THE SHORE FROM WHICH NO ONE RETURNS . . .

Setanta

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 07:19 am
Governor Taft of Ohio has, on the very eve of execution, commuted the sentence of Mr. Campbell to life imprisonment without parole.

Cincinnati Inquirer article[/color]

Is this, in view of the actions of the Governor of Illinois, evidence of a trend? Is the death penalty on the way out? Do you think it should be?

Your thoughts, please . . .
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,208 • Replies: 27
No top replies

PDiddie

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 07:45 am
A glacial trend, dog.

We had a lively thread on this topic when Gov. Ryan commuted the death sentences of all of the inmates on Illinois' death row.

It's in General News' Featured Topics, or it's also here, and it's germane to answering your question.

I'm agin' killin'. Killin' is wrong. Killin' somebody 'cause they killed somebody is way wrong.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 07:48 am
C'mon, everyone knows that all prisoners on death row are innocent...good on Taft there....it ain't my tax dollars at work, they are hard at work right here in Canada, where there is no death penalty.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 07:50 am
I believe under certain circumstances the death penalty is justified and indeed warranted. There should be a strengthening of the laws by which it is applied. Possibly a three or five federal judge panel who reviews the case and approves or sets aside the sentence of capital punishment. In any event it should nor be barred as an option.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 07:59 am
I agree with au1929. It is always easy to make a prima facie case that "all killing is wrong, therefore, execution is wrong." However, I find that the issues are a little more complicated than that. There are people out there who truly cannot exist in society, who cannot be 'rehabilited' (that is such a crock, and a failed experiment, IMO), and who should not be supported by the state. One could argue that a lifetime of imprisonment is actually a worse fate than execution, but humans are incredibly adaptable, and I don't buy it. Special tribunals for special cases are a good idea, as well as stricter application of the sentence, but no, I do not think it should become a thing of the past.
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 09:30 am
Yeah I was just thinking. A freemans city. Let someone build a city for the future. Up north high in the mountains where come havoc and climate change this would be our Noahs Ark of Humanity. A library with all the fundamentals of civilization as well. Every inmate who participates and builds this wonderous new place would be free there at the city. They would also take the extream punishment of death by choice injection is any rule is ever broken. Freedom at a price but a crack at saving humanity.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 09:46 am
The immediate trend, I think, is to get a close review of the cases where people have been sentenced to death. It's a good trend. I think the death penalty is necessary in a few extreme cases but it has been way overused.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 12:48 pm
108 people have been released from death row in the United States due to actual innocence since 1976.

Actually no-one really knows, how many more innocent have been executed.
But quite some people seem to have been were sentenced to death after trials tainted by misleading forensic evidence and testimony from jailhouse informants.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 12:49 pm
Additionally, Walter, there is an increasing trend for appeals based upon malpractice by defense attorneys--the Supremes just granted a stay for exactly that reason.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 01:00 pm
Will check in occasionally to see if this takes any turns that the other thread didn't take. No point in floggin equus.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 01:02 pm
You know, PD, Equus may not appreciate the implication that he is moribund . . .
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 01:08 pm
Ave, Setanta, moriturus te salutat!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 01:09 pm
Ah, yer a bad man, Boss, so ye are . . . heeheeheeheeheeheehee . . .
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 01:10 pm
Agreed.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 01:17 pm
So, in spite of your Irishness and Germanness, it would appear that the two of you are Latin lovers.

(Goddamn, I kill me.)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 02:11 pm
(Yeah, i know what ya mean, i crack me up all the time . . . )

Walter said, "Hail, Setanta, we who are about to die salute thee."--which refers to the gladiators' salutation to the emperor, before beginning the "games" . . .
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 02:13 pm
I know what salute I'd be giving in those circumstances...
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 02:22 pm
patiodog

Walter didn't say that but: 'Hi there Setanta, the one who is moribund, salutes you'

(Boss, you should have noticed the singular, paddy-you!)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 02:36 pm
Ah well, my latin was learned in a sty, so i'm not particular about gender, number, case . . .
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 05:10 pm
I have been pro death penalty, with some stout reservations, all my life. Just lately, I am starting to bend. It's come to seem like every other organized activity in our country - too screwed up to be allowed.
0 Replies