Sorry but I'll be washing my hair then.

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2006 09:30 am
Quote:
WASHINGTON: George W. Bush sent his apologies - he was too busy cutting wood and riding his bike - and almost 500 of the 535 members of Congress also had more pressing engagements, as the state funeral for Gerald Ford, the 38th president of the US, was held in Washington yesterday.
While Ford's widow, Betty, was joined by Vice-President Dick Cheney in the Capitol Rotunda, most members of the political establishment were notable for their absence.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid and his deputy, Richard Durbin, opted to continue with a visit to Inca ruins in South America. Incoming house speaker Nancy Pelosi pardoned herself, and six of the nine members of the Supreme Court, including John Paul Stevens, who was appointed by Ford, were nowhere to be seen.

To make matters worse, there was a last-minute scramble to rally enough pallbearers. A spokesman for Donald Rumsfeld said the former defence secretary had missed a flight, and if fellow pallbearer James Baker was there, he was keeping a low profile.

Only Attorney-General Alberto Gonzales and Commerce Secretary Carlos Gutierrez were on hand to represent the Bush cabinet team. A spokesman for Mr Bush said the President would attend another service tomorrow, but that did little to placate political commentators.

Senator Reid's decision to visit South America knowing he would miss yesterday's service raised the ire of many. "He's the incoming Senate Majority Leader, for crying out loud, and he can't even show a little bit of respect?" political analyst Mike Gallagher told Fox News.

Some Republicians may have been angered by Ford's comments, released posthumously, that Mr Bush had seriously erred in ordering the invasion of Iraq, but Mr Cheney sidestepped that issue during yesterday's service.

"He answered discourtesy with courtesy," he said. "Few have ever risen so high with so little guile or calculation."

The American people were also slow to respond. Police had erected barricades to keep the expected thousands at bay, but by mid-afternoon only 20 people were waiting outside Capitol Hill to view the casket.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,828 • Replies: 59
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2006 09:44 am
Odd, to me. I actually liked Ford. Odd that I would, since I rarely like Republican politicians.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2006 09:46 am
It will be a zoo here in Grand Rapids this week.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2006 09:56 am
Who do you think will show up for W's funeral. Many Republicans are running away from him even now while is is alive.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2006 10:00 am
civility is dead in America and no greater example than that **** on stick meat puppet in Crawford.....
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2006 10:04 am
That is totally disgusting. Just shows you about the characters of the people in Washington. You mean they couldn't take one day out of their busy schedule to honor a former President? The whole thing sucks. I feel very terrible for Betty. What a disappointment that must have been for her.

When Bush croaks, I hope that nobody shows at HIS funeral!
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2006 10:10 am
ebrown_p wrote:
Who do you think will show up for W's funeral. Many Republicans are running away from him even now while is is alive.

this tune written about M.Thatcher sum's up the feelings i think most people will have about W's funeral

Tramp The Dirt Down
Elvis Costello

I saw a newspaper picture from the political campaign
A woman was kissing a child, who was obviously in pain
She spills with compassion, as that young child's
face in her hands she grips
Can you imagine all that greed and avarice
coming down on that child's lips

Well I hope I don't die too soon
I pray the Lord my soul to save
Oh I'll be a good boy, I'm trying so hard to behave
Because there's one thing I know, I'd like to live
long enough to savour
That's when they finally put you in the ground
I'll stand on your grave and tramp the dirt down

When England was the whore of the world
Margaret was her madam
And the future looked as bright and as clear as
the black tarmacadam
Well I hope that she sleeps well at night, isn't
haunted by every tiny detail
'Cos when she held that lovely face in her hands
all she thought of was betrayal

And now the cynical ones say that it all ends the same in the long run
Try telling that to the desperate father who just squeezed the life from his
only son
And how it's only voices in your head and dreams you never dreamt
Try telling him the subtle difference between justice and contempt
Try telling me she isn't angry with this pitiful discontent
When they flaunt it in your face as you line up for punishment
And then expect you to say "Thank you" straighten up, look proud and pleased
Because you've only got the symptoms, you haven't got the whole disease
Just like a schoolboy, whose head's like a tin-can
filled up with dreams then poured down the drain
Try telling that to the boys on both sides, being blown to bits or beaten and
maimed
Who takes all the glory and none of the shame

Well I hope you live long now, I pray the Lord your soul to keep
I think I'll be going before we fold our arms and start to weep
I never thought for a moment that human life could be so cheap
'Cos when they finally put you in the ground
They'll stand there laughing and tramp the dirt down
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2006 10:10 am
Quote:
WASHINGTON: George W. Bush sent his apologies - he was too busy cutting wood and riding his bike

No matter what you may think of George or what his agenda really was, this is a horrendously stupid remark.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2006 10:11 am
What's the matter with those people?

Show a little respect for the family. It doesn't cost that much.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2006 10:13 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
That is totally disgusting. Just shows you about the characters of the people in Washington. You mean they couldn't take one day out of their busy schedule to honor a former President? The whole thing sucks. I feel very terrible for Betty. What a disappointment that must have been for her.

When Bush croaks, I hope that nobody shows at HIS funeral!
[/quote

Personally I think thousands of women should show up in a red dress and The Dixie Chicks should play, and Alex Baldwin should give the eulogy. all available on a full length dvd produced by Michael Moore.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2006 10:15 am
dyslexia wrote:
Quote:
WASHINGTON: George W. Bush sent his apologies - he was too busy cutting wood and riding his bike

No matter what you may think of George or what his agenda really was, this is a horrendously stupid remark.

I'd prefer him cutting wood and riding his bike to working out a new way forward.....
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2006 10:19 am
http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/B0000AN7KV.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2006 10:22 am
dyslexia wrote:
Quote:

It appears to be the remark of an Australian reporter, dys.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2006 10:43 am
Ticomaya wrote:
dyslexia wrote:
Quote:

Yeah, too true, also MSNBC (the commies) Los Angeles Times, Central Florida News, Dallas Morning News, Seattle Times, Etc. etc. etc.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2006 10:45 am
This shows what a small, petty man our president is. The bunch of 'em are beyond belief. Ford was a decent, basically good man; this is a disgrace.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16412093/

Everything was in place for Gerald R. Ford's state funeral last night -- everything, that is, but the statesmen.

Quote:
President Bush sent his regrets; he was cutting cedar and riding his bik
e on his ranch in Texas. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid and his deputy, Richard Durbin, couldn't make it, either; they were on a trip to visit Incan ruins. Incoming House Speaker Nancy Pelosi took a pass, too -- as did nearly 500 of the 535 members of Congress.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2006 10:50 am
dyslexia wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
dyslexia wrote:
Quote:

Yeah, too true, also MSNBC (the commies) Los Angeles Times, Central Florida News, Dallas Morning News, Seattle Times, Etc. etc. etc.

If Bush actually said he was "too busy cutting wood and riding his bike" to attend last night's service, I will concede it was a horrendously stupid remark.

If, on the other hand, he merely indicated he would remain at Crawford and return to Washington for today's service, I will not. Stupid judgment, probably, but not a stupid "remark."
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2006 10:57 am
Ticomaya wrote:
dyslexia wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
dyslexia wrote:
Quote:

If Bush actually said he was "too busy cutting wood and riding his bike" to attend last night's service, I will concede it was a horrendously stupid remark.

f, on the other hand, he merely indicated he would remain at Crawford and return to Washington for today's service, I will not. Stupid judgment, probably, but not a stupid "remark."

Yes, of course, all the news articles just kind of threw that comment in although some used the word "cutting cedar" rather than the simple "cutting wood"

Actually I appoligize Tico, for I included in my cut and paste the responses of Pelosi. Reid, the Supremes, 500 members of congress etc when I should have just posted the remark of Bush and let it go at that. What was I thinking?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2006 11:10 am
Well in all fairness dys The Supremes may have been previously committed to the James Brown funeral....,.,.,
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2006 11:46 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
Well in all fairness dys The Supremes may have been previously committed to the James Brown funeral....,.,.,
Quite rightly so.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2006 04:18 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
All the liberals will show up...provided it's an open casket...just to say: "He's dead, he's really really dead. No, not just semi-functionally brain dead but like really really totally dead."
They will then go back to reading their copies of Mad Magazine...

I hear if Mikey Moore doesn't burger himself to death before then, he'll be making a film of the event.
0 Replies