and, after a while, hilarious! But that's how I felt watching Seinfield.

"Don't do it George... don't say it!" But he would.
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Thu 21 Nov, 2002 02:12 am
Seinfeld is,along with The Simpsons,the very best thing to come out of the U.S.A.
George was a fantastic character-a total,wonderful loser.It´s shown at least twice a week in Scandinavia but I´m never at home to watch it..Shame.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 21 Nov, 2002 07:14 am
We taped almost every episode of the Simpson's for the first few seasons. We were extremely popular with the neighborhood kids all week!
0 Replies

Matrix500

Reply Thu 21 Nov, 2002 09:15 pm
The TV is on in our house most of the time, usually tuned to one of the cable news networks. As others have mentioned before, it's just too quiet in the house without that background noise...In the evenings, the channels that get watched the most, are History International, Discovery Civilization, Discovery Science, the History Channel, and the Learning Channel, HBO, Showtime, The Movie Channel, and other movie channels, but rarely pay per view. Also like to watch the Food Network, especially the Iron Chef...Kaga is a fashion show to behold, and I now know that I would starve to death if I ever moved to Japan...

Love the shows "24", "Frasier", "Seinfeld", "Will and Grace" and "ER". When the U.W. Huskies are playing and the game is televised, I'm there.

When my daughter was sick a couple of years ago, we started watching one of the daytime soaps...not taking it seriously at all, but to poke fun at the characters. It's been an on again off again thing, but it's good for laughs, and laughs are always something good to share with a teenager. So are the Osbornes, and Jackass...Not my first choices, but if it means sharing time with my daughter, I'll watch it.

We also have a puppy, and part of his socialization includes having the TV or the stereo tuned to different kinds of stations with the volume at varying levels. If I have to leave him home by himself, I usually leave it on one of the news channels because of the constant conversations taking place...It kind of sounds like someone's home and drowns out the "scary noises" coming from outside.
0 Replies

Matrix500

Reply Thu 21 Nov, 2002 09:25 pm
Piffka...Band of Brothers was excellent! I taped the entire series for my son when it first aired.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 21 Nov, 2002 09:35 pm
Matrix. What a good idea to use the TV as a socialization and comforting tool for your puppy. Now that you say it, that what we do for the horses when the radio is on, but I'd never thought about exactly why. It's just habit... you've got a barn, you get a radio.

The Band of Brothers is great. Even I, who cannot stand any form of violence, have been able to watch most of it. I steeled myself beforehand to the fact that a lot of them were going to die. My son is very pleased with the trade-off of hard outside-work (splitting wood, clearing the woods) for this treat.
0 Replies