A SNOW-LESS Winter in Bahstin...

littlek

Reply Tue 13 Feb, 2007 06:13 pm
Uhoh, I fear that those with nefarius intent might use my above words out of context to make me look......silly.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 13 Feb, 2007 06:16 pm
I can't imagine how...
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 13 Feb, 2007 06:20 pm
Ah, must be my paranoid imagination.......

Pdawg, what happened to your skull?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 13 Feb, 2007 06:29 pm
I cannot recall.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 13 Feb, 2007 06:34 pm
Looks like you have some kind of mass behind your right ear.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 13 Feb, 2007 06:37 pm
Supposed to snow here this evening and rain tomorrow. Damn, I still haven't bought boots, whatta flake.
0 Replies

Tacuma

Reply Tue 13 Feb, 2007 06:45 pm
littlek wrote:
Ah, must be my paranoid imagination.......

They were rubbish cameras.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 15 Feb, 2007 12:43 pm
I just heard from my brother in Vt that they had 34" of snow in the 24 hours ending at midnight last night. The Weather Channel reported that the barometric pressure was the lowest ever recorded (134 years). Looks like you guys in Boston missed a BIG one!
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 15 Feb, 2007 09:23 pm
we got was a little snow, then a lot of sleet, then torrential rain, then more sleet, and a then a little more snow.

it all froze over last night, turning the town into a huge-mungus skating rink...
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 15 Feb, 2007 10:09 pm
I chipped stuff off my car that looked like 2 inch thick styrofoam, but broke like sandstone - to give you all an idea. Car tires were in 3 inches of ice - had to chip them out. Even the plough-banks which wedged my car against the curb were solid - the banks are usually shovelable.

Everyone who shovelled early yesterday evening ended up with a thick - 2-3 inch - layer of ice for their efforts. Those who waited until it was over around midnight had easier shoveling as the water was still liquid below the snow. This morning though, it didn't much matter when or how you shovelled last night.

I don't think I've ever seen anything quite like it.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 16 Feb, 2007 05:11 am
I have no idea how we're gonna get the car out this weekend. I am seriously considering ordering groceries online. We can walk to the bus okay but getting the car out is just not gonna happen without an enormous amount of effort.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 16 Feb, 2007 12:35 pm
Wow, what a mess!

We had something similar. We got a whole lot of snow on Tuesday (something like 10 inches), then it turned to sleet/ rain late on Tuesday, then temperatures dove again. So we have this crust (about 2 inches thick) over compacted snow. It's an absolute bear to try to deal with.

E.G. was at work on Tuesday (covered parking) and drove home late, drove barely into our (long) driveway and was able to get in and out that way. He was sick Wednesday (no school for sozlet) and stayed home, none of us went anywhere; then on Thursday he was still recovering and drove sozlet to school in his car. Today he went back to work, and helped me get my car out of the garage, it was a mess. No way we could shovel the whole driveway, he gunned the car over the cruststuff (in reverse) to the end of the driveway.

I thought I might be able to shovel but it's really a matter of chipping away at the compacted snow/ice with a spade (not snowshovel) and making incremental progress. I think we're just going to have to wait for warmer weather. Supposed to be 38 by Monday. (That said, I'll be at least a little sad to see all the snow go -- it's beautiful.)
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 16 Feb, 2007 03:22 pm
I lived through an installment of "Real Men Don't Need Snowplows", another Character Building Experience.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 16 Feb, 2007 03:42 pm
last night i helped someone push their car forward, freeing it from an icy prison.

tonight i will apply some serious elbow grease to our shackled vehicle...
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 16 Feb, 2007 04:17 pm
Also posted in the "what made me smile today" thread:

The side street my place is on the corner of allows parking only on one side during the winter months.

This couple across the street has a driveway for 1 car, and they have 2 cars. They pretty much "reserved" a spot for themselves right in front of my place, by replacing the car on the street with the one in the driveway if the car on the street has to go somewhere. It's annoying.

So last night when I was shoveling the sidewalk, I shoveled a huge pile of show up the rear bumper and against one side of the car on the street. Today that all turned to ice. The guy was out there for a long time trying to shovel it out, but that car still isn't going anywhere. Good times.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 16 Feb, 2007 06:58 pm
This may have been the guy I saw this afternoon who was using a pickaxe to free his car. I'm kinda surprised I haven't heard the sounds of chainsaws but I'm guessing that's next. It's ugly.

I cleared off our car, which was harder than it may sound and involved eventually leveraging up almost the entire rooftop's worth of snow and propelling it onto the ice-covered front yard. The yard, of course, is slippery so the hunk o' snow fell right back down onto the driveway.

I have no idea how we're gonna get past the driveway apron. That whole area is a few inches of thick, wavy ice, perfect for losing a tire or muffler in. I need someone to just come lift the car out of the driveway and onto the street.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 17 Feb, 2007 12:04 am
All that sounds really awful.

(We've temperatures of about 60°F since two days, beautiful sunshine, and the crocusses and daffodiles are already coming out - no wonder, after just one day of snow during the whole "winter".)
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sun 18 Feb, 2007 05:09 pm
we found out today that the rarest commodites in Bahstin are rock salt and other snow melting products.

sand just ain't cutting it...
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 18 Feb, 2007 05:12 pm
Do you have a crowbar?

Tedious, but consider heating the sand.

Is there any way that you can position the car to use the heat of the engine to melt the ice in the way?
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sun 18 Feb, 2007 05:24 pm
the car's fine -- we took her for a spin today.
its the re-freezing i'm concerned about...
0 Replies