Bush Supporters are Intellectually and Morally Compromised

snood

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2007 12:18 pm
No problemo - it's actually sort of germaine, since it addresses the question of whther we are doing more harm than good in Iraq.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2007 12:40 pm
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Occom Bill wrote: "we haven't succeeded" or "it's worse now than when we started" would not be well taken by the likes of Alice Paul or MLK. The consequences of the struggle itself are certainly considerable...

Bill, Alice Paul's grandaughter, Lorraine, was a good friend of mine. She carried on her grandmother's traditions with dedication and integrity. I enjoyed her stories about her grandmother's life as a suffragette. We met when we were forming a national labor womens' organization, the Coalition of Labor Union Women (CLUW). She worked hard on the project even though she was recovering from injuries resulting from a terrible auto accident.

BBB
Interesting. Alice Paul has always been a favorite hero of mine.

snood wrote:
I "grasp" that oftentimes icons of the "other" ideology are used in exposition of a stance in a discussion (MLK has been bandied about by the right as in support of everything from disassembling affirmative action to dismantling the public school system), and I was not going to let that pass unacknowledged.
I resent that "icons of the "other" ideology" crap. McG's assessment of my meaning was spot on. Go back and read it again if you don't understand it.

snood wrote:
Your condescending "explanation" of O'Bill's 'real' intent doesn't address that to use MLK in the way he did - in the middle of a longish point about not abandoning the oppressed - made it impossible to extricate exactly how MLK would and would not react, when faced with the spectre of Iraq.
I in no way attempted to predict MLK's (or Alice Paul's for that matter Rolling Eyes) would-be position on Iraq. My point was exactly as McG described it.

Good to see you Frank.
Frank Apisa wrote:
As part of his defense, Saddam Hussein, on a couple of occasions, indicated that the "toughness" (the free world called it "brutality") he showed was necessary for the stability of the country…was necessary to keep disparate forces in check so that the country could operate in a reasonably civilized manner.

Did that part of his defense make sense?
It does if you think Apartheid was a fine peace keeping compromise. Or, more pointedly, if you saw nothing wrong with 20% of the population dominating the society.
Frank Apisa wrote:
Are the Iraqis better off now than they were with Saddam Hussein?
Was Alice Paul better off behind bars being force fed than she was before she made her protests? Was the United States better off for mounting the Civil War in 1863?

snood wrote:
Well writ.

Well writ for BS... No change here.

On his very first day as a member; OCCOM BILL wrote:
Neither you nor I know for sure what Saddam did or didn't hide before our arrival. We do know that he violated every resolution. We do know that he used every weapon he's ever had in the past. We do know that he sought more powerful weapons and I think we both know that he'd eventually have used them if he got them.

A little later that day, OCCOM BILL wrote:
I have not, nor will I ever defend the motives of Bush nor any of his staff...
....Any self respecting man could never stand by while a rape was taking place if he had the ability to stop it. His ability translates to responsibility. I believe the same is true for countries. The US is by far the most powerful country in the world in terms of economy, Military and broadness of natural resources. Who, if not the US should step in front of the Rapist? I think it's high time the civilized people of the world recognize their responsibility and come to the aid of their repressed brothers and sisters. Until human rights of all citizens of the world are recognized, world peace will continue to be an idealist's fantasy. Now that the cold war is over we must stand together against evil before a new one begins. If Russia, the members of the EU and the United States all stood together, who would dare oppose them? Whomever you name; needs to be eliminated before world peace can be a reality.
Peace, out Bill

Still on day one, OCCOM BILL wrote:
My belief is that Bush new this man had to go… and being a moron was happy to exaggerate claims to convince the public. I am ashamed that he should have to. The facts of Saddam's Regime's treatment of Iraqis should have been a call to arms in and of itself. His first, second or at least the third violation of his ceasefire should have been enough...

...Now I don't know precisely what the catalyst for Bush was. And I'm certainly not going to try to defend all his actions. I will not try to portrait the US as the world's noble protector either. I mean damn; we haven't even paid our dept to the poor people of Bikini Atol whose Island we blew up, allowed their children to play in H-Bomb fallout and nearly starved to death after abandoning them on the foreign Island we forced them onto. But the result remains the same. A brutal monster has been removed from power. This my friends, is a good thing.

And some of you may remember this nutty little rant and the hell I took for it. Laughing
On his very first day as a member; OCCOM BILL wrote:
Human rights is my number 1 concern. Violence against women and children drives me out of my mind. Where we seem to differ is I'm not nearly as concerned with nationality as you...
...Several generations of North Korean people have never had enough to eat. Charitable donations are sold on the black market to the isolated few North Koreans who have money. Much of the Middle East practices barbaric faiths where their women are valued less than shoes. When the cold war ended, it seemed everyone just took a big sigh of relief. I submit; not everyone. There is no excuse for hunger on this planet let alone in this country. When it comes to babies it doesn't matter what color their skin is, or where they live, they should be entitled to sustenance. Our supposedly peaceful embargos and sanctions only effect the poor (far worse than anything Bush has done here). Do you think Saddam ever suffered from trade restrictions? Please. These supposedly peaceful solutions are the reason we are so hated. A war against their version of Islam… Oh no, we don't mean that… Well we damn well should! That's right I said it. Women are not dogs, and I'll happily put to death everyone who disagrees with me until everyone that's left does. That, is the humane solution. If you believe with all of your heart that you should stone your women to death if she insults you and you can not be persuaded to change your way of thinking, than good riddance to you. If half of the people in a geographic location need to be slaughtered, to make room for a civil society, than so be it. Allowing cultures to mature at their own rate when they were isolated was one thing. Now that they are armed with first-world technologies it is quite another. Gone is the possibility of rising up with your farm tools to defeat your oppressor yourself. It is no longer possible. Without help from some superior force these people will continue to suffer untold horrific fates generation after generation forever. That's the ugly truth. Now I really don't care what the cost of liberation is. It's worth it and I'll happily pay my share. This world will continue to be a cesspool for most of it's residents until we finally admit that our ability translates to a responsibility to help. Are you feelin me?

Tell me again how only lefties are consistent Set. I could just about have cut my posts from 4 years ago to make the same points I'm making on this thread. Tell me more about intellectual dishonesty.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2007 12:49 pm
Quote:
Do you think Saddam ever suffered from trade restrictions? Please. These supposedly peaceful solutions are the reason we are so hated. A war against their version of Islam… Oh no, we don't mean that… Well we damn well should! That's right I said it. Women are not dogs, and I'll happily put to death everyone who disagrees with me until everyone that's left does. That, is the humane solution. If you believe with all of your heart that you should stone your women to death if she insults you and you can not be persuaded to change your way of thinking, than good riddance to you. If half of the people in a geographic location need to be slaughtered, to make room for a civil society, than so be it.

http://dailyablution.blogs.com/photos/blogpictures/camp2.gif

Intolerance... Will not be Tolerated!

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2007 12:49 pm
That reminds me, my farm tools are in need of major upgrade. Wink
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2007 02:04 pm
O'Bill:

Quote:
I resent that "icons of the "other" ideology" crap. McG's assessment of my meaning was spot on. Go back and read it again if you don't understand it.

Resent it all you like. The fact is that the right has made a practice of co-opting Dr King's words, and using them in a way he never intended. It was not unreasonable for me to make mention of that practice.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2007 02:40 pm
Are you sure those were his words?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2007 02:42 pm
What words are you referring to (I hope you notice that you were able to post in a thread I started without being accused of stalking anyone)?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2007 02:46 pm
Setanta wrote:
So, in the final analysis, all i see is that those who have opposed this war have been reasonably consistent in their arguments against the venture, and that those who support this war have shifted with the winds of circumstance, because they can't or won't admit that they were wrong. I suspect that the latter group will continue to claim that they are not wrong, and will do so long after the Shrub is gone, and long after we have left Iraq.

Care to explain how you think I have vacillated in my support of the war? O'Bill has already affirmed his consistency of opinion, and I submit my position has not changed at all.

Or were you talking about other posters who support the Iraq War, who shall remain nameless?

snood wrote:
Well writ.

As O'Bill said ....

Frank Apisa wrote:
I would like to wish Snood...and all the good folks posting in this thread...

...a wonderful, happy, and rewarding 2007.

Happy New Year, Frank.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2007 02:46 pm
McGentrix wrote:
I don't think you quite grasped the point Bill was making.

He was not suggesting that MLK would have supported the war, rather that sometimes the struggle is worth the sacrifice and time. We can not allow the need for instant gratification and immediate results cloud the vision of long term goals.

Why use the image of MLK, specifically, to make a point about the worth of slaughter and destruction? I'm sure such icons as Vladimir Lenin and Joseph Stalin, and Pol Pot would also agree that "sometimes the struggle is worth the sacrifice and time," in regard to war.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2007 02:49 pm
snood wrote:
What words are you referring to (I hope you notice that you were able to post in a thread I started without being accused of stalking anyone)?

Anything MLK ever "wrote" or spoke.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2007 02:53 pm
If I understand what you're asking - yeah, I'm reasonably familiar with his writings and speeches, and I can quickly research what I'm not familiar with.

Why do you ask?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2007 02:54 pm
InfraBlue wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
I don't think you quite grasped the point Bill was making.

He was not suggesting that MLK would have supported the war, rather that sometimes the struggle is worth the sacrifice and time. We can not allow the need for instant gratification and immediate results cloud the vision of long term goals.

Why use the image of MLK, specifically, to make a point about the worth of slaughter and destruction? I'm sure such icons as Vladimir Lenin and Joseph Stalin, and Pol Pot would also agree that "sometimes the struggle is worth the sacrifice and time," in regard to war.

Precisely
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2007 03:05 pm
I wasn't asking anything.

Also, I cannot troll a thread I was invited to, whether you intended to do so or not.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2007 03:19 pm
Keep your snotty remarks to yourself, O'Bill--it's disgusting in view of the way you whined in the NK thread about civility.

I did not at any time say that "only lefties are consistent," so you can pack that strawman up and drag it out the door with the corpse of your "civility." I did not mention your name, and i specifically avoided mentioning names with one exception.

I also did not mention intellectual dishonesty at any time, so you can drag that strawman out the door along with the other one, and the corpse of your civility.

Finally, my post referred to the expressed opinion of both opponents and supporters of this war from a time before the invasion took place, up until the present. Your first post is in April, 2003--after the invasion. I'm not about to do a search of all your posts at this site, but that already pretty well lets you out of the equation, because we don't know, and can't know (despite any protestations on your part) what your point of view was before the invasion. My post concerned itself with how people responded before, immediately after and in the years since the invasion.

There's only one piece of solid ground you're on with your snottiness, and that is when you refer to my post as BS. I can only conclude from this contribution, and so many others of yours, that you are a master at BS, and probably unchallenged in its production--so maybe i shouldn't object to your characterization.

I note that you have selectively quoted me, and have not addressed the specific points i have made--you were to eager to show us how snowy white and clean your own skirts are. Yeah, i have to accept that you are a master at BS.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2007 03:34 pm
cjhsa wrote:
I wasn't asking anything.

Also, I cannot troll a thread I was invited to, whether you intended to do so or not.

cjhsa wrote:
Are you sure those were his words?

You were asking something.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2007 03:48 pm
Since some members seem to lack reading comprehension skills, here is the point which i was making.

Many people on the right once said we should invade Iraq because they "knew" Hussein had womd. After the invasion, they confidently predicted that womd and womd programs would be found. Some even predicted that evidence of links between Iraq and al Qaeda would be found. Neither of those has happened. Since then, many have shifted their ground completely, and said that we went in to rid Iraq of a brutal dictator--and that is the heart of their inconsistency. I further mentioned Brandon, solely as an example, of some who continue to say that we had to do it because we had to be sure that there were no womd. I have pointed out that this is inconsistent, because such people do not call for the invasion of other nations known to have or reasonably thought to have womd or womd programs. I would further point out that those who are worried about brutal regimes don't seem to worry about that in other countries, such as the Sudan, the most glaring current example.

Simply saying that one has consistently supported the war does not in any way address the point i was making.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2007 03:58 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:

Good to see you Frank.

Good to see you…and you, too, Ti!

Quote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
As part of his defense, Saddam Hussein, on a couple of occasions, indicated that the "toughness" (the free world called it "brutality") he showed was necessary for the stability of the country…was necessary to keep disparate forces in check so that the country could operate in a reasonably civilized manner.

It does if you think Apartheid was a fine peace keeping compromise. Or, more pointedly, if you saw nothing wrong with 20% of the population dominating the society.

That sounds like a "NO"…but I really want to check. Are you saying you think the argument does not make sense?

Quote:

Frank Apisa wrote:
Was Alice Paul better off behind bars being force fed than she was before she made her protests? Was the United States better off for mounting the Civil War in 1863?

This "seeming to answer without actually answering" is something I've not seen in you before this.

If you really don't want to answer…no problem, Bill…but I really do not understand your response.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2007 05:51 pm
Setanta wrote:
Since some members seem to lack reading comprehension skills, here is the point which i was making.

Many people on the right once said we should invade Iraq because they "knew" Hussein had womd. After the invasion, they confidently predicted that womd and womd programs would be found. Some even predicted that evidence of links between Iraq and al Qaeda would be found. Neither of those has happened. Since then, many have shifted their ground completely, and said that we went in to rid Iraq of a brutal dictator--and that is the heart of their inconsistency. I further mentioned Brandon, solely as an example, of some who continue to say that we had to do it because we had to be sure that there were no womd. I have pointed out that this is inconsistent, because such people do not call for the invasion of other nations known to have or reasonably thought to have womd or womd programs. I would further point out that those who are worried about brutal regimes don't seem to worry about that in other countries, such as the Sudan, the most glaring current example.

Simply saying that one has consistently supported the war does not in any way address the point i was making.

Your point is silly, when you refer to, "many people on the right." If you have someone particular in mind, you should be specific. Otherwise, inasmuch as O'Bill and I have already demonstrated your "point" does not relate to either of us, I submit that your "point" about "many people on the right" is pure B/S.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2007 09:30 pm
No matter what denials or protestations are raised, it's totally accurate to state that many on the right have had to alter their arguments to fit the changing face of the war.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2007 11:18 pm
snood wrote:
O'Bill:

Quote:

Resent it all you like. The fact is that the right has made a practice of co-opting Dr King's words, and using them in a way he never intended. It was not unreasonable for me to make mention of that practice.
So rather than acknowledge a perfectly valid point, you thought it would be better to deliberately misinterpret it and imply that I am opposed to MLK's ideology... as if I would have opposed what he stood for? That's as shallow as it is tedious, Snood. MLK is an American icon... an American hero, just as surely as is Alice Paul. Both operated with legendary resolve in pursuit of freedom for their fellow humans. Neither cowered over set backs, steadfast opposition nor threats of violence. Both clearly understood that the good fight has to be fought, regardless of how long it takes or the degree of success you enjoy. As shining examples of enduring resolve; they fit my point quite nicely.

Were I ever to forget his name, I could simply say "You know, that history buff who's always whimpering about snottiness while accusing others of poor reading comprehension" and I've little doubt the majority of A2Kers would know exactly who I was talking about. Famous for exceptionally long winded ad hominem laden tirades, that would have long ago earned him scroll-past status, if not for the redeeming, sometimes even fascinating, historical perspective. But, I don't want to mention any names... Rolling Eyes

Previously; Setanta wrote:
So, in the final analysis, all i see is that those who have opposed this war have been reasonably consistent in their arguments against the venture, and that those who support this war have shifted with the winds of circumstance, because they can't or won't admit that they were wrong. I suspect that the latter group will continue to claim that they are not wrong, and will do so long after the Shrub is gone, and long after we have left Iraq.
No sooner did Snood realize the folly of his overbroad assessments and show the integrity to retreat from them; in comes Setanta to pick up where he left off. After being provided irrefutable evidence of his error; unlike Snood, he chooses instead to lash out at the purveyors of truth, who interrupted his fantasy by demonstrating the falseness of his ridiculously slanted tyrade. Well done Set.

Frank Apisa wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:

Good to see you Frank.

Good to see you…and you, too, Ti!

Quote:
Frank Apisa wrote:

That sounds like a "NO"…but I really want to check. Are you saying you think the argument does not make sense?
Let there be no doubt; that's a NO. I'm not sure how that could be at all unclear. Regardless of disagreements on how best to solve the crisis; I can only assume both camps (as well as the middle) were reasonably disgusted by Saddam's heinous oppression (to the extend they were aware of it at all).

Frank Apisa wrote:
Quote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

This "seeming to answer without actually answering" is something I've not seen in you before this.

If you really don't want to answer…no problem, Bill…but I really do not understand your response.
Again I'm confused. in 1863 the United States was in the middle of a civil war and it's unlikely many people at that time, here or abroad, thought the Americans were better off than they had been a few years earlier. Sound familiar? It should... because that's essentially where Iraq is today. That a murderous tyrant, or "strong man" if you prefer, delayed the inevitable by means of mass murder, torture and rape, while a minority of like minded people enjoyed the spoils of his oppression, can not and should not be confused with "better off".

The Shia were unfairly oppressed by Saddam. Sunnis may now face the backlash... but a reversal of this tyranny is not an equitable solution, IMO, and being as it was the United States who cut the chains of oppression, I would consider it a travesty if we then turned the blind eye while one tyranny was replaced by another. It may be a long row to hoe, but the only shot these people have of ever living in peace is if they can agree on a compromise that leaves neither living in the chains of oppression. Consider it an idealistic fantasy if you must; but if this can be accomplished; it may very well serve as a beacon of hope to oppressed people living in other nations dealing with the same issues.

I consider it the height of inconsistency that the peace-nics are the ones who most scoff at the notion of world-peace. In the high-tech world of the future; I believe the likely alternative is world-destruction, so it is unlikely I'll be joining the believers of hopelessness anytime soon.

snood wrote:
No matter what denials or protestations are raised, it's totally accurate to state that many on the right have had to alter their arguments to fit the changing face of the war.
No matter what denials or protestations are raised, it's totally accurate to state that many on the left AND the right have had to alter their arguments to fit the changing face of the war. I guess the lefties forgot how many of their ilk thought the world body wouldn't stand by for an invasion in the first place and even went so far as predicting WWIII.

It always amuses me how many of those on the left think it acceptable to broadly categorize those on the right with "Saddam had something to do with 9-11" nonsense, as if the left doesn't have it's share of ignorance as well. This is as ridiculous as those on the right categorizing the left with "George Bush had something to do with 9-11". Ignorance has no partisan boundary, and both sides are generally equally culpable.
0 Replies