A SNOW-LESS Winter in Bahstin...

sozobe

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2011 10:56 am
@ehBeth,
That makes sense.

Light fluffy stuff is easy to deal with anyway, with just a shovel or broom or (if it's a car) a snow brush/scraper.
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2011 11:02 am
Here in the Boston area we've had 44 (mostly flat-roofed) buildings and
structures collapse due to the weight of the snow+rain. I'm glad I
shoveled off the porch roof.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2011 11:23 am
@jespah,
jespah wrote:
My father keeps telling me to buy an ice chopper. Do you like it, Set?

Yes, you get really good leverage. You hold it up in your two hands and chop straight down--it works a treat.

Those entrenching tools were still being issued when i was in the army.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2011 11:27 am
@littlek,
I do have one advantage - indoor garage at work - wish I had one at home.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2011 11:35 am
My morning snow story - bring the little pup out to do his duty. We have a pet area which is the preferred area to walk your doggie and let him due his duty (of course you still need to scoop the poop).

Anyway my 15 pound bundle of energy managed to pull away from me (as I was holding the leash very firmly) and he goes running in the forest (well off the main pathway and into (in the non-winter) grassy areas. Now there are some very nice snowy areas immediately off the path that the bigger dogs have already broken down so you are not knee deep or more in snow.

So he goes running and figured oh good there is enough ice over the snow so he isn't plunging in over his head. Well when I went to go get the poop, I am not 15 pounds and I sunked. I had to fight several feet of snow to get the poop. That was my wet, cold workout for the day.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2011 04:40 pm
I had to re-scrape my car this morning, but it was still well shoveled out. Of course my spot was taken when I got home. I nabbed the spot my neighbor shoveled out. He laughed at me as I shoveled my car out along the whole side facing the road saying I was over shoveling. He shoveled out just the rear bumper end so he can wiggle out of the space. It's like driving a car into a walled driveway.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2011 05:31 pm
So, from looking at this thread and others, it appears that yall are okay in the mid-west and NE. I was concerned about the roof thingee and the possibility of power outages - and perhaps frozen water pipes.
littlek

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2011 06:32 pm
@realjohnboy,
It was plenty cold, but not that unusually cold for us. The snow on roof issue was a much bigger one. Now we need to keep an eye out for basement floods due to melting snow.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2011 06:33 pm
@littlek,
I've been glaring at my roof lately, daring it, daring it to consider an ice dam.
littlek

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2011 06:35 pm
@ehBeth,
Our landlady had the maintenance guy come again this week to shovel ours, which is flat
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2011 07:47 pm
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01817/coyote-water_1817666i.jpg
A coyote is rescued from the frozen Charles River in Boston.
Picture: SPLASH NEWS
George

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2011 08:55 pm
Not lovin that dirty water
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2011 05:52 am
@Irishk,
What did they do with the coyote?
Region Philbis

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2011 06:30 am
@Sglass,
Quote:
A not-so-wily coyote managed to strand himself on the icy Charles River yesterday morning and briefly eluded would-be rescuers — only to be captured with a net near the Museum of Science in Cambridge.

“He is very nervous and very scared right now,” Tufts Wildlife Clinic spokesman Tom Keppeler said last night after the animal was taken to the North Grafton facility.

The coyote was trapped on ice floes near the Charlesgate Yacht Club when animal control officers approached him with a net, spurring the beast to skulk from his frozen perch, swim through the frigid river and make a run for it on land, state police said.

Animal Rescue League workers caught him with a net on a long pole near the museum.

Keppeler said the wildlife clinic will take X-rays and run other tests today. If the animal has no obvious health problems, Keppeler said, he will be released back into the wild as soon as possible.

“He won’t be released in Harvard Square,” he said.
(herald)
jespah

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2011 08:00 am
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:

Quote:
...“He won’t be released in Harvard Square,” he said.
(herald)

But what if he wants to go to Border Café?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2011 12:22 pm
@Region Philbis,
Surprised they didn't shoot him - they did shoot and kill a coyote recently in Beacon Hill.

It was then spotted in Louisburg Square, a private section of historic brownstones between Pinckney and Mt. Vernon Street.

Citing public safety concerns, police closed off the area where the animal was shot and killed.

“He was euthanized,” said Duncan. “If he was sick, he might have been rabid.”

I think he got too close to Kerry's expensive house.
littlek

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2011 06:26 pm
I'm glad they didn't euthanize this coyote.

Today's drive home was chock-full of WTF commentary. I'm not sure if the snow banks are the only reason why people are driving like idiots. Maybe they just highlight the people who drive like idiots. Snowbanks at corners and rotaries are higher than my line of sight. In some places they are much higher. Some roads were never plowed during the last slush storm and have a 4" hump between two paths beat down to pavement by car tires. There's a lot more forgiveness for some types of otherwise inexcusable driving, but a lot less forgiveness for other types.
jespah

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2011 08:05 am
@littlek,
I've been watching the plastic chair on my street as it is slowly migrated from parking spot to parking spot, and back again, a circadian rhythm for our times.
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2011 07:52 am
Was it a girl coyote or a boy coyote
Region Philbis

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2011 11:19 am
@Sglass,

i believe it's a leg-lifter...
0 Replies