Dying Languages -- Virtue or Vice?

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 09:03 pm
The New York Sun featured an interesting article on the negative and positive aspects of language extinction by the controversial linguist John McWhorter. I'll cut and paste the full text in a separate post to save space on the Forum's main page, but here's a teaser:

Quote:
The death of languages is typically described in a rueful tone. There are a number of books treating the death of languages as a crisis equal to endangered species and global warming. However, I'm not sure it's the crisis we are taught that it is.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 817 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Shapeless

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 09:05 pm
Dying Languages
by John McWhorter
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2006 08:14 am
Interesting. I remember when a white buffalo visited our zoo. Smile

So, what's your say, Shapeless?

Myself, I have a hard time swallowing a lot of this.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2006 11:40 am
I do as well, Flushd. Most of what I've read of McWhorter's has to do with his (equally) controversial claims about race rather than language, so I may be misconstruing his argument here, but he seems to be painting a rather black-and-white picture about linguistic diversity--apparently we can't have "easier communication," as he puts it, until we all speak one language. I'm not sure how bilingual people fit into his model, for example. Isn't it just as easy to suppose that linguistic diversity would facilitate rather than hinder "easier communication"?
0 Replies

Tico

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2006 11:49 am
I think anyone living in Canada can understand the language/culture support system (Québec, anyone?). And there's no doubt that mass media is undermining many non-English languages, especially those that don't have a critical mass of speakers. However we're also seeing the possible rise of new languages -- ebonics, for example, may be an infant language.

On the other hand, English has absorbed so much from other languages that it may well qualify as a bona fide international tongue.
0 Replies

evil person thing

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 10:38 am
It's utterly impossible.

Diversity is not a state to be achieved or resisted; it's intrinsic. And although English has pervaded much of the world, it can't make people give up their languages. English, I suppose, may currently be the most influential in the evolution of most languages worldwide but not so much as to be considered a replacement. It would be amusing, to say the least, to hear what the French would have to say to this. Language is associated with culture, and thus with identity. People can not forget the language in which their books are written, which give meaning to their very names, and which are generally associated with individuality, independence and freedom. New words for unknown things may be coined in the prevalent tongue, but that is all.

Language develops according to the needs of the people, and there aren't words in English for items in other places. Even if a lingua franca close to English is developed, it will differ from region to region, so the different types of English will be deemed as different languages.
0 Replies